Knife Sharpner for an idiot - Page 2

Knife Sharpner for an idiot

This is a discussion on Knife Sharpner for an idiot within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is what I use. It works great. It is a little pricey and you may be able to find one cheaper somewhere else. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here is what I use. It works great. It is a little pricey and you may be able to find one cheaper somewhere else. I carry a Benchmade knife and the steel is so hard that the Diamond Stones are the only thing that I can get to touch the stuff.

GATCO Knife Sharpeners at Knives Town - Knife Sharpeners - GATCO Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener System, Model G10004

Another vote for the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have used one for years. Even I can make a dull blade sharp.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

I thought I'd try the cheapest first - The Smith.

I went by the local Lowes and they didn't know *** I was talking about. "We don't carry any knife shapeners". Ok fine.

Now I just ordered a Lansky 5 stone system. Now that looks almost me-proof. :) We'll see.

If I can't use the Lansky, I must really be an idiot and I'll probably pay one of you guys to sharpen it for me. lol
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Sponsor
    By the time I set up the Lansky, I can sharpen 10 knives on the Spyderco Ceramic kit. I find them more of a PITA than they are worth myself, but good luck with it, let us know how yu like it.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Can I just drive over to your house and let you sharpen my Spyderco for me? I'll bring a 6 pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    By the time I set up the Lansky, I can sharpen 10 knives on the Spyderco Ceramic kit. I find them more of a PITA than they are worth myself, but good luck with it, let us know how yu like it.

Brownie

you can do it chucke, we have faith in you.once you get going you will probably get really good at it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

actually finding the angle

Aside from all the posts on what sharpener to actually find the angle of grind on the blade use a sharpie or grease pencil or such and color over the ground (Shiny) surface of the blade. take a couple strokes on the setting you think is right, just pick one. Then see how much of the blade grind is shiny again. Repeat the coloring on the different settings and see which one gets the best contact on the blade edge.

GREAT ADVICE...man I knew about this before but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the post!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Sponsor
    chuckE,

Can I just drive over to your house and let you sharpen my Spyderco for me?

Yes you can. I just sharpened two bowies and 8 folders yesterday at the gun shop for customers. It took me no more than 15 minutes to put sharp working edges on the 8 folders and one bowie.

The other bowie customer wanted a razor edge, that took me another two minutes

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I use the Lansky Diamond. I've had it ever since they came out with the Diamond. There are some newer type sharpeners out there but, I'm not super motivated to go out shopping for yet another knife sharpener when the Lansky does a real nice job for me.

Heck, when I saw your thread title, I thought it was a trade offer....I was thinking, hey, I need a sharpener, and I've got way too many idiots at work...
    What Would Gumby Do?

I just got the Deluxe Lansky Kit with the 5 stones. I started with the Coarse (I didn't use the Extra Coarse).

I spent about 20 minutes fiddling and sharpening. I don't think I did a very good job. I used the 20 degree hole and it still doesn't seem very sharp. I'll have to give it another go starting with the Extra Coarse.

Any more advise?

I have a lansky, but will admit I am not that great at sharpening. I saw this knife care site and it sounds like it is definitely taken to the next level.

Towards the bottom of the page they mention the system they actually use (since they are a knife shop and grind a lot of blades) - the edge pro looks a lot like a lansky on steroids.

Here is a picture of their homeowners version - the commercial version looks somewhat more substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    I just got the Deluxe Lansky Kit with the 5 stones. I started with the Coarse (I didn't use the Extra Coarse).

I spent about 20 minutes fiddling and sharpening. I don't think I did a very good job. I used the 20 degree hole and it still doesn't seem very sharp. I'll have to give it another go starting with the Extra Coarse.

Any more advise?
    If you used a different angle that what it already had, it takes a minute to get it right. Also, it is SO much easier to touch up a knife on a regular basis than completely resharpen a dull knife.

You can use whatever angle you like, just might take a little time to get the blade set there. The less angle there is, the sharper it will be, but will also dull faster. Using a little larger angle will still get the knife plenty sharp, and will stay sharper longer.

I like my pocket knives crazy sharp though, and I just touch it up on one of those two-sided Spyderco stones after I use it some, when I get home from work.

Now my fixed blade work knife that I use to cut open bags all day at work, I sharpen with a big coarse stone, and that's good enough for it.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

So you think maybe I should try a 25 degrees?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links