I've been looking at knives and need opinions

This is a discussion on I've been looking at knives and need opinions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard a lot of good about Ka-bar knives...but Tops knives have caught my eye but their price tag is high...in your opinion is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been looking at knives and need opinions

I've heard a lot of good about Ka-bar knives...but Tops knives have caught my eye but their price tag is high...in your opinion is a knife like a TOPS comparable to a Ka-bar? or are they really in two different leagues that justifies the TOPS price tag? I've been looking at TOPS steel eagle and Ka-bar black fighting knife.
    thanks for the opinions !

The steels are generally the same (1095 high-carbon). TOPS knives are generally thicker, and so use more steel. They also use micarta scales, rather than injection molded plastic.

Ka-Bars are great knives, and will certainly meet most any field need you may have.

If you want/need something with more heft(prying, hacking,log splitting...), TOPS is certainly a top-pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    The steels are generally the same (1095 high-carbon). TOPS knives are generally thicker, and so use more steel. They also use micarta scales, rather than injection molded plastic.

Ka-Bars are great knives, and will certainly meet most any field need you may have.

If you want/need something with more heft(prying, hacking,log splitting...), TOPS is certainly a top-pick.
    thanks for the reply and that all makes sense....i really want a tops steel eagle...but the price tag vs the ka-bar price tag vs the wife....ya know ha ha....

cj
    Tops are decent, and I do own a few, BUT they're still just 1095 steel, and most of their knives just don't seem like a great deal when balancing price for performance...especially for such a common steel.

For a nice balance of this, I like the Ranger 'Ready Detachment' series. They're 1/4" 5160 steel, and even the largest one (9" blade, OAL of 15 1/4") is only $120 suggested retail (can be found for even less). Not as pretty as TOPS, but tough and priced better, in my opinion.

I would suggest getting the Kabar now, so you have a good knife. Save money a little at a time for an upgrade. Like guns, one can never have to many knives. I have many knives there are never any two exactly alike, even is the same brand, same model and manufactured at the same approx. time, there will be diferences. Go with it, have fun and if wife gets on your case blame me.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I would suggest getting the Kabar now, so you have a good knife. Save money a little at a time for an upgrade. Like guns, one can never have to many knives. I have many knives there are never any two exactly alike, even is the same brand, same model and manufactured at the same approx. time, there will be diferences. Go with it, have fun and if wife gets on your case blame me.
    well i have the money for either knife...just the wife is more frugal than I am...some say she is smarter ha ha...I may take your advice on the Ka-bar...they aren't that expensive and if i dont' like it then i'll just keep it and get the tops later...but even if the wife gets upset i won't rat you out !! lol...

If you haven't already, take a look at RAT Cutlery
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

nice knives !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

in sreach of a good knife

nice knifes, i personaly have always prefored buck knifes.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Those TOPS Steel Eagle's are costly...I'll stick to Buck's, Ka Bar's, and Kershaw's...
    They are great looking...but I'll just keep looking!

Stay armed...add a good SD knife...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My carry pocket knife is a Kershaw 1660st. The knife has a lock but the reason I like it so much is that it is a single finger flick open type.

"Only the dead know its better to be alive".

Quote Originally Posted by sandman31774 View Post
    I've heard a lot of good about Ka-bar knives...but Tops knives have caught my eye but their price tag is high...in your opinion is a knife like a TOPS comparable to a Ka-bar? or are they really in two different leagues that justifies the TOPS price tag? I've been looking at TOPS steel eagle and Ka-bar black fighting knife.
    thanks for the opinions !
    Sandman, I too live in louisiana.....if you are ever near Hammond, let me know and you can try out every knife I own

I am partial to Emerson waved knives. If you want to talk knives, surf onto theUsual Suspect Network.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

For a folding carry knife, I carry a Gerber Applegate/Fairbain. It comes in two sizes, the mini and the full size. I picked up one of the full size models a couple of years ago and love it! With a little practice it can be opened with a flick of the wrist. It has a really good lock and holds an edge really well. For a sheath knife, I prefer a Cold Steel Tanto. In my opinion, the tanto is unbeatable for a combat blade.

For a folder, I carry two, I like the Cold Steel medium and large Voyager. For a sheath knife its a Cold Steel SRK. All three are the older made in the USA knives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links