Concealing our Knives...Do you?

This is a discussion on Concealing our Knives...Do you? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the past year I've taken to carrying a knife and gun most of the time. Obviously the gun is concealed but the knife hasn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealing our Knives...Do you?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Question Concealing our Knives...Do you?

Over the past year I've taken to carrying a knife and gun most of the time. Obviously the gun is concealed but the knife hasn't been for the most part. In other words, the clip is visible on the folders I carry. I seems many carry in their strong side pocket and you can see the clip and the end of the knife. I typically carry SOB and of course, if you're behind me you can see the clip. Over the past few weeks I've had several people at work comment about the fact that I'm carrying a knife. I work in a professional office environment where it's not as "acceptable". To me, a large folder isn't comfortable in the pants pocket. On some of my dress pants there's an elastic band inside the waist at about 2:00 that i can hook my knife on keeping it rather accessible but totally concealed. I was curious about the rest of you? Do you try to keep your knife totally concealed? One thing for sure, if people are noticing the knife clip at my waist, they'll easily see two clips from a "tuckable" gun holster!

Just curious about what you folks do? I'm feeling more and more a need to conceal my knife completely and I've even thought of sewing an anchor point to the inside of my other pants.

Your thoughts?

Also, I got to handle a Kershaw Blur yesterday in Wally World. It had the black tanto blade; going for $54.00. It seems like a VERY nice knife!

God Bless and Merry Christmas!
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

ann
    My husband or I try never to "telegraph" with any type of weapon be it a out of place gun print or a knife pocket clip,glock baseball cap,NRA sticker in the car wondow,etc..I am very careful to watch my weapons print and not to touch/pat my weapons to check if they are still their,etc...for many reasons.

My husband even avoids camo type/5.11 type dress outside of his work.

I like to also see how well I can hide my EDC weapons/items and still have very fast access to them but appear 100% unarmed.Its a challenge for sure.
    Just kidding with the .22lr cell phone pic Yes,it is real and it is a 4 shot .22lr

FWIW-I read a court case from a few years ago(forgot the fine details)where a person saw a former "boyfriend" of his current girlfriend and saw that he had a folder cliped to his pants and was able to identify the knife by the clip...well to make a long story short.

The "current boyfriend" called the police and said the guy pulled a knife on him and said he would kill him.The guy was able to describe the knife with detail and when the other guy was searched lo and behold their is the knife so off to jail the dude goes.Just food for thought.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ann; December 17th, 2005 at 01:26 PM.

I've learned to just drop it loose by itself in its own pocket. I was using a pocket sheath for a while, but it kept falling out of the pocket knife included.

IMHO, here in Oregon it is common place to see folders along with multi-tools on all types of people including people in formal wear.

People react differently from one locale to another as you have already noticed.

To place things into perspective, recently adapted left-hand IWB carry for my hand gun. My main folder is a Spyderco Gunting in a kydex belt holster on my right side while I have an Emerson Karmabit left front pocket. This is my daily setup.

Now if tonight I was wearing a suit and tie (my suit is black) I would be carrying two Spyderco Massad Ayoob folders, one left, one right. Both have black pocket clips and ride low in the pocket to the point you might never notice they were there. My point about the suit here is I have selected folders which are easily purchased/drawn yet not seen easily, best of both worlds.

If my environment was different, and wanted to keep my folders concealed I would move to pocket carry with a pocket holster as seen in the link below, specifically for my Spyderco Gunting, count down to the number six image which is a pocket holster.

http://www.plastictrainer.com/Englis...-holsters.html

Some people may consider (depending on what they are wearing) neck carry either in the open or closed position. I had a sheath made up for a mid size tactical folder which is holstered in the closed position and when drawing the folder will open by itself

This is a Spyderco Calypso with micarta handle. I was looking for the SS version but at the time was being discontinued and decided to pick it up even though it was not SS. The box was labeled experimental model.

Any ways I feel there is no one method which pleases everyone and experimentation may be the order of the day for you.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

while I was still working everyone knew I carried and collected knives.
    any time someone needed a knife for something I was the first person they asked. I was always quite verbal about everyone should carry at least one pocket knife. I even bought many #8 opinals and gave them to all my friends. One of my supervisors forgot she had it in her purse and even carried it on the airplane once( pre 9/11) Here in Washington State it is pretty common to see people carrying knives clipped to pocket or a folding knife in a sheath.

Lead Moderator
    Her in MI it is common , atlest up north , to see most people with a knife. No one has commented on my Tuck This holster clip end showing either . I typically carry a Kershaw Blur on my weak side or, with nicer clothes IWB.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I carry a knife, not really as a back-up self-defense weapon, but I do like to conceal it. I don't want to upset anyone, or make them wonder what else I might be carrying. I do not display my Wilderness belt for the same reason.

I usually carry a folder with 3-inch blade, but sometimes carry a fixed-blade with 3.25 inch blade. Either is legal here and can be carried concealed with no permit. There is a legal maximum blade-length of 3.5 inches, however.

I carry my pistol on the left and clip the folder to my right front pocket if my shirt tail is long enough to cover the end of the knife. If not, I drop it into my pocket.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - location is IMO everything. Such a spread of response to knife visibility according to area.

I must admit, I have never yet concealed my knife - as only the clip shows (weak side pocket) - and you'll see many many guys with a clip in pocket. Must say, re Ann's mention of knife ID via visible clip - I really doubt I could tell with most. My Buck Mayo has a pretty nondescript clip really. Still hanker for a BOA yet!

My knife carry is 50/50 - utilitarian use/defence. The Mayo is slow to deploy (reason I want a BOA) but as ever - distance and con' yellow would hopefully enable me to pre-empt any need with sufficient time to get it out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

ann
    Here is a couple knives that would be very EZ to ID by their clips.IMO

1. Emerson

2. Microtech

3. Cuda Maxx Deep carry clip
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh now yeah - there I can see some ID factors.

Glad my Buck is so nondescript!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Dont usually carry much of a knife here permit doesnt cover it carry a superknife and thats it

here is a little harder on things than up north farther where Rocky is

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I've learned to just drop it loose by itself in its own pocket. I was using a pocket sheath for a while, but it kept falling out of the pocket knife included.
    Me too. I picked up a beautiful Spyderco Delica today at the gunshow for about $35. It has the partially serrated blade. Very sweet. I'll let it sit at the bottom of my pocket next to my SureFire Nitrolon Light.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I carry a Gerber,double edged,streight blade,in the origional leather sheith.(5" blade) This rides in my offhand pocket with just the very top(about 1") of the grip showing above the pocket. This is usually covered by my shirt. The knife can be unsnapped while being produced, and with a flick of the wrist the sheith comes flying off. This weapon is NEVER taken from my pocket. I do not carry a utility knife for cutting rope,peeling apples,etc. This type of blade is legal to carry for us Fla. CCW'ers. ---------

VIP Member
    I carry 1-3 knives at any given time. Given my traveling and places I go they are the highest force option I have available to me. They are all folders and all under 4" or 3" blade length depending on where I am. If I am in an area that has laws that are "open to interpretation" I will carry a utility type knife versus a defensive knife.

Visibility depends on what I am doing and where I'm doing it. When I am doing presentations (as a professional trainer that is my main function) everything is concealed appropriately. If I am doing install type work then exposed is ok. So for me it varies.

-Scott-

I carry 3-4 but my primaries are a pair of spyderco enduras (dremel-waved). One clipped to my right-rear pocket, the other clipped to my left-hip pocket. And if someone sees them, oh well. It's not uncommon to see people with a knife/multitool in this area and I really doubt that most people are observant enough to notice anyway.

There is always the compromise between concealment and accessibilty (sp?). My thing is that, since they are carried to be used in a defensive role, they won't do me any good in the bottom of a pocket. Particulary when you need them fast or when you're in a bad position. For example: tied up in the clinch, or on the ground (if you don't believe me, try rolling around on the floor while trying to access your knife while someone is hitting you).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links