The SOG Pentagon Elite II ~ Review

This is a discussion on The SOG Pentagon Elite II ~ Review within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK...I have lived with this massive folder for about a week now. I decided now would be a great time to review it since I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The SOG Pentagon Elite II ~ Review

Administrator

Post The SOG Pentagon Elite II ~ Review

OK...I have lived with this massive folder for about a week now.
    I decided now would be a great time to review it since I have about a thousand other things to do today...and I don't feel like doing any of them.
    It's visually impressive & very well constructed and it's LARGE.
    The AUS~8 Stainless blade measures a full 5" in length so check your local & State knife restrictions before you buy one.
    I have thumb flicked this blade out many hundreds of times already & its operation is very smooth. It's got a nice strong piercing point.
    One flick on the thumb assist pivots the blade fully out to the locked position.
    It locks up rock solid with no movement or wiggle in any direction & balances (fully open) very nicely.
    The blade is factory sharp & will shave hair "out of the box" & the serration's actually work.
    The pocket clip is reversible & very serviceable & tough but, I'll take mine off & toss it...after I pop the photos of the knife since I do not like handle clips on any of my knives.

I should add that I do not use my Self Defensive "carry knife" for daily mundane cutting chores.
    That is a Personal Quirk of mine since (while I am capable of putting a razor edge back on a blade) --- I know myself well enough to know that I won't sharpen it that very evening so...the next day...I'd likely be carrying my defensive blade with a sub~perfect edge.
    I carry a little super cheapo Sheffield light weight Ace Hardware folder to cut rope and open boxes & "stuff" ~ They were on sale for 2 bucks each & I bought a pile of them & I use one of those for Crap Tasks.

Some of you might remember that I absolutely wanted a knife with a 5" blade length. They are not easy to locate. I bought this on On Line & paid $58.00 & Shipping for it.
    The MSRP is much higher than that. I was originally going to buy - Quantity 2 - since as soon as I really like something - they stop making it. The guy I bought this one from only had this one though.

It's a deadly serious folder & mine functions very well.
    I have no others to compare it to. I'm very pleased with it.
    It's lightning fast to the "Lock Out" position & opens AND CLOSES very easily with one hand.
    I've also been able to open & close it with my left hand but, not that smoothly...yet. So...there you all have it...The SOG Pentagon Elite II ~ I should add that SOG also makes an identical smaller version of this knife.

It's hard to imagine just how doggone large this folder is SO...I'm photographing it next to a common household object...an elephants toenail...so that you'll be able to judge the size for yourself.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Fine looking knife QK - and a good find it seems.

Still trying to work out tho why the hand looks quite so pink
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thanks Chris

I'm really feeling "In The Pink" today.
    Actually it's that indoor lighting in combination with something screwy about this particular computer (or the AOL Browser) that will not let me see colors (in pictures) the way everybody else sees them on their respective computers.
    So...I can't adjust the color...because I dunno what to adjust it TO to make it "normal"
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nice knife. I got myself a SOG Trident II and love it, though I had to sharpen it when I got it since it wasn't as sharp as I wanted it. But I love it now!!! :)
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Administrator

Thumbs up This One.

I just searched for a PIC...Very Nice Knife.
    Wicked/Bad Blade Style!

Assistant Administrator
    QK - re your ''pink hand'' syndrome!

Take a peek at this pic attached - it is a quick job to produce a more flesh-tone color to your hand - as seen on this puter. Be interesting to see how it appears to you compared with original - and others too.

I am aware that monitor differences can be quite significant both with color rendition as well as gamma. Ignore odd bits where there may be a bit of other color showing - I only did a quick tweak.
    Attached Images
    Chris - P95

Nice knife...I've handled them in the past but have never owned one. I've been toying with the idea of getting a big folder (5" or more) but haven't done it yet. I may have to look for one of these.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Just remember when buying SOG, no matter what they say in public, what they do to thier reservist who work for them.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1105/111105lb.htm (scroll down to 2nd story)

Support the folks who [B]truly[B] support our troops.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Bit of a let-down that seems fed -
    Cutting a Deal

The Justice Department has reached a settlement with a Lynnwood, Wash.-based knife and tool company accused of breaking a law intended to protect reservists' employment rights.

The complaint alleged that S.O.G. Specialty Knives Inc. violated the 1994 Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act by improperly discharging a Coast Guard reservist when he was called to active duty in January 2003. The complaint also claimed that S.O.G. failed to properly re-employ the reservist in a position of similar status and duties once he returned.

USERRA guards the reemployment rights of military service members or veterans when they return from active duty.

After completing an investigation, the Labor Department's Veterans' Employment and Training Service referred the Coast Guard reservist's complaint to the Justice Department.

The knife company, in a consent decree that must be approved by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, agreed to compensate the plaintiff an unpublished sum.

"We have a duty to our men and women in the military to enforce vigorously their legal right to be free of employment discrimination on the basis of their military service," said Bradley Schlozman, acting assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's civil rights division. "We are very pleased to see a positive resolution in this case."

Schlozman said the knife company cooperated with the investigation and offered the settlement, but denied any wrongdoing.

S.O.G. Specialty Knives did not return calls requesting comment.

According to the Justice Department, this is the eighth USERRA complaint filed since the civil rights division received enforcement authority for such cases in September 2004.
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    Nice knives, too bad about their lack of troop support.

I had several. Mailed them back to them with a note that said simply, "This soldier will never go into combat again with your products". Unfortunatly the word has been kept low key and to many havent heard.
    Steve

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    I had several. Mailed them back to them with a note that said simply, "This soldier will never go into combat again with your products". Unfortunatly the word has been kept low key and to many havent heard.
    You know here is something else for me to do at the SHOT Show.

I'll just have to stop at the SOG booth and after admiring their knives for a while with one of the reps, I just tell them that while I like their knives, why I won't be buying them.

Thanks fed, I like it.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Ahhhhh the SHOT show. I think the only thing worse than being home on injury leave is never getting to go the SHOT show. One day when I retire I might get a rep job and finally get to go. Ahh but to dream. Have fun acparmed and tell me tales when you get back.
    Steve

VIP Member
    It looks like a really nice knife, but after reading fed's link, I'm really disappointed in the company.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

That's A Total Bummer

Fantastic knife. Lightning fast one hand opening & closing & keeps getting slicker & smoother every time it's flipped open.
    Damn, I just bought another one. Had I known that the company was acting as slick as their knife...I would not have ordered another knife. Maybe I'll cancel my order if it's not too late. I do not like dealing with folks that do not show 100% support for our troops.
    Hopefully, it was unintentional. I intend to find out.
    I'm glad that they paid restitution though & compensated that soldier. Hopefully he made out on the deal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links