Alan Folts Ti Chopstix Review

This is a discussion on Alan Folts Ti Chopstix Review within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While attending Davi's Tip of the Blade in NC this summer I got to spend some time with Knifemaker Alan Folts. At previous shows his ...

Thread: Alan Folts Ti Chopstix Review

Alan Folts Ti Chopstix Review

While attending Davi's Tip of the Blade in NC this summer I got to spend some time with Knifemaker Alan Folts. At previous shows his Ti chopstix had caught my attention but I was always dragged away to something else. Well I got a set from Alan in NC. I have to admit that although I love Chinese food they were less for eating and more about what I could drive them through. Being realistic I know I need a fork at a Chinese buffet to keep my swimsuit figure.

Even though most people here would realize that anything could be used as a weapon I want to say from the start that I will not accept any responsibility for Alan's stix being carried or used for anything other than an eating utensil.

When choosing your stix you have several color choices. Mine are kind of a green and light purple. They are just a hair under 9.5 inches long and really have no weight worth noting. They come in a nice nylon pouch with a velcro closure. Taking them in my gloved hands I did the absolute best I could to bend them and I am not sure at the end as I was gritting my teeth, if it was the stix or my hands that were giving a bit. Common sense would say my hands. This test was really just because since no matter what they are used for chances are they will never see this kind of stress.

The next think I did was take one of the post office cartons I had in the office and stabbed it. Pictured are the results. These cartons are made of a very heavy duty corrugated plastic. I stabbed it one time with about 25% power with using a hammer fist grip without my thumb on top of the stick. Only my hand prevented further penetration.

Admittedly the stix have sat on my desk for a few months until today I got around to putting this review together. Before I started writing this I walked out to my shop to measure the stix and figured one more test was in order. I put gloves on and took a copy of the yellow pages and laid in on my desk in preparation of stabbing it with a one of the stix. The results surprised me and actually led to me immediately putting them into my Bag of Evil. One hammer fist with my thumb on top of the stick penetrated a whopping 515 pages into the phone book and left an impression at least 25 more pages deep. That is approximately .75 inches of penetration with me using about 75% power. This coupled with the fact that the stix do not have a sharpened point show the massive effect concentrated force can have on a surface area.

Their lightweight, flatness and lack of any sharp edges would lend them to concealing almost anywhere. I believe Alan also makes a kydex holder for them. They could also be taped or stuck just about anywhere.

Now all I have to do is try eating with them. I think I am better at stabbing stuff.

You can contact Alan Folts at tistix.com.

2. Remove Ads

Mo
    Nice - I love Thai food. I might have to check these out, I probably deserve a set of custom chopsticks.

Reminds me of an old kung fu magazine article i once saw a long time ago, about ancient weapons, one being something called chopticks and iron bowl, both the chopsticks and the rice bowl are slightly oversized and made of iron.

This seems like a modern version, and probably easier to use.

Can you carry them into a plane?

Dunno about on a plane. I don't want to be the first one to try.

Hey Brother Mercop,

It's been awhile. As usual great post.

As for flying, I have been on a number of planes with my Ti- chopsticks and Ti- spork with no problems.

Brian

Too long Brian.

Links