Would you carry a taser where a gun "cant" go?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a taser where a gun "cant" go? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KenInColo Six, is it true that once the taser shuts off, the tasee is right back in the fight? Yes. It is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you carry a taser where a gun "cant" go?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Six, is it true that once the taser shuts off, the tasee is right back in the fight?
    Yes. It is very true. The most out of shape butter bean of a person will be right back in it after the cycle is over.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

IMO, if you're not going to carry a gun, get some OC, a knife, and a flashlight (impact weapon).

for an idea of how quickly someone can get back into action after "the ride," take a look at this video: YouTube - TASER Experiment
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

pax
    The C2 has a feature that allows you to "stack" multiple discharges. After initial deployment, you can press the trigger repeatedly to build up somewhere around 30 seconds worth of discharge i believe.. could be wrong on the time.
    No, that amount of time -- 30 seconds -- happens with a single press of the trigger button.

If you want it to fire for less time, you have to deliberately shut it off.

That really would be ideal if it weren't for the whole human/mugger torch aspect...
    So true ...

Someday there will be an ideal defensive tool that is not lethal. We aren't there yet.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    IMO, if you're not going to carry a gun, get some OC, a knife, and a flashlight (impact weapon).

for an idea of how quickly someone can get back into action after "the ride," take a look at this video: YouTube - TASER Experiment
    Wow... after watching that video i think im ready to totally discard the taser as a viable defense tool. I've never seen recovery time testing like that before...

It seems then that the taser is about as useful as having a fat kid sit on the BG for about 30 seconds, then get up...

Far from ideal.

In fact, it almost seems like the taser kicks off a mammoth adrenaline boost that actually increases the tasee's intensity. It seems like a person who had just been tased would be very resistant to pain compliance or even ynon-critical bullet wounds. It looks like you can see the 2nd guys hands shaking because he's so pumped up.

Not a good thing at all.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

you really need one of those weapons they have on the enterprise that knock people out for an hour or more.
    capt. Picard is pretty hard to get in touch with though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

touche'
    So do you think a form 4 would cover that?
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    Wow... after watching that video i think im ready to totally discard the taser as a viable defense tool. I've never seen recovery time testing like that before...

It seems then that the taser is about as useful as having a fat kid sit on the BG for about 30 seconds, then get up...

Far from ideal.

In fact, it almost seems like the taser kicks off a mammoth adrenaline boost that actually increases the tasee's intensity. It seems like a person who had just been tased would be very resistant to pain compliance or even ynon-critical bullet wounds. It looks like you can see the 2nd guys hands shaking because he's so pumped up.

Not a good thing at all.
    Of the 3, one was firing 2 seconds after the ride ended, one of the others took 3 seconds, not sure about the third.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Can't even imagine using or wanting to use a taser.

Either it's going to be my OC spray with a sidearm...just the OC spray, or just the sidearm. I seldom go to places that do not recognize my right to self-defense.

The taser is a tool to be used by LEO's to prevent injury to the BG or to prevent officer injury during arrest. I'm not a cop...I'm not interested in preventing injury to the BG...I only want to permanently stop the threat.

Stay armed...have your tools ready...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I dont think a tazer will do much on someone trippin on PCP/angeldust, or another mind altering drug.

Its going to take a big caliber gun.

I would if I could. But being from the very strange State of New York, where things change county by county, you cannot legally own a taser, but can legally own handguns. Go figure.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

pax
    I dont think a tazer will do much on someone trippin on PCP/angeldust, or another mind altering drug.
    Yes, it actually will. A Taser is not a pain-compliance device (if it were, as you say, it wouldn't work on druggies). But although it hurts like a dirty word, that's not how it works. It actually works by disrupting the physical signals from the brain to the muscles, by putting so much noise down the nerve conduit that the real signals can't get through. You literally have no sensation of what your limbs are doing when you are Tased, and no way of telling where your limbs are except by looking. And that's true whether you're on drugs or not.

Again, there are some drawbacks and weaknesses to a Taser, and (IMO) they're not yet ready to be considered for effective civilian defense. But what they do, they do very well indeed. As our LEO friends have discovered, when used within department guidelines, Tasers are massively effective against everyone including those on mind altering drugs.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

if you dont carry in a gun free zone that is your own stupidity for following rules and usually not laws. if its in a zone where i cant carry it cause it has metal detectors and i wont be carry a tazer either.

Thats when polymer knives come in .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links