Knives the bad guys carry part II

This is a discussion on Knives the bad guys carry part II within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the past I have posted pictures of confiscated knives, I decided to take the confiscated knives I had laying around that I use for ...

Thread: Knives the bad guys carry part II

In the past I have posted pictures of confiscated knives, I decided to take the confiscated knives I had laying around that I use for classes and analyze them. There were 11 knives, and everyone of them was taken from someone who was arrested. Although I cannot recall I am pretty sure that they all had previous criminal records. Most bad guys give the excuse of self defense for the reason they carry edged weapons.

Out of 11 knives, six were fixed blades, 3 were kitchen type knives, 3 were folders (one was a folding razor type and one cheap balisong), and three were box cutter/razor knives.

In the state of Maryland where they were seized only the folder on the bottom right hand side and the balisong are legal to carry.

The average blade length was 2.82 inches.

Further analysis shows that five of them would stab/cut, four would slash only and two would stab only.

The reality is that non of these offenders were charged with the carrying of these concealed weapons. For the folks carrying them it was the least of their problems.

Although I am sure that there individuals who carry machetes and bowie knives I have to believe these examples are indicative of knives the policeman or citizen will likely face on the street.

Since I don't, nor am I aware of any training programs that specifically focus on these types of weapons I think it is a good idea to think about these types of weapons when you think about having to defend against one. Not bowie knives or machetes.

Two points that stand out to me in reference to edged weapon attacks are that the majority of the time the victim never sees the knife and instead thinks they are being punched and that the last few cuts or stabs are the fatal ones.

Armed with this information and seeing how small the average size is of and edged weapon we will likely see on the street you can see why people seldom see them.

Again we are taken back to the fundamental rule of defending against the mechanism of the attack and not the tool.

Try not to get cut.

If you must take a cut, minimize it.

Control the weapon arm.

Good post...good points...enlightening.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That fixed blade, 3rd from the bottom left, looks exactly like a divers knife (ankle holster) I have. Great info and nice collection to show students.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

That is what it is, he had it in a leather IWB sheath. The blade had no cutting edge at all and could only be used to stab but would have done that pretty good.

good info to have.

the majority of the time the victim never sees the knife and instead thinks they are being punched
    no one believes me when i say that; when i was 17, i was stabbed in the upper thigh during an attempted robbery. it felt like a punch, and fought the guy until he slashed at my face, which was the only time i saw a blade. at the hospital, i found out that it had nearly hit the bone.

i think the OP proves another point: that you don't need to buy a high end, $300 custom tactical folder, to get the job done. guys in prison make shivs from toothbrushes, and they work fine.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    They do love their imported junk don't they? Did you get the message I left on your e-mail some months ago fellow I-95 Sheepdog? Haven't heard from you for a while. Give me a call!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    To all: Brother Mercop is GTG! He has a lot of insight on up close and personal stuff. Look him up.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Good info Mercop! Thanks.
    Knuckledrager- forgive me but what does GTG stand for? "Good to Go"?
    Prepared to Fight
    Patriot for Peace

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

lots of things

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
    what does GTG stand for? "Good to Go"?
    Get Together
    Golden Tee Golf (game)
    Got To Go
    Good To Go
    Gray to Gray (LCD response timing)
    Gas Turbine Generator
    Game Tying Goals (hockey)
    Glory to God
    Girl to Girl
    Get the Girl
    Global Tone Generation
    Gaussian-Type Geminal
    Graphics to Go
    Global Travel Group
    Go-To Guy/Gal (probable meaning of KnuckleDrager given context)
    Growth Type Group (forestry)
    GrandTheftGamer
    Government to Government
    GFCP To GFCP (Generic Front-end Communications Processor)
    Genuine Tough Guy

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Since I don't, nor am I aware of any training programs that specifically focus on these types of weapons I think it is a good idea to think about these types of weapons when you think about having to defend against one. Not bowie knives or machetes.
    +/- 3" blades? Southnarc.

Yesterday I did a briefing at a prison that is looking to host an Edged Weapons Survival course for their officers. While there I got the chance to look at their toy boxes filled with confiscated improvised weapons over the last 100 yrs. Although I had no camera so you will have to take my word for it, I would say that even this nasties were an average length of 3-4 inches and were either suited to just stabbing or just cutting.

To me this means that bad guys like good guys carry what is comfortable and concealable and even when they are on the outside they favor the same type of weapons. I guess that like anyone with good mindset they plan to make up with mindset and aggression what is lacking in the size and utility in their tools of choice.

Sponsored Links