Concealing our Knives...Do you? - Page 2

Concealing our Knives...Do you?

This is a discussion on Concealing our Knives...Do you? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kenpotex There is always the compromise between concealment and accessibility. Just a few minutes before reading this post, I was thinking similar ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concealing our Knives...Do you?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    There is always the compromise between concealment and accessibility.
    Just a few minutes before reading this post, I was thinking similar thoughts. Went out to shovel snow. Put on several layers due to 6 degrees F, and then wondered how long it would take to rip off mitten, glove, burrow under jacket, vest, and shirt to access G27. Probably way too long. Probably pocket-carry in the outer jacket would be better in this situation.

I carry my Spyderco Military IWB. No fuss, no muss.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    Just a few minutes before reading this post, I was thinking similar thoughts. Went out to shovel snow. Put on several layers due to 6 degrees F, and then wondered how long it would take to rip off mitten, glove, burrow under jacket, vest, and shirt to access G27. Probably way too long. Probably pocket-carry in the outer jacket would be better in this situation.
    I gree with your thoughts concerning peeling off garments to get to your weapon.

My current winter jacket would have issues with pocket carry from how the pockets are done. Not a problem with standing but doing various moves might cause it to either slip out enough for someone to see or even fall out.

I have adapted for winter carrying a Monadnock® baton carried in my back pocket of 5.11 trousers because belt carry defeats quick access. Would love to have a tailor create a SAP pocket for my 5.11.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I think situation/environmental awareness would be the 1st and most important tool!

As for as knife or knife clip being exposed or not, concealed all the time.
    I would rather people not know or assume, rather than me confirming it for them!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

VIP Member
    Mine's clipped to my waistband - anything clipped to my pockets tends to slide back out.

It's concealed under my shirt, but everyone at work knows I have it, because they're always coming to me so I can open packages for them.

I would prefer mine stay concealed. A nice knife cliped to someone's pocket gets my attention, and then I start wondering what other goodies the person is concealing.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I carry my knife on my weak hand side, cliped to my pocket. It's so common around here, that no one pays any attention. I've never had anyone mention it, or glance twice at it. And I wouldn't care if they did. There is no laws governing the carry of knives, as long as the knife itself is legal under state law(5.5 inch blade or less, not auto, etc), so I carry it everywhere. If I ever need to it to help retain my gun, I want it accessible YESTERDAY!! SO no concealment for me.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Good point. When I wear a coat/jacket, I carry an extra knife (CS ti-lite at the moment) in the pocket of the jacket for faster access. An added benefit here is that it doesn't look at all unusual to have your hand(s) in your pocket when it's cold, so you can have the knife in your hand ready to deploy w/o arousing suspicion.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have carried a pocket clip exposed Spyderco, and recently a Benchmade on the strongside for as long as I can remember everywhere I go. Nobody has ever said a thing about it. I would feel lost without my trusty knife in my pocket!!!!!!

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'm with HV...

since I got out of high school 3.5 years ago, I've carried a single bladed folding knife of some sort in my strong side front pocket. for a while, I was also carrying in the L rear pocket, but I replaced that with a leatherman wave tool on my belt at about 8 oclock.

-Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

SOB is not a great idea, for several reasons. 1) It can hurt you, if you fall. 2) It is extremely easy to spot from your blind-spot. 3) Even optimally, access ain't great.

As mentioned, you have compromises. What I have found, in the "Metrosexual" environment, is the "color" of the clip makes or breaks concealibility, almost as much as location.

I carry 1:00, IWB, clip behind the belt. It won't wiggle out of my pocket. No pocket junk gets in the way. Everyone carries in the strong-side pocket, few carry appendix. I can access with either hand.

Dark belt/dark slacks usually means something like an MT Terz, or Kershaw Boa (black clip).

Light slacks/light belt means something with a brushed/beadblasted clip.

Having considered the clip ID issue also helped with my decision for location of carry- the belt hides 90% of the clip, or more, depending on belt-width, whether my shirt blouses enogh to cover the upper end of the knife, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Good thoughts/inputs from all. I just picked up a Kershaw blur and a Kershaw blackout on Ebay. I love the assisted opening and how much "grip" they have. I'm going to try carrying IWB at 1:00 as I thought some of you make some good points about where you carry. I still think I'd like to try to keep as much concealed as possible. but clip color/ID was something I hadn't thought too much about.

For me a knife is a utility thing first and an absolute last ditch self defense weapon last. I sure hope I never have to use it because I'm older now, have a bad knee and have no training with it. Still if it came down to you or them and it's all you had...well...it's better than just lying their helpless.

If nothing else all the knifes and guns will be neat things to pass on to my children and grandchildren.

God bless and Merry Christmas!

Gideon

Gideon, FYI most auto-body shops, or coating shops will blast a couple of small parts for $5. You can also rub a shiny stainless clip with a 3M Scotchbrite pad to tone it down.

Pocket/IWB carry isn't usually "fast" (compared to a fixed blade, unless you are using some waved variant), but the goal is access, single-handed deployment, and sewing machine jabs, to get an assailant off you. This is all do-able with some basic practice. Kershaw's AO's are great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links