Defensive Carry banner

Does anyolne carry a neck knife?

4K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  mousehunter 
#1 ·
I have a couple but have never carried them around my neck now I have a job where a knife would be out of place and I am thinking it may be a good option.
Any opinions on good knifes and or neck carry in general?

#2 ·
I bought a small one made by Cold Steel. It was nice and easy to wear, I hardly knew it was there. BUt when I worked on a car, while laying on my back, or doing any physical activity, the darn thing would be behind my back or swung some where under my shirt where i couldn't get to it.

so, into the junk drawer it went.

#3 ·
I work at a Fire Department where it is perfectly acceptable to where a knife, I usually carry a Cold Steel Recon 1.
I also work at a Emergency Room where a knife is considered a big no-no, not by rules but it gets bad looks and comments from people even when I carry my CRKT K.I.S.S.
I often end up running to get lunch or down the street to another building and at 3 in the morning the neighborhood is a little questionable, so it is nice to have a friend with you.
Considering thw work I do there I don't think it would flip around too bad.

#4 ·
I'm not a big fan of neck carry.

If it draws too much attention clipped to your pocket, clip it to your waistband and blouse your shirt over it.

#5 ·
Just for the heck of it I tried carrying a Benchmade Snody Instigator around my neck.

Okay way to carry but, after practicing, I found it was not easy to get to and draw with ease. Wearing it under a shirt made it cumbersome. Great little knife though.

#7 ·
When I was a new copper I carried two guns and three knives, one of which was a neck knife. It's only foreseeable use would have been some kind of last ditch scenario that was unlikely to ever happen. Since it really didn't serve any useful purpose, I threw mine in the "junk drawer" too! :wink:

#12 ·
I used to use a neck knife until one day I picked up a 50lb bag at work with it on. When I did, the bag hit me in the chest (not hard), and the knife came out of the sheath, turned sideways, and stabbed through my shirt. I shudder to think how it would have felt if it had turned the other way and stabbed into me. That was the last time I wore it.

#14 ·
DryGluch ... nice looking blade, where did you buy it?

#16 ·
Spyderco Delica 50/50 on a dog tag chain.

Most likely to be able to get at to cut seatbelts "IF".

I'm paranoid about being belted in and trapped in a vehicle either sinking or burning.

About 15 years now, sometimes an irritation but I'm used to it. Not nearly as paranoid as I was before I started wearing it.

Regards,
:smile:

#18 ·
Not a fan of neck knives. They move and shift a lot, are difficult to get to quickly in the best of circumstances, and pose more of a danger in employment to you (the user) than other forms of knife carry.

The search function should turn up a few discussions on the topic.

-B

#24 ·
Me too, If anyone wants to send me stuff I will pay the postage. I too have stuff that I bought that didn't really work like the advertisment said. Maybe we should start some type of weapons accessory pass around. This stuff has to work for someone.

I do wear a spyderco neck knife under my rash guard shirt when I am in the ocean. You never know when you will have to cut yourself out of something.

#20 ·
I don't wear things around my neck that can be used to strangle me

#21 ·
Could not agree more!

Dog Tag chains, fine silver or gold is the way to go.

Shoe laces (Rawhide or other) and paracord are out!

Clip on ties are very fashionable in some circles too, if neckties are required!

Regards,

:smile:

#28 ·
Does no one wear dive knives to the ocean anymore? Anything around the neck, in or out of the water, shifts too much for my liking. I like knives staying put.

-B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.