Would you carry a taser where a gun "cant" go?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a taser where a gun "cant" go? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you know I'm a college student, soon to be living in a campus dorm in a pretty rough part of town unfortunately. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you carry a taser where a gun "cant" go?

As some of you know I'm a college student, soon to be living in a campus dorm in a pretty rough part of town unfortunately. While state laws says that I can have my CCW pistol in the car, in the parking lot, that doesnt do me much good.

I'm an active member of "Students for concealed carry on campus" but so far that has been met with next to no serious consideration.

Equally, i am fairly limited by my choice of edged weapons. All it takes is for one tree-hugging hippie to complain to the RA that i've got "a really big knife" and that scenario will get equally unpleasant.

I'm attracted to taser's relatively new C2 model. In theory it could provide the functionality of a flashlight while giving me at least SOME measure of defense ability, and its "shaver" form probably wouldn't draw much, if any serious attention.

What do you think?
    Is it a paperweight? or the only option i've got? More importantly is it worth the $250?

TASER C2
    Last edited by Slimz13; September 13th, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added a link
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

If it's legal where you are, then it just might be a compromise you have to make. Can't speak for that model, but study taser effects and limitations. Use it, as a firearm, as a last resort. Better than throwing your laptop...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If you've ever been on the receiving end of one, you know it's no laughing matter!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

It's usefulness is limited.

Once used... pretty much all you can do is RUN!

Afterwards (and assuming it works on your attacker)... YOU will have one VERY pissed off person coming at you.

And it's only one shot. Afterwards you either refill from a distance... or use it as a pain control device (stun gun - contact distance).

In just about ALL colleges... YOU will not be "allowed" to carry a Taser by policy. Not even pepper spray is technically authorized.

So if you are already breaking school policy (but not the law)... then carry the most lethal choice (whatever that may be).

It's a lot better to be kicked out of school than taken out in a body bag.

I suggest that you carry various items so you can confront a serious threat that does not DETER with your first choice of tool(s) to find another "target"... but that's just my opinion.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Yeah, the only reason i'm looking at a taser over a gun or knife is that its much harder to spot for what it really is. I doubt i would get called out even on a knife. I mean, people are very aware that its a bad part of town. But I get the feeling that people would be more understanding about a taser than a knife, especially one that looks like it was made to get rid of your 5-o'clock shadow, not a thug with a hoodie and a gun.

I've been doing my homework and the C2 is designed to be deployed, then set down so the victim can run while it continues to discharge for up to several minutes i believe. Its a far cry from my Ruger 357, but it might buy me enough time to get TO my 357 in the car...

I'm just very uncomfortable with the whole situation.

EDIT: You'll get a kick out of this, i just read that they actually make a version of the C2 with a built in mp3 player.. makes me think of the Glock with the cell phone built into it.

I dont know that a Taser can go into court houses. I know mace and pepper spray cant

I know it will most likely be against school regulations, but thats a risk i'm willing to take as it will be the only place i really will need to take it.

Make sure its what you want. I read about it on the sight and this kind of scared me. Its basically like the serial stamping on the bullets.

"We are committed to doing the most we can to prevent potential misuse of our products.

Accordingly, we have developed an advanced TASER device tracking program called AFID (Anti-Felon Identification). Our AFID program enforces accountability for each use of the TASER device and has worked successfully for over 14 years with citizen sales.

Each TASER cartridge sold for use with the TASER device has a unique serial number. This serial number is printed in a bar code format on the back of each TASER cartridge. At the time the probes are packed into each TASER cartridge, approximately 20-30 pieces of film printed with the serial number of that TASER cartridge are loaded behind them. Every TASER cartridge that is sold by TASER International is than entered into our shipment tracking system.

When the TASER C2 is deployed, these AFID tags are dispersed at the scene. The large number of AFIDs and their small size makes it impractical to clean up. Should law enforcement investigate a suspected TASER deployment, the AFID tags can easily be found for a complete trace on the serial number by TASER International.

The innovated AFID program was developed and implemented by TASER International at our own cost. It is not required by law; we think it's the right thing to do.

No other weapon in the world - guns, knives, chemical and pepper sprays, electronic defense units, or batons - can be traced from evidence at the scene of the crime to the registration of the user. It all comes back to registration, verification, tracking, and responsibility."

Bingo. That's also something i'm aware of.
    I havent decided yet if this is a pro or a con.

On one hand, if i deploy the taser its coming back to me whether i like it or not.
    On the other hand, this makes a great sales pitch to someone who doesnt like the idea of me having one on campus.

I feel confident that IF i had to deploy the taser i would have no problems with the AFID tags because the police would hear it from me first.

Same thing Im thinking but still don't know if i like it. It sure isn't as detrimental here as it would be on regular amunition. at least these can't be reloaded. What about the otion of an after market cartridge. Do they have those? Not manufactured by tazer therefore wthout the AFID tags?

pax
    A group of friends and I had the opportunity to go hands on with a C2 not that long ago. My thoughts:

If it were a choice between a Taser and a firearm, I'd take the firearm. Every time, hands down, no contest.

If it were a choice between a Taser and pepper spray, I'd really want both -- using the Taser first and then using the pepper spray to blind the attacker after he was down, to prevent him from pursuing me as I ran to safety. Unfortunately, the Taser is marked with a big caution that mentions a fire hazard caused by the interaction between Taser & OC. Too bad! Given the cost of the Taser, and the relative inexpense of OC: unless you have a real reason to avoid the OC, I think you'd do better off to carry OC. But both these items have certain specific drawbacks, and both have strengths the other does not have.

If it were a choice between a Taser or nothing, I'd sign up for martial arts training and carry the Taser. I would not carry it without some martial arts training, preferably a significant amount of realistic modern combatives.

And I would be very very aware of all the ways it could go bad. That means I'd not just buy one cartridge to go with the unit. I'd buy several, and would commit to testing with them so I understood what it was & was not capable of doing for me. From personal observation, I'd say that the ways the police use these puppies is just about unbeatable and undefeatable. But the ways a civilian has to or is likely to use them actually creates several significant weaknesses. I won't go into detail. But the weaknesses are there.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

they do make some weapons that look like pens.( knives and sprays) also would they really notice a knife if you kept it in your pocket all the time?
    i carry an spyderco endura wave w/just clipped to my front pocket and no one ever notices it.
    i am often surprised at how unobservant most people really are.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Administrator
    As much as I love the Taser as a LE tool, I think its a horrible idea for general public use.

Oh yeah, most places your gun can't go, the Taser can't too. Read up on the municipality or states definitions before you spend your cash on a marginally effective weapon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As much as I love the Taser as a LE tool, I think its a horrible idea for general public use.

Oh yeah, most places your gun can't go, the Taser can't too. Read up on the municipality or states definitions before you spend your cash on a marginally effective weapon.
    Six, is it true that once the taser shuts off, the tasee is right back in the fight?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

IMHO He'll be disoriented and weak, but a particularly robust individual could be back on his feet within a few seconds of the taser's cycle ending from what i've seen.

The C2 has a feature that allows you to "stack" multiple discharges. After initial deployment, you can press the trigger repeatedly to build up somewhere around 30 seconds worth of discharge i believe.. could be wrong on the time.

Taser designed it to be depoyed, set down, and left behind as the vic flees. With this in mind they say they'll replace your taser if you can provide a police report of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    If it were a choice between a Taser and pepper spray, I'd really want both -- using the Taser first and then using the pepper spray to blind the attacker after he was down, to prevent him from pursuing me as I ran to safety.

pax
    That really would be ideal if it weren't for the whole human/mugger torch aspect...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links