Knife on Campus??

This is a discussion on Knife on Campus?? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A classmate showed me the 8 inch combat blade he carries tucked inside his jeans. He has a concealed weapons permit, but is it legal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife on Campus??

Knife on Campus??

A classmate showed me the 8 inch combat blade he carries tucked inside his jeans. He has a concealed weapons permit, but is it legal to carry this long of a blade at a community college in Florida??

I don't want him getting in trouble if someone sees it. I don't think he's wearing it because he plans to hurt anyone, i think it's just an ego boost to have a weapon on his person.

2. Remove Ads

NO!

He doesn't think that anyone will notice an 8" combat knife, tucked or not?

Hope he's close to graduation...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm not familiar with Florida's laws. Legal or not he's asking for trouble. On the off chance it is allowed, it's still unlikely school security is aware of that. All they're going to think if it's seen is "Oh crap here's a psycho with a knife take him down!" That would not be a good day for him. Please understand I'm not saying this is the way that I feel (I like my knives a lot and wish I could carry the bigger ones more often), I've just dealt with the prejudice against knives and it's especially bad in an academic environment.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

from what i know, one can carry a knife, fixed, folder or auto, with a weapons permit, in FL. what i don't know is if FL law prohibits carrying on school property. that should be the concern here. if not, he might be facing something worse than expulsion from campus.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

NO!

Absolutely right! Not allowed.

He may carry an "ordinary pocket knife". That's it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by troubleinkw View Post
    i think it's just an ego boost to have a weapon on his person.
    That is the scary part...

Rick

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Absolutely ILLEGAL! When I'm at school, I have pocketknives and flashlights. That's it. The guns and fixed-blades stay in the car. Curiously, my fixed-blades are smaller than my pocketknives in every way.

Anyone may open carry a knife in Florida.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Thanks guys, I think its stupid, but apparently he feels threatened by another student and feels safer with it. Does anyone know what would happen if the cops found out about this? I want to persuade him to stop carrying it, but I need some solid info to persuade him.

Quote Originally Posted by troubleinkw View Post
    Thanks guys, I think its stupid, but apparently he feels threatened by another student and feels safer with it. Does anyone know what would happen if the cops found out about this? I want to persuade him to stop carrying it, but I need some solid info to persuade him.
    Look up your state's laws about it. Never take legal advice from 'the internet.'
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Look up your state's laws about it. Never take legal advice from 'the internet.'
    TN it's okay as long as it's conventional knife, straight or folder, 4" blade or under (state length law). Can't be "hawkbill, bowie, switchblade,icepick, dagger"

But FL law is what you need to know in your case, of course.

- OS

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    In Florida the crime would be a 2nd degree misdemeaner. This means no more than 60 days in jail and/or no more than a $500 fine. If they charge and convict him with a violent misdemeaner, he will lose his license for three years (I'm not sure if they can take it from him entirely for just that offense however).

He could carry a plastic knife or a blunt-bladed table knife and legally, he would be OK.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

RE: good call.

Same reason I only carry a > 3" folder on campus.

The only thing to note here is (and as a few posters up said; verify with state laws) the college has a choice in its classification. Colleges in Florida can classifiy themselves as "schools" under the state law and are there for covered under that portion of the carry laws. However, they are not required to make that choice.

Check the weapons policy for the college too, since it may very well make no self-classificaion and may fall under the state laws like any other place of business.

If you're CCing a gun, and the college declares itself a "school" for the purposes of weapon laws, I guess you have to park your vehicle off campus and hoof it in. (An issue I'm trying to figure out, since I work on a campus. )

tell him to get some oc spray, you can carry it pretty much anywhere (atleast here in GA) and it works really well to get away from someone. If this student that he is threatened by were to attack him the last thing he'd want to be doing is getting in close to do damage with his knife ( that he may or may not be proficient with)
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

I carry a knife daily on campus.

(The top auto, I never carry the bottom)

It has the double advantage of being a switchblade but also appearing and operating as an otherwise ordinary folder to trick those who believe an automatic knife is somehow automatically possessed by Satan.

Everyone at my college carries a knife of some sort, so as long as the "secret" isn't discovered by the wrong person then I'm fine. Which, seeing as how I rarely if ever remove it from my pocket it won't be.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I have a tiny assisted open Gerber that I carry everywhere, including school. Maybe 2" blade or so.

Wouldn't be a great combat knife -- it's just a great tool. I've used it to cut up apples and such in class and never had any trouble. I've seen professors with folders clipped in their pockets.

But 8" -- that's just stupid, really asking for trouble. If he has a need to feel like a tough guy he should take a martial arts class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links