Stinger !

This is a discussion on Stinger ! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ann The 2 finger knuckle in my avatar is real..good luck finding one Why spend all the $$$ on a top popper ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stinger !

Quote Originally Posted by ann
    The 2 finger knuckle in my avatar is real..good luck finding one

Why spend all the $$$ on a top popper when one of these "bottle openers" in the pic are about 5.00 and will do the same...but they dont come in flamed ti so I guess they wont work

Brillium Coper or nothing!

Where do you find tool you mentioned for about $5.00?

Thanks,
    Adrian

2. Remove Ads

Rob,

I was afraid of that being the case. I know in N.Y.S. that is how it works, but I hoped that it was only a NY thing. Ya know, keep the weapons in the hands of the criminals, and away from the evil right-wingers.

I think knuckles are allowed in F.L. (not quite sure). I hardly ever carry it, cause to me the Popper looks more like knuckles, than a bottle opener. Where a kubotan isn't easily recognised. Pulse the kubotan is way more versatile. Also, like Ann said. Its way too costly to fall out of my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Interesting, I also notice they are plastic. Might be the answer for "airline" defense.

Don't try it. The TSA has a catalog of contact weapons including the Stinger and the address of the manufacturer. There are instructions for TSA personal to confiscate and possibly procecute if you try to get on a plane with one of these. Many have slipped by but, I would not try it.

The 2 finger knuckle in my avatar is real..good luck finding one

Why spend all the $$$ on a top popper when one of these "bottle openers" in the pic are about 5.00 and will do the same...but they dont come in flamed ti so I guess they wont work
    My favorite EDC impact device is a $10 (Good Cause Sale) G-10 kubobaton.
    In most jurisdictions, knuckles, of any "clearly evident" sort will buy you a non-negotiable trip to the pokey(not just confiscation of your contraband). The popper is "no big deal" to anyone not up on it. Put a "Coors" sticker on it, no one will even look twice.....

Popping someone with knucks leaves incontravertible marks- you will be charged with attempted manslaughter, intent to maim, or similar, depending on the final condition of the person whacked(not to mention the weapons charge). The popper would be extremely difficult to attribute, if you (LE) were not in possession of it.

Edit to add: There is no debate about what is pictured-those are knucks, not a "bottle opener". The popper gives more "wiggle-room".

I disagree , the top popper to me is just another variation in a long line of single finger "knuck" designs,that stands out for what it is(The flamed TI does not help IMO).

I have seen a few single finger duster designs that come very close to it,made around 1920. Here is a pic of another type of single finger knuck.

I like theSN top popper design dont get me wrong... its a cool variation on the single finger knuckle design...I just dont think it would fool anyone with a wee bit of knowledge.

FWIW-The 5.00 type 2 finger knucks do open bottles also . They can be found EZ on the net they come in many colors,some are brass,steel and their is even a chrome plate if you like bling.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ann; December 15th, 2005 at 04:56 PM.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Don't try it. The TSA has a catalog of contact weapons including the Stinger and the address of the manufacturer. There are instructions for TSA personal to confiscate and possibly procecute if you try to get on a plane with one of these. Many have slipped by but, I would not try it.
    That was just a passing thought. I'll just keep carrying teh weapon they have yet to figure out how to take........... My keys!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

TSA personnel are real sharp .

The last time I flew I did a very dumb move. I forgot I had a stripper with five .38 rds, in my carry on bag . Pulse several lighters. I didn't realise that I had the contraband until I was in NYS. I left the stripper clip in NY, but I kept the lighters in the bag. I wanted to see if TSA in Syracuse was as lax as Gainesville. The agent in Syracuse found one of the two lighters. (which was very helpful during my layover )

My faith in TSA isn't very high.

Think the police buy the story this is my "hand garden spade" and I am just on my way to my friends house to do some weeding.
    Attached Images

Both my wife and I hold our auto keys in exactly the same fashion: Butt against the palm, key between the fingers while making a fist around it. Same result, ONLY: Legal Anywhere (except maybe a prison or somesuch). The newer card keys usually have the large plastic "knob" end with the remote electronics built in, so its easy to grip. Not perfect, but it's better than a rock...

Quite an impressive collection ya' got there Ann! Any kubotans in the mix or strictly knucks? It's something else I've considered but think I'd be better off with a fixed blade carried weak side.
    Jack

I prefer the surefire E2D,E2E OR E2C for all my pocket stick & torch type needs or sometimes JUST for insane paranoid fun sometimes I carry my .380acp R.J. Braverman penpistol as a back up to my back up and it will work for a pocket stick in a pinch
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Surefire changed the "striking surfaces" of the E2D Defender. They don't look so wicked, but seem to be like they would be just as effective. I travel a lot and so far TSA hasn't said a word about it. I also carry the L4 in case a friend needs a light.

When I took the E2D international I did check it, just in case.

-Scott-

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Both my wife and I hold our auto keys in exactly the same fashion: Butt against the palm, key between the fingers while making a fist around it. Same result, ONLY: Legal Anywhere (except maybe a prison or somesuch). The newer card keys usually have the large plastic "knob" end with the remote electronics built in, so its easy to grip. Not perfect, but it's better than a rock...

I have three "dud" keys with the plastic butt, with lightly filed tips.......

I carry my .380acp R.J. Braverman penpistol as a back up to my back up and it will work for a pocket stick in a pinch
    Ho, ho! You do have exotic tastes! I searched far and wide for one of the .380's, before settling on the .22 LR (since sold).

Braverman never sold a complete.380 acp pen pistol it was a conversion barrel for the .25acp Braverman, it also fits the ADC pens.

Here it is in .25acp config with a custom .25 "dart" round,along with a couple of bingoshooters,old skool guardfather,wet work talonite claw ring,friends prototype impact device.
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links