Pepper Spray indoors? - Page 2

Pepper Spray indoors?

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray indoors? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you image the lawsuits against you if you sprayed a BG and then some innocent asthmatic started having problems!?!?!?!?! In todays age when you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pepper Spray indoors?

Can you image the lawsuits against you if you sprayed a BG and then some innocent asthmatic started having problems!?!?!?!?!

In todays age when you can't have peanut butter in public schools or on some public transportation, I'd just much rather have my pistol with me.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    Can you image the lawsuits against you if you sprayed a BG and then some innocent asthmatic started having problems!?!?!?!?!
    This was, unfortunately, my first thought also...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas

In todays age when you can't have peanut butter in public schools or on some public transportation, I'd just much rather have my pistol with me.
    Can you imagine being assualted, robbed, raped, etc. while that innocent asthmatic along with anyone else in that car most likely just sat there and watched it happen?
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Don't be fooled by the effects of OC on yourself or on an unsuspecting subject. Under those circumstances, the chemical may well cause incapacitation and agonizing pain...just as advertised. Some brands (like some of the foams) feature a brilliant dye to mark the BG for cops. All of that is well and good, but it doesn't address the BG who's high on drugs OR in an extreme emotional rage OR can just focus very effectively...the chemical may not have the desired effect....at all. I've been hit with a variety of chemical agents: CS & CN in the form of gas grenades and training pellets (burned for training chambers) as well as commercially sold "mace" and other stuff. When I was VERY young and working as an unarmed security guard my issued can of "mace" actually exploded on me and covered me in the stuff. Not very fun. But I wasn't paralyzed, either. I've got buddies in Special Operations who can durn near GARGLE with the stuff. For them it's a matter of mind over matter: They don't mind, because it doesn't matter. I think chemicals are for the wives of police administrators who want to look PC for future elected office.

TASERS and other stun devices work on established scientific principles. They work 99% of the time...however, there is that shred of the populace that is simply resistant to electricity. I personally adhere to the theory that if the attack doesn't rise to the level where deadly force can be used as a valid solution, you should be able to extricate yourself by other means which don't involve chemicals....If the attack is lethal in nature, then lethal force may be applied. That's what this forum is all about....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup
    Can you imagine being assualted, robbed, raped, etc. while that innocent asthmatic along with anyone else in that car most likely just sat there and watched it happen?
    Oh don't worry about me, I've traded in my can of OC for a S&W LONG time ago!

The POINT is that in todays day and age, people are filing lawsuits LEFT and RIGHT and it's a darn shame....
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

I have used OC on several occassions while working. The first time was about 15 yrs ago, our agency just starting carrying OC. Went to a domestic. The BG was arrested from a domestic. He knew martial arts. To say literally, he began to kick butt. I OC'd the guy with a fog. Needless to say we all bailed out of the mobile home with alot of contamination behind.

About 2 yrs ago I dealt with a guy on meth. I sprayed him with foam OC. He wiped it off his face and threw it back at me. He was trying to get to a knife in a back pack, which I did not let happen. It took a while before the effects became apparent on the BG. I went hands on with him. My back up arrived and the guy was taken to the ground. I went down with him due to ice, falling on my holster. I bruised my right hip socket VERY PAINFUL. I thought my leg broke.
    My first choice now is a tazer. Due to cost OC is a great option but has many limitations. Guess what it comes down to is its just another tool. Know how and where to use whats in your tool box!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckster
    I have used OC on several occassions while working. The first time was about 15 yrs ago, our agency just starting carrying OC. Went to a domestic. The BG was arrested from a domestic. He knew martial arts. To say literally, he began to kick butt. I OC'd the guy with a fog. Needless to say we all bailed out of the mobile home with alot of contamination behind.

About 2 yrs ago I dealt with a guy on meth. I sprayed him with foam OC. He wiped it off his face and threw it back at me. He was trying to get to a knife in a back pack, which I did not let happen. It took a while before the effects became apparent on the BG. I went hands on with him. My back up arrived and the guy was taken to the ground. I went down with him due to ice, falling on my holster. I bruised my right hip socket VERY PAINFUL. I thought my leg broke.
    My first choice now is a tazer. Due to cost OC is a great option but has many limitations. Guess what it comes down to is its just another tool. Know how and where to use whats in your tool box!
    Sounds like you had a BAD day man. Well I'm glad nothing serious happened to you.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Administrator

Heavy On Drugs

Some that are Heavy on drugs are somewhat resistant to the burning, painful, effects of OC. That is true.
    It still WILL have a blinding effect if you can get the stream directly into the eyes.
    Some other folks hit with even even minor amounts of it will instantly have all of the fight taken out of them. It just depends on the BG person.
    You just never know.
    It's TRUE that OC is obviously not the Ideal "solve every problem" ideal answer to Self Defense.
    The newer Fox Labs 5.3 SHU is pretty strong stuff.
    For people who can not or will not carry a firearm it at least gives them a certain range of distance from the threat to begin some sort of positive defensive action in order to increase their chances to exit a dangerous situation or...head for the baseball bat.
    An added plus for OC is that it FOR SURE does work very well on vicious attacking 4 legged dogs.
    I mostly carry carry it in case a stray, wild dog tries to attack mine.
    Just like anything and everything LESS than a properly placed bullet it has its practical limitations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links