TDI in Alabama ?

This is a discussion on TDI in Alabama ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to carry a Ka Bar TDI on your person in Alabama ? I found this online, but is it for those who ...

Thread: TDI in Alabama ?

TDI in Alabama ?

Is it legal to carry a Ka Bar TDI on your person in Alabama ?

I found this online, but is it for those who do not have a pistol permit ?
    § 13A-11-50. Carrying concealed weapons.
    Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a person who carries concealed about his
    person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or
    firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00
    nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to
    hard labor for the county for not more than six months.
    (Code 1852, §15; Code 1867, §3555; Code 1876, §4109; Code 1886, §3775; Code 1896, §4420; Code
    1907, §6421; Code 1923, §3485; Code 1940, T. 14, §161; Code 1975, §13-6-120.
    The only part I can find about the pistol permit is this and it doesn't mention a knife

§ 13A-11-73. License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person --
    Required.
    No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except
    on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as
    hereinafter provided.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    In Alabama it has to do with length of Blade, I believe it is up to 4" that you can leagally carry.

Maybe dr_cmg will stop by, he is more knowledgeable than I am about Alabama's laws
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Pretty much everybody here carries folders, but I don't know about fixed blades. The blade length on the TDI is 2-5/16"

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Well i dont know about your state laws but in ohio a fixed blade as such is to be displayed in sight. Also FWIW i personally have trained with John Benner, the creator of said knife, and he as well as the knife is phenominal. Actually i carry one every day. When i worked at the bank it was the only weapon i was able to carry and due to the ergonimics it very comfortable to hold. When i trained at TDI he showed us why he created it the way he did..... shaped like a gun so your hand doesnt slide down the blade and actually said of punching thru a buck sternum with the knife. Well sorry i couldnt help with the laws and what not but i would deffinatly suggest the knife to anyone who is interested.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

VIP Member
    The Alabama laws contain no reference whatsoever to length of blade. There is no case law that refines the statement "bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description" to give a specific answer to whether a knife with a 3" fixed blade fits the "bowie knife or knife" definition. There is case law regarding folding knives, but until there is a judicial decision about the TDI there is no answer to the question.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    The Alabama laws contain no reference whatsoever to length of blade. There is no case law that refines the statement "bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description" to give a specific answer to whether a knife with a 3" fixed blade fits the "bowie knife or knife" definition. There is case law regarding folding knives, but until there is a judicial decision about the TDI there is no answer to the question.
    so there is nothing that says it's illegal ?

you ever hear of any LEO giving somebody troubles for carrying a fixed blade ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    so there is nothing that says it's illegal ?

you ever hear of any LEO giving somebody troubles for carrying a fixed blade ?
    There is nothing specific to say it is illegal. I know folks who carry big knives hunting, but they aren't concealed so there is no question. I have not heard of anyone getting into trouble for small fixed blades. I have carried a TDI a few times, but it just doesn't fit where I have space, so I have taken to carrying a 5.11 Tarani CUB folder that fits my space.

Because of the size I don't think that most LEOs would consider the TDI to fit the definition of a concealed weapon. They sell lots of them in the places that LEOs buy and at gun shows so I don't think that there is a problem. If you have friends who are LEOs that you feel comfortable with show them photos of the TDI and ask. I have several friends in Perry County and a brother-in-law and nephew in Dallas County and they all told me that it wasn't a problem. That doesn't mean that another LEO wouldn't have a different opinion, but you would at least have advice from a LEO to fall back on.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    There is nothing specific to say it is illegal. I know folks who carry big knives hunting, but they aren't concealed so there is no question. I have not heard of anyone getting into trouble for small fixed blades. I have carried a TDI a few times, but it just doesn't fit where I have space, so I have taken to carrying a 5.11 Tarani CUB folder that fits my space.

Because of the size I don't think that most LEOs would consider the TDI to fit the definition of a concealed weapon. They sell lots of them in the places that LEOs buy and at gun shows so I don't think that there is a problem. If you have friends who are LEOs that you feel comfortable with show them photos of the TDI and ask. I have several friends in Perry County and a brother-in-law and nephew in Dallas County and they all told me that it wasn't a problem. That doesn't mean that another LEO wouldn't have a different opinion, but you would at least have advice from a LEO to fall back on.
    Good idea, thanks alot man

Follow-up:

I have a spring loaded Halo III that I prefer as a concealed backup. I know that spring loaded knives are legal to own in Alabama, but am not sure about carry laws. Is this legal to carry on my leg in an ankle holster or would I be subject to possible legal dangers?

I have had a concealed carry permit in Alabama for a sidearm in the past but did not renew it (I had to work abroad and was not in the state). If I were to renew it would this cover a concealed Halo III?

Thank you in advance.

Senior Moderator
    Alabama has a Pistol License not a concealed weapons permit and only covers pistols.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
    Follow-up:

I have a spring loaded Halo III that I prefer as a concealed backup. I know that spring loaded knives are legal to own in Alabama, but am not sure about carry laws. Is this legal to carry on my leg in an ankle holster or would I be subject to possible legal dangers?

I have had a concealed carry permit in Alabama for a sidearm in the past but did not renew it (I had to work abroad and was not in the state). If I were to renew it would this cover a concealed Halo III?

Thank you in advance.
    This is another place where Alabama Law does not address the issue and where case law is not available either. Below are three items quoted. 1) Definition of "deadly weapon" from Alabama law; 2) Carrying Concealed Weapons section; and 3) Case law regarding knives. This is all there is. Beyond this it is really a matter of interpretation, so as I stated earlier you best recourse is to find out what local law enforcement thinks. This at least gives you an understanding of how your locals would handle it.

CODE OF ALABAMA
    Section 13A-1-2
    Definitions
    (7) DEADLY WEAPON. A firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword, or dagger; or any billy, black-jack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles.

Section 13A-11-50
    Carrying concealed weapons.
    Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a person who carries concealed about his person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months.

Case Law
    Section 13A-11-50. Carrying concealed weapons.
    II. WEAPONS INCLUDED AND CONCEALMENT THEREOF.
    A “bowie knife” ordinarily designates a long knife shaped like a dagger but having only one edge, and does not include a knife which opens and shuts and is not too large to be carried in a trouser’s pocket as pocket knives are usually carried. Smelley v. State, 472 So. 2d 715 (Ala. Crim. App. 1985)
    “Lock-blade” knife not included. — The “lock-blade” knife in this case was merely a type of pocket knife, the blade of which was capable of being locked open to prevent an accidental or unexpected folding of the blade. It does not fall within the statutory prohibition against carrying a concealed “bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description.” Smelley v. State, 472 So. 2d 715 (Ala. Crim. App. 1985)
    George

Pretty simple...carry a pistol and a BUG...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links