KNIVES ~ What's Legal In Your Home State?

This is a discussion on KNIVES ~ What's Legal In Your Home State? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Balisongs are LIKELY legal in Pennsylvania since the issue did come up in Court & Judges ruled that the Balisong knife WAS Pennsylvania legal in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KNIVES ~ What's Legal In Your Home State?

Administrator

Actually ~ Interesting

Balisongs are LIKELY legal in Pennsylvania since the issue did come up in Court & Judges ruled that the Balisong knife WAS Pennsylvania legal in that specific court case review.
    But, the Knuckle Duster Knife (combo knife & knucks) ~ No Way!
    Don't even think about it.

2. Remove Ads

Anything in Florida exept for ballistic knives.

No auto's or switchblades in NM and for some reason, case law has stated that a butterfly knife is "Switchblade". No issues on length of blade.

In MI, I can legally carry my Cold Steel Gunsite Tanto 4" and that is all I care about. Others would be cool, but I can carry the knife I am most comfortable carrying and operating and that means more to me than anything.

WI has no blade length law.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I think the better link to start with QK is this one - State Knife Laws.

Yours brought up PA which was fine for me

Seems many states still have some gray areas - butterflies are sold all over the place but in many states are technically illegal. So too are some of the quick openers even if not switch - technically!

Most guys I know have a folder. Doubt they are all white as white either
    I recently got a Emerson UTCOM CQC-11-BT. I also read the PA link but as usual it confuses more than illuminates are we good in PA with these knives for carry?

THX

VIP Member
    Sometimes the laws aren't all you need to check.

CODE OF ALABAMA
    Section 13A-1-2
    Definitions
    (7) DEADLY WEAPON. A firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword, or dagger; or any billy, black-jack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles.

Section 13A-11-50
    Carrying concealed weapons.
    Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a person who carries concealed about his person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months.

Case Law
    Section 13A-11-50. Carrying concealed weapons.
    II. WEAPONS INCLUDED AND CONCEALMENT THEREOF.
    A "bowie knife" ordinarily designates a long knife shaped like a dagger but having only one edge, and does not include a knife which opens and shuts and is not too large to be carried in a trouser's pocket as pocket knives are usually carried. Smelley v. State, 472 So. 2d 715 (Ala. Crim. App. 1985)
    "Lock-blade" knife not included. The "lock-blade" knife in this case was merely a type of pocket knife, the blade of which was capable of being locked open to prevent an accidental or unexpected folding of the blade. It does not fall within the statutory prohibition against carrying a concealed "bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description." Smelley v. State, 472 So. 2d 715 (Ala. Crim. App. 1985)

In Alabama it is really difficult to determine if I can carry by Cold Steel Voyager XL Tanto with the 5" blade just by reading the code. However case law says that I can. Because it "opens and shuts and is not too large to be carried in a trouser's pocket as pocket knives are usually carried" it is not a concealed "bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description."

I have on at least one occasion loaned it to the police chief to cut a rope.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    TEXAS = any blade over 5.5 inches is deemed an "illegal" knife. Folder or fixed not specified.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

ohio seems to wanna trip us up as well
    vague, confusing and up to the whim of the LEO and his bosses.
    i guess ya risk it or go without.
    i would say anything that looks mean is illegal.
    maybe if it was painted pink and i put beads on it it'd be ok?

i'd wanna carry a fixed blade fer sure though cuz i the SHTF ya got no time to open a folder.

my take on ohios knife carry law...
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is legal. No Leatherman, no Swiss Army knife. And God forbid, a folder. A year or so ago the district prosecutor in Oslo tried to prosecute a carpenter for wearing a Leatherman. The court said that there is a difference between a tool and a weapon and freed the man. But that doesn't stop the prosecutor from trying to throw the book at anyone for carrying anything that has a sharp edge.

Assistant Administrator
    chickenrunner - that is extreme! Did that degree of intolerance to sharp things come about slowly over time? Because of crime? Does it in fact bear any relation to crime reduction in your opinion?

I wonder then if even razor blades are out!

I had thought UK had the top slot for control of carrying sharp things - but seems not.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry. The level of intolerance isn't nationwide. It has mostly to do with local ordinances. If you carry something sharp and pointy in a public place in an urban area without a very good reason, the prosecutor's office will probably have a go at you. That means if you are working on a building site with a knife in your tool belt you will not be arrested. But you will get a lot more leeway in rural areas. You will not be arrested if you carry a 9" lapp knife (a very popular outdoor knife here in Norway) in the woods. But the rules aren't quite clear. I asked a police lawyer I know about it and she was quite uncertain about how the laws pertaining to the carry of sharp objects in public are to be enforced. But her conclusion was; don't carry one. And this was a friendly advice, not a statement meant for the public.
    And yes, if you carry razorblades in your pockets like some junkies do they can take you in. Of course, if you have a package with razorblades in you grocery bag, nothing will happen.
    You'll probably not get a prison sentence like in Britain where I believe there is a five year mandatory sentence if you carry something that might be construed as a weapon. But you're likely to be fined.

1952 - 2006
    According to the Nevada Revised Statutes, I can carry any knife I chose so long as it's not:

Concealed
    A Switchblade or
    A knife in a belt buckle.

I found no mention of length.

Nevada - Crimes against public health and safety. 202.350.
    1. It is unlawful for a person within this state to:
    (a) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into
    the state, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give,
    lend or possess any knife which is made an integral part
    of a belt buckle or any instrument or weapon of the kind
    commonly known as switchblade knife...
    (b)... carry concealed upon his person any...
    (2) Dirk, dagger or machete... [A 1995 amendment
    substituted "machete" in this subsection for "dangerous
    knife."]
    (4) Knife which is made an integral part of a belt
    buckle...

The way I see it I can walk down the street with a Ka-Bar on and as long as it's not concealed, it's legal.

I always carry my Benchmade Emerson CQC-7. 3 3/4" blade.

Great knife.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    chickenrunner - thx for expanding on your restrictions - sounds a lot less draconian!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Here in Indiana, only automatic openers (switchblades) are prohibited.

Anything else is legal to carry either openly or concealed, and there is no blade length limit.

I always carry at least two double-edged fixed blade knives for defense, and a good folder for utility use.
    Being proactive is the best way to avoid having to be defensive.

Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought.

"Stategy is the craft of the warrior."-- Miyamoto Musashi

Ars sine scientia nihil est.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links