KA-BAR mishap.....

This is a discussion on KA-BAR mishap..... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my new Ka-Bar TDI from my cheaper than dirt order. Good news! I haven't had a mishap with my knife yet, but it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KA-BAR mishap.....

I got my new Ka-Bar TDI from my cheaper than dirt order. Good news! I haven't had a mishap with my knife yet, but it is sharp as can be. I don't think I want to try out your superglue cure any time soon!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Half of all my many scars are from self inflicted injuries... cuts from a sharp blade heal quicker than those from a dull blade. Oh yeah, been there, done that and got the t-shirt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Could have been worse...I've seen the best dumb one yet(and no it wasn't me). When I was a kid a bunch of us used to go camping in some woods near a friends house. We had all gone out one weekend and all 4 of us bought the same "survival" knife. I forget the brand now. Anyway, they came with a canvas sheath and had a sort of thick plastic liner inside it. We quickly discovered the liners came out (as in, they broke). So the routine when we removed one of those knives from the canvas sheath was that we then had to remove the thick, black plastic from the blade before use.

Back to the camping trip...So we stayed up way too late one night. Anyway, (lets just call him bob), bob decided it was a good idea to hang our food so in the dark mind you, he pulls out his trusty survival knife and cuts a length of clothsline cord to use to toss over a high tree branch. He unsheaths the knife (pretty dark out). We think nothing of it...routine at this point, but then he proceeds to remove the plastic thingy that USUALLY is covering the blade.

Apparently this time the darn thing actually stayed in the sheath where it belonged so he really DID unsheath the knife completely on first attempt...meaning he actually just sliced his hand WIDE OPEN trying to remove a plastic piece that wasn't there. Picture full palm wraparound grip on the blade and pull blade out...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I just got a Byrd Cara Cara in the mail today. I touched the blade and realized it was SHARP. I will be very, very careful with it. Believe it or not, I'm actually a little nervous with it. I've been using dull blades for so long, I never worry about cutting myself. I had to open a plastic bag earlier and it was like I just waved a wand at the bag and it was open.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That warm blood puts the final temper on the blade.
    True but they then have this thrist for more . Sort of a vampire knife.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

cj
    You can always tell the serious knife dealers at shows...they're the ones with band-aids all over the table. The cheap-made-in-China places don't really need them :)

I've got a number of the various Ka-Bar folders and yes, they come sharp!

I remember when the Spyderco serrated knives first hit market. Most of the guys in my platoon bought them. All of us had that magic cut on our thumbs.
    Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

Remember the boy scout knifes back in the 60's I will never forget whittling sticks and how many times the centrifugal force caused the blade to close on my index finger of knife hand,I still got scars
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

CTD promo code?

anyone have this promo code? and is it still valid?

I don't have a picture at the moment, but I used to work in a deli, that was anything but safe....it was a death trap. All the metal tables had jagged edges and many places to scratch yourself on, the lady at the pharmacy was always scanning off boxes of bandaids for store use because we had to keep re-filling our first aid kit

So I'm sharpening a 12" chef knife.....

and the floor was really slick....picture a mixture of chicken blood/juice, peanut oil for frying chicken, and water....

yea it's going to get pretty ugly....

It's a table clamped shapener, I have my hand about 4 inches to the left of it, resting on the table, then as I lean forward and prepare to place the blade in between the two sharpening rods, my feet slip out from under me, my chest hits the back of the blade, and then I hear a *click* sound.....

I look down and I see my wrist, ALL I see is white flesh wide open and then 2 seconds later blood gushes all down my wrist, I run over to the sink and the silver sink is covered in red, it's all over the place, my coworker is at the counter and she had no idea any of this was happening, I was in so much shock I just kept reapeating No...No....oh **** no way....I stumble to the back room to grab something to wrap it with, my vision blurs, I leave a trail of blood all the way, then about 30 secs later I snap to and walk to the store manager's office, they rush me to the E.R.

I go there, they tell me "It's too deep"....which was stupid because if I wasn't in shock I would panic after hearing that. I severed all 3 tendons on my thumb, right at the wrist. They weren't able to repair tendons there, so they just told the manager who drove me there to tell me that...

So then we have to drive to another hospital 15 min away, wait 2 hours, they stitch me up after telling me the truth about my wrist that he can see right into the wound and that all the tendons are completely severed in half

A week later the doctor gets a full staff and sets a date for surgery, they stitched my wrist from the inside(?) like a plastic surgeon does, re-connected the 3 tendons, nerve endings, blood vessels, and the joint capsule was damaged but from what I remember that was to heal on it's own, it wasn't shattered, just struck by the blade.

I had to spend 4 months in a splint + sling, and then spent 6 months in physical therapy. With a hot blonde named Heidi She used words like "limber" and had soft hands....yea....that made me all better much quicker

They didn't even expect me to recover 60%, they estimated 52% because of the damage to the nerves , but I recovered 91%, they said it was nothing short of a miracle, definitely due to my willpower. Even had methods for me to reduce the scar, which worked, most people don't notice until I put my thumb to my pinky finger, all those thoroughly lubricated cocoa butter hand massages Heidi gave me worked very well, they softened the scar tissue.

God bless America for worker's comp, it cost over $20,000 I didn't have to pay a penny. They day after they threw in the rubber mats that they were SUPPOSED to have near the rotisserie chicken oven, chicken fryer, and dish washing sinks (I was in the middle of these 3 locations)

Be safe with sharp blades and make sure you have firm footing and are standing completely STILL and STRAIGHT, if you work for a company that doesn't fully follow OSHA guidelines, quit or be adamant that they have the proper safeguards in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    I don't have a picture at the moment, but I used to work in a deli, that was anything but safe....it was a death trap. All the metal tables had jagged edges and many places to scratch yourself on,;.......Be safe with sharp blades and make sure you have firm footing and are standing completely STILL and STRAIGHT, if you work for a company that doesn't fully follow OSHA guidelines, quit or be adamant that they have the proper safeguards in place.

That's a Heckuva story and is a perfect example of how easy it is to have a life-altering event.

Good job on the recovery.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links