Stinger !

Stinger !

This is a discussion on Stinger ! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a huge fan of comtechs STINGER and do not think they get enough attention as a non-lethal force multiplier . I like the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stinger !

Talking Stinger !

I am a huge fan of comtechs STINGER and do not think they get enough attention as a non-lethal force multiplier .

I like the fact that my training with the stingers can be crossed over to my push knives that I carry sometimes and some moves cross over to my V2 HAK that I carry also.

Any other fans of this excellent design IMO of a "legal" impact device.

I have used a stinger 1 time to get away from a person and they do work VERY WELL !
    Attached Images

Big fan of these too.

My lil sis carries one I got for her everywhere.

Funny story, when I first gave it to her, my brother was playing with it and making fun of it. He said, and I quote "That's stupid, how's that supposed to hurt anybody?"

He then, and I kid you not, balled it up in his own fist and struck himself in the chest with it halfassedly.

He literally knocked himself out of his own chair when he lost his balance reeling from the blow.

I gave him one for his girlfriend some time later. The experience made a believer out of him!

Lead Moderator
    Interesting, I also notice they are plastic. Might be the answer for "airline" defense.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I would get a Stinger, if I lost my "Top Popper".

The stinger is an excellent tool. I carry them in my store and have trouble keeping them in stock, they sell so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Interesting, I also notice they are plastic. Might be the answer for "airline" defense.

Ya' know, I hadn't even though of that. Sounds like enough of a reason to get one on its own.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    good defensive weapon. If I didn't carry so much stuff already I might have 1 too. I prefer pepper spray over it though as the deployment distance is greater.

Administrator

Check Your Local Laws

I am guessing that in Pennsylvania The Stinger could be looked upon as a device designed to circumvent the Prohibited Offensive Weapons law.
    Which might make the possession of it a 1st Degree misdemeanor because the offensive weapons law has a sort of "catch all" portion of it which is as follows:

"or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose."

Since the Stinger is being sold as an implement that can inflict serious bodily injury (though plastic in construction) & it serves no other common lawful purpose.

If somebody really wanted to "grab you" on it....their legal argument would probably be that the PA. law specifically prohibits Metal Knuckles.
    That term "Metal Knuckles" had been previously changed from "BRASS Knuckles" to a more generic "metal knuckles" since... some people tried to get around the "Brass Knuckles" prohibition by making knuckles in materials other than brass.

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.

"Offensive weapons."
    Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section: blah blah blah...........

So...in other words...you have a plastic implement...specifically designed to act as Pennsylvania Illegal knuckles....sold (see their Stinger advertisement) to inflict serious bodily injury....that serves no other common lawful purpose.

In PA (a Shall Issue State)...if you are not a prohibited person you can legally carry a defensive handgun just by paying the small License To Carry fee ~ but, that License To Carry does NOT allow you to carry or use what could be classed as Offensive Prohibited Weapons.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here in order to get folks to check out their local & State restrictions.
    Since in PA...you can lose your License To Carry if (in addition to carrying your Legal Handgun) you are are also carrying another type of prohibited weapon.

I agree with QKShooter. Here in Missouri, some "toys" are illegal by statute regardless of CCW status. I can carry a big fixed blade knife and three guns (or whatever) but I cannot carry brass knuckles. The Stinger looks like a good item, but where I live, I'm not sure I'd want to test the letter of the law.
    I used to live in PA, and the very best carry item I found back then was a 6-D Cell Maglite since it wasn't prohibited to carry a flashlight (which serves a common, lawful purpose).
    Anyway, just seconding the comment to check local and state restrictions.

You're in luck QK.

The Stinger is an acupressure and massage tool, even says so right on the packaging.

Administrator

I'm Only Best Guessing

I'm best guessing that in Pennsylvania it is not possible to attach a key ring & two keys to a switchblade & then tell the Judge it's just your key chain & keys & that is its useful purpose.

I'm not a lawyer & I am just doing a "common sense" argument here.

I'm also guessing that if somebody really wanted to tag a person in PA. with a first degree misdemeanor charge that they would just "Hit The Web" & then click "PRINT" for all of the legal ammunition that they needed in the court room.
    This took me about 2 seconds to find in a Google search.
    Click Here To Maybe Lose Your Pa. License To Carry

Of course, a person could put a really dumb look on their face & say: "I really thought it was a massage tool...Your Judgeship Sir."
    ....which would probably carry about as much credibility weight as...
    "I was just at a party & somebody musta slipped that Crack Pipe into my jeans pocket...I honestly don't know how it got in there...officer."

For myself....I am not willing to personally help clear up any grey areas in my State prohibited carry laws.
    Again...I sure am not telling anybody else what to carry or what not to carry.
    I am only telling them to check their respective idiosyncratic State & local laws & then make their own personal decision.

It is sad...that you can legally walk down any street with a heavy baseball bat but, that a small piece of high impact plastic could be legally misconstrued as a prohibited weapon. Some laws are Very Dumb...but, a dumb law (on the books) can get ya just as good as a sane law. It happens every day.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I good friend of mine lives in the dreaded "no carry Chicago" and I'm always worried for her safety. She has been chased and mugged a few times, I'm just praying that she doesn't get raped. Maybe I should get her one of those.

......why, Illinois, WHY???????
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

d2thomas, do it. Get a translucent colored one. I for instance knew my sister liked colorful blue things, so I got here the translucent blue stinger and she had Dad put it on her keychain immediately, where it still resides.

The reason I'm so happy this thing exists is simply that my sister will actually carry it regularly, and it's often in her hand because it's her keychain. There's something to be said for having a weapon immediately in hand when walking across a dark campus. She won't carry a light or OC spray anywhere but in the dark deep recesses of her feed bag aka purse, where they're useless.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    I would get a Stinger, if I lost my "Top Popper".
    +

Yeah, but you probably had to do nasty favors for a certain gnome to get your popper, didn't you? (Lucky bugger!)
    Last edited by Rob72; December 14th, 2005 at 05:44 PM.

Yeah, but you probably had to do nasty favors for a certain gnome to get your popper, didn't you?
    I would rather not talk about that.

It gave me a bad case of P.T.S.D. . Its just not cool to wake up in the middle of the night screaming .

I think my parents warned me about strange gnomes offering me "toys"?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links