Does a taser hit (flying dart type) result in muscle freezing or contraction?

This is a discussion on Does a taser hit (flying dart type) result in muscle freezing or contraction? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wondering this for a while. Does the person just "freeze" as they are and fall, or do they contract all their muscles (involuntarily ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've been wondering this for a while.

Does the person just "freeze" as they are and fall, or do they contract all their muscles (involuntarily of course), and then fall? The biggest scenario I'm wondering is what if someone has a finger on a trigger and they go down. Does their hand involuntary squeeze, causing a discharge?

I guess basically, what specifically is the musculatory response to a Taser charge?

thanks.

Everyone I've seen flopped like a fish. If the bad guy had a firearm in his hand, the Taser is not the proper tool to be deployed, and that officer should no longer have a job.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    Everybody will react slightly different, so the answer to your question is "it depends".

And I agree with AZ Husker for the most part.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Does the person just "freeze" as they are and fall, or do they contract all their muscles (involuntarily of course), and then fall?
    Yes.
    As Sixto said, everyone is different, so what I feel may be different than what you feel.

My calfs hurt for 3 days after I took the shot. They got so tight that you could smash a coke bottle over them. As for freezing, YES, for 5 seconds I was completely frozen, in fact, it was the longest 5 seconds of my life.

Think of it as total confusion and with no ability to do anything about it.

The biggest scenario I'm wondering is what if someone has a finger on a trigger and they go down
    As already stated, if they go down, it should be because their brain has been interrupted by an injection of lead, not electricity.

I guess basically, what specifically is the musculatory response to a Taser charge
    Your muscles want to run and hide and when they do that they collide into each other.They yell and they scream and they quiver and they quit listening to your brain. As a result of that, while that electricity is surging through muscles that you never knew existed, they cease to work together as a team and total anarchy results. This can result in achieving contorted positions that you have never seen or experienced and can be quite comical to those observing.

Trust me, you don't want any part of this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Call me nuts but I would take a shot from a Taser. Most people when they touch 110 volts with their hand get a nice shock. I have to lick my fingers to fell that. I have played with Neon Light transformer and have gotten one hell of a kick from a oil burner transformer that delivers 10,000 volts. Am I correct that the Taser first shock is 5,000 and then drops down to 500. Has anybody seen a taser not work when properly deployed ?

Senior Moderator
    Yeah...
    I thought I was pretty tough too.

It wasnt quite like I expected it to be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Call me nuts but I would take a shot from a Taser. Most people when they touch 110 volts with their hand get a nice shock. I have to lick my fingers to fell that. I have played with Neon Light transformer and have gotten one hell of a kick from a oil burner transformer that delivers 10,000 volts. Am I correct that the Taser first shock is 5,000 and then drops down to 500. Has anybody seen a taser not work when properly deployed ?
    Its not the volts that get you, its the amps.

Anyway, yes, I've seen a Taser not work plenty of times, but it was due to operator or equipment error and never because somebody was to tough.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Right, I agree with you all - I am definitely not advocating bringing a taser to a gun fight and that if you had another choice, a taser would be a completely inappropriate response to an active shooter or about-to-be active shooter especially given the one-shot nature of the Taser. However, I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    The way it works, if I understand correctly, is that basically:

1) Prongs deploy and penetrate a little into the skin, dependent on clothing and such.
    2) There is then an extremely high voltage that is realized across the terminals. This causes a plasma arc between the two prongs. If you know about lightning, the way that manages to conduct electricity across something like air is that there is a channel of plasma-ized air (making up words here, sorry) that forms, which is actually highly conductive.
    3) After the initial plasma arc, there is now a low impedence (resistance) channel through which a low voltage, low current charge can flow. Since there is little resistance in the flesh (after that initial high voltage arc), a high voltage is no longer needed. It only flows between these two prongs (that is the circuit path) so if you're touching the guy elsewhere you won't get zapped, but the guy who got hit will go down.

Sorry I am bit of a nerd with this stuff

Thanks for the responses everyone.

A good friend of the family who I would call uncle Mike. Mikes father was a electrician for 50+ years, he does not feel 220 volts. So I wonder could somebody not be effected by a Taser as 9% of people are not effected by OC. I still want to get zapped. One day when we all get together somebody bring a Taser and I will bring a change of clothes.

Administrator
    Good thread.

Interesting that there was a guy on TV (test subject doing a "Mind Over Body" experiment) that was able to do some deep concentration right before being shot with a Taser and he was able to overcome the central nervous system disruption and consciously rip the dart wires out of his chest.
    I think just barely but, he did do it.

Not a likely real life scenario though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Dont worry about the change of clothes.

You'll be locked up so tight that there is no danger of embarassing yourself.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I was at a Law Enforcement Expo years ago when the stun guns (not tasers) first came out. They were asking for volunteers and would give the sucker one of the new units. Free? I jumped right up there. I have a huge tolerance to pain. The demonstrator quietly told me that it was OK to just drop when I felt it. I'm thinking "No way, I'm gonna beat this thing". He hit me on top of my shoulder and I dropped like a sack of potatoes. It's not a pain thing, it shuts functions down.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I had a little taste of one for a second. I can't wait to see my training video of when I get the whole tazing experience, LOL.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Senior Moderator
    The thing that surprised me the most were the darts. Those things are at least 3/4" long and are sharp, like a hypodermic needle. They have a barb on them much like that of a fishhook.

When you look at them you just know its gonna hurt, because they looked wicked.

The thing is though, no one that went through the class even noticed when they were being pulled out of their backs. I guess that all that signal scrambling electricity had stimulated your nervous system so much that it wasn't painful at all. As far as they stick in with that nasty looking barb, it does take some effort to remove.

I was so jazzed up I didn't even noticed when someone pulled them out of me.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Never fails to amaze me that departments make their officers get tazed and sprayed with OC "so they know how effective it is". Why not make them get shot with their duty weapon so they can be assured of its effectiveness?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links