Does a taser hit (flying dart type) result in muscle freezing or contraction?

This is a discussion on Does a taser hit (flying dart type) result in muscle freezing or contraction? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO One thing I will say about him is he'll go to bat for his guys everytime... just don't cross him. Well ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does a taser hit (flying dart type) result in muscle freezing or contraction?

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    One thing I will say about him is he'll go to bat for his guys everytime... just don't cross him.
    Well spoken. There was a finanical problem when i was going into the academy and the board told him not to run the academy, but me and another cadet proved our want for the job ( the other guy really needed a job, and i lost 76lbs in 4months.) And well lets just say he told the board to take a flying leap because he had cadets that he though to be of good caliber. I was impressed and he gained my support then.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

2. Remove Ads

Getting back to the Taser:

I've been hit full on (probes shot from device and 5 seconds) 4 times, 3 times in the back and once in the chest. Most recently with the XP probes of the C2.

I went through Taser Instructor course back in '01 and have followed the company information/training programs closely.

I've also seen several people hit.

The fact is that the effects vary dramatically from hit to hit and person to person.. There is a lot of psychological effect that should not be underestimated. The physical effects occur between the probes, so the contractions, freezing or other effects that you see on videos should take this into account. If you see someone with probes attached on their hip and foot and their arm/fist clenches and freezes, this is a psychological effect as much as any physical reaction to the pain.

Similarly, the disruption of the messages between the brain and the muscles is going to be in the region hit by the probes.

I think that officers sometimes over estimate the reliability of the device after first getting trained because they underestimate the difficulty of getting two good probe hits in a dynamic situation. This is similar to the phenomenon of scoring 90% on a firearms qual test and then getting less than 25% hits in a real shooting incident.

Their is a growing body of evidence that subjects who are shot multiple times are significantly less effected because of the reduced psychological effect. My personal experience supports this.

For all of these reasons, and the possibility of hitting the hand and actually causing a contraction that fires the gun, Taser does not recommend using a Taser against someone with a pistol in their hand ready to be used, and neither would I... especially in an LE situation when a firearm is an option.

All that said, the Taser is one of the greatest tools added to the arsenal of the police officer in the last 50 years. I also like the C2 option for civilian self defense. We are going to be putting out a training DVD in the PDV series next year that focuses on chemical (OC) and Electrical (C2) options. The last hit was taped for this DVD and if you run it slow enough, you'll see me extend a hand to break my fall and even look over my shoulder as it got close to the 5 second mark (the C2 goes for 30 seconds if you let it, and I was looking for the guy who was supposed to be turning the damn thing off!).

-RJP

Administrator
    Nice post Rob.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I've been hit full on (probes shot from device and 5 seconds) 4 times, 3 times in the back and once in the chest.
    Are you a glutton for punishment or what?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Are you a glutton for punishment or what?
    Once during Instructor Cert ( I think all instructors should have to do it). This was also for the original review in SWAT Magazine, so it was a bit of research.

Once to make a point to an Officer Survival Class who were overly dependent on the device ("I'd tase him" became the pat answer to every scenario).

Once again, for the same reason. (That time I was smart enough to tape and edit the piece for future LE courses to avoid having to replay the scene).

This last time for the PDV Series in a scenario setting as a demonstration of proper defensive use (and to try out the new C2/probes).

This pic is 1 frame after impact, at somewhere between 5 and 7 frames per second. (Don't try this at home, the lack of protective gear and/or soft falling area are wayyyy outside of standard Taser training protocols. We had rehearsed several times and although the final edit will look very dynamic it was a relatively controlled demo.)

-RJP

Senior Moderator
    That confirms it.

You ARE a glutton for punishment...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links