Help me pick a new carry knife!

This is a discussion on Help me pick a new carry knife! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have carried many knives over the last couple years, some better than others. had some kershaws but couldnt keep an edge, currently have a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a new carry knife!

i have carried many knives over the last couple years, some better than others. had some kershaws but couldnt keep an edge, currently have a buck....LOVE IT but somehow the tip broke off, its a 154CM blade so its not cheap steel (i dont think, not to up on what steels are the best) but about 1/16th of an inch broke off and i dont know when. so on to the question....

I have been looking at benchmades, REALLY like the kulgera, i love the style, but not sure on handle like metal or carbon fiber handle.

i want an all use, daily carry folder, definately needs to be able to hold an edge for a while as i dont sharpen it but a couple times a year at most, with smooth blade (HATE serrated blades, for some reason the dont work as well on seatbelts) looking for the 75-150 range on price. what do yall recommend, where to order, pics?
    Last edited by optikal; October 21st, 2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: grammer
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Ive always been a fan of the Kershaw "Leek" range, quality US made knife. Been meaning to get one for a while now.

My friend owns a gun store here in NZ and sell alot of the Kershaw Leek. I believe you can buy these online direct from Kershaw for about $89US.

Lots of different finishes and blades available.

KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

i'm not sure..i'm in the same boat you are...i lost my kershaw today and wondering what my next folder will be....oddly enough...I also live in Haughton ! I liked my Kershaw...not sure what model it was...may get another. sorry i'm not much help though

i had 2 kershaws from bass pro that came in the plastic package, loved them but i found they didnt keep an edge at all, is the leek any different.

sandman, where are you at in haughton???
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    i had 2 kershaws from bass pro that came in the plastic package, loved them but i found they didnt keep an edge at all, is the leek any different.

sandman, where are you at in haughton???
    let's just say i can hear the gun range out at clarks !...i'll send you a pm

I have two (among others) Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks (assisted openers)...both have kept their edges...I love the knives, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

OMO

Stay armed...with Kershaw Leeks...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I own a Kershaw Blur for my everyday carry knife. I own and use a 705 benchmade as well as Gerber knives. i find I carry the Kershaw due to the assisted open feature mostly. Once a good edge is on my knives it seems to stay fine for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

but i found they didnt keep an edge at all
    Ive used $200+ chefs knives that dont keep an edge for longer than a month, most of the knives ive purchased \ used I have always sharpened once a month with a wet fine grade sharpening stone.

Obviously you dont go ultra cheap as it wont keep an edge for a month, it also depends on what you intend to cut and how often.

The Kershaw Leek is stainless 440A grade

A wee bit of info about 440A below, 440C is harder and will hold edge, but 440A is more corrosion resistant.

Type 440a higher grade of cutlery steel, with more carbon, allowing for much better edge retention when properly heat-treated. It can be hardened to approximately Rockwell 58 hardness, making it one of the hardest stainless steels. Due to its toughness and relatively low cost, most display-only and replica swords or knives are made of 440 stainless. Also known as razor blade steel. Available in four grades: 440A, 440B, 440C, and the uncommon 440F (free machinable). 440A, having the least amount of carbon in it, is the most stain-resistant; 440C, having the most, is the strongest and is usually considered more desirable in knifemaking than 440A, except for diving or other salt-water applications.
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

i use my knife for everything that needs a knife, lol

cardboard, plastic cases, paper, rope, tape, bandages, seatbelts, upholstery...

i give it hell. i think i found my knife: benchmade 943.

im thinking about a small fixed blade to keep with me, mainly for more strenuous jobs anyone keep one with them? how do you carry?
    Ted Nugent

The Kershaw Leeks used to be 440A. I believe they are now all Sandvik 13C26 stainless-steel except for two models which are S30V stainless-steel.

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    Ive used $200+ chefs knives that dont keep an edge for longer than a month, most of the knives ive purchased \ used I have always sharpened once a month with a wet fine grade sharpening stone.

Obviously you dont go ultra cheap as it wont keep an edge for a month, it also depends on what you intend to cut and how often.

The Kershaw Leek is stainless 440A grade

A wee bit of info about 440A below, 440C is harder and will hold edge, but 440A is more corrosion resistant.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

For a folder, I'd recommend Benchmade, Spyderco (particularly the Endura or Delica with the wave), or Cold Steel. Stay away from anything with a liner-lock.

Fixed-blades are definitely the way to go if you are able to carry one. When I carry a conventional fixed-blade, I usually carry it either "drawpoint" style (strong side, set for reverse-grip draw) or in the appendix position.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    . . . currently have a buck....LOVE IT but somehow the tip broke off, its a 154CM blade so its not cheap steel . . .
    My experience with Buck has been excellent. My guess is that they will replace the knife without charge to you, and that they will not argue alleged "misuse."

I have carried Bucks and all of the name dropper knives for over 45 years -- everything from Buck, Randall, Kershaw, Case, CRKT, SOG, etc. I have reached the conclusion that most all (except perhaps with some cheaply made foreign knives) will be long lost before they ever wear out or break. My delimma has been more in the question of whether I carry one with the "rope cutter" section or a plain knife. Both have their uses, but I have opted for the traditional blade.

I am a big fan of Spydercos. I have the Endura wave and I really like it. My current favorite knife is my Emerson CQC-15. It is scary sharp and with practice opens quickly.

If you want to stick with Kershaw maybe a Boa or Cyclone.

My everyday carry knife is a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Actually have two. One with serrations and the other without. No one gets freaked out when I use it in public.

I also carry the Spiderco Endura 4 Wave.
    Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

Based on some of the recommendations here I purchased a Spyderco Endura 4 with Emerson wave as my first carry knife. I like it and the wave function works as advertised. Shop around though if you decide to buy one. The prices vary widely. I picked mine up for $58.

I would really like a Ka-Bar TDI but my best lawyer-ly interpretation of NC knife laws seems to indicate that they are not legal for carry here.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links