KNIVES ~ What's Legal In Your Home State?

This is a discussion on KNIVES ~ What's Legal In Your Home State? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [B]Here Is Is Folks. The Knife Laws.... STATE BY STATE Click Here To See If Your Carry Knife Conflicts With Your State Knife laws....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KNIVES ~ What's Legal In Your Home State?

Administrator

[B]Here Is Is Folks.
    The Knife Laws....STATE BY STATE

Click Here To See If Your Carry Knife Conflicts With Your State Knife laws.

Assistant Administrator
    I think the better link to start with QK is this one - State Knife Laws.

Yours brought up PA which was fine for me

Seems many states still have some gray areas - butterflies are sold all over the place but in many states are technically illegal. So too are some of the quick openers even if not switch - technically!

Most guys I know have a folder. Doubt they are all white as white either
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Thanks Chris

Good Catch...Thanks. I just changed the link up yonder.
    I was on the PA page checking something out for PA...Don't know how I copied the link to that PA page rather than the main page.
    Too much EggNog I guess.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    legal technicalities in MI. According to MSP site, folders are legal. Fixed blade not used for hunting,and carried for that purpose are illegal.

Hmmm. Missouri -- I read that since I have a CCW, I can carry a knife (doesn't specify fixed, folding, size, etc.) and a blackjack. I'm not sure I'd want to test out the use of a blackjack in court......
    "I was in fear of my life, but didn't use my gun, I just broke the bad guys skull with my blackjack."
    I don't even know where to get a blackjack anymore. I remember the flat leather saps, too. Maybe I need to go shopping??

Go to about any flea market in a red state and one can find a blackjack of some sort. Pay attention to the stands that sell knives and swords. They usually sell them.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

yes anything over 3 inchs is illegal for carry except a hunting knife used for that purpose

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm not a lawyer but after a lot of reading is seems to me that Missouri's CCW doesn't have anything to do with anything but guns. The knife laws are odd in that you can't legally carry/conceal a knife at all in Missouri, however, the exception to the definition of a knife is a folder with a blade no longer than 4" long. Fixed blades and automatics are big no no's! Nothing can be opened with a button on the handle or using centrifical force. I carry a CRKT M14-13M which "looks" naughty and from other things I've read, looks can play into it if you ever use it. In other words, courts and lawyers look at a case pocket knife differently than a blacked out tactical para military looking knife. I also carry a Kershaw Blur with their speed assist opening. it's as fast as just about any auto but totally legal. I did a lot of checking on that and even wrote Kershaw about it and I actually got a very detailed and thorough response from them which really impressed me. So, all of mine are folders and at least a tad under 4" so it doesn't ever come down to an interpretation of a ruler. you know, I've always wondered technically the points you use to measure the length of a blade. Obviously you use the point but then where do you measure to?

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    I'm not a lawyer but after a lot of reading is seems to me that Missouri's CCW doesn't have anything to do with anything but guns.
    Slight clarification here.

From the MO Revised Statutes:
    4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.
    here's subdivision 1

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

and here are the explanations for "blackjack" and "knife:"

2) "Blackjack" means any instrument that is designed or adapted for the purpose of stunning or inflicting physical injury by striking a person, and which is readily capable of lethal use;

(10) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;
    So according to MO law, a "blackjack" is any type of striking weapon and a "knife" is anything other than an "ordinary" 4" pocketknife (who the hell gets to decide what "ordinary" means?). Since blackjacks and knives are both part of sub-sec. 1 and CCW holders are exempt from sub-sec. 1, you can carry anything you want. However, automatic knives (like you mentioned) are covered in a different clause so those aren't allowed even with a CCW.

BTW: here's the link to the MO statutes.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator

Angry

I noticed while flipping through the knife laws of some other various states that MANY of the laws regarding knives are VERY Gray, Vague, & Incongruous. So many (in fact) that it's probably intentional. Lawmakers Can't be THAT STUPID by accident or...can they???

VIP Member
    TN - four inch blade length limit, no auto or gravity knives unless you're military/law enforcement, no double-edged knives likes daggers, folders and fixed blades okay.

P95's link does not describe the military/law enforcement exemption or prohibition of gravity knives (although it says "Butterfly or Balisong knives are not switchblades"), but I know I read that somewhere, unless the law has changed...

Oh, gee - looks like hawkbills are out, too, which means my MOD Ladyhawk is on permanent retirement.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I noticed while flipping through the knife laws of some other various states that MANY of the laws regarding knives are VERY Gray, Vague, & Incongruous. So many (in fact) that it's probably intentional. Lawmakers Can't be THAT STUPID by accident or...can they???
    I think it's a combination of the two...

Most lawmakers are so stupid they probably don't know a switchblade from a Ka-Bar (remember, these are the same morons that write the gun laws). OTOH, by leaving the laws very vague (for example, Missouri's "ordinary pocketknife" phrase) the LEO's and prosecutors have a lot of lee-way in how they enforce the laws.

When you think about it, it's really sad. For example: I see no reason for balisongs/butterfly-knives to be illegal. Especially since virtually every tactical folder on the market can be opened faster with greater consistency and less practice. I guess the Bali's are the "assault rifles" of the knife world...because they look scary they must be evil.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm in Florida.
    CCW and a switchblade.
    Guess you know I'm orginally from NYC.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I am happy to say, Oregon allows autos and balisongs. Never carried an auto but do carry one or two balisongs
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In Fla-Da we can carry 'bout anything. Switchblades,auto's,streight blades,double edged. I carry a 6",streight bladed,double. Have you priced them auto's lately ? Microtech,Protech,HOLY CRAP. $300 for a little weenie lookin' blade. Not me! I don't want something that is gonna break off in their eye socket. ---------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links