Looking for a tactical folder with a 'pocket hook'

This is a discussion on Looking for a tactical folder with a 'pocket hook' within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope I can describe this adequately...I'm looking for a folder, has a hook sort of thing on top of the blade near the base. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a tactical folder with a 'pocket hook'

Looking for a tactical folder with a 'pocket hook'

I hope I can describe this adequately...I'm looking for a folder, has a hook sort of thing on top of the blade near the base. The clip is mounted in a reverse fashion so that when you pull it out of the pocket, the hook catches on the edge and pops the blade open (and this is key) in a reverse "ice pick" grip.

The knife itself has to look 'innocent' - no Navy-Seal-wannabe blades. Only 4 inch blade at the max.

A friend bought one at a gun/knife show, but when I went and questioned the dealer, he didn't have any more and couldn't tell me the brand name. I think I saw a Spyderco like this once, but it was all black and evil looking. My friend's blade has wood 'grips' (is that the right term for a knife?).
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Spyderco endura/delica wave (i have a endura,) Emerson, many makers make them. I prefer spyderco.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Emerson holds the patent on the wave feature, but Spyderco licenses it from them. Cold Steel also makes knives that mimic this feature. I have a waved Spyderco Endura and I love it.

you can either buy an Emerson, Spyderco, or Cold Steel with that feature, or buy a folder with a thumbhole, and make it yourself using a wire tie:

this trick works with any thumbhole opening knife.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    you can either buy an Emerson, Spyderco, or Cold Steel with that feature, or buy a folder with a thumbhole, and make it yourself using a wire tie:

this trick works with any thumbhole opening knife.
    Not quite any... the pocket clip has to be designed to carry the knife in the pocket with the tip up (hinge down). I like your trick, though!

The Spyderco is the best buy, and a more reliable design than even Emerson's original. Larger & smoother notch- catches the seam more readily (and is less destructive to the wardrobe).

The zip-tie mods can work, but don't fit the "first-time-every-time" criteria for me (or many others).

Buy the Spyderco and you will not be dissapointed!!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I can vouch for Emerson. I have EDC a Mini-Commander for 10 years.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The Emerson Karambit worn in the reverse grip fit the bill and works well using inverted edge principles. I am not a fan of waved knives drawn to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    The Spyderco is the best buy, and a more reliable design than even Emerson's original. Larger & smoother notch- catches the seam more readily (and is less destructive to the wardrobe).

The zip-tie mods can work, but don't fit the "first-time-every-time" criteria for me (or many others).
    ditto that, I tried the zip-tie mod and was not satisfied. It works when you're just goofing around but it doesn't perform consistently enough for me when trying it under any type of time-pressure or stress.

I've got a Spyderco P'kal, Endura, and Delica and all of them work great. Much better than the Emersons in my experience.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Spydercos are really good, hence all the recommendations. They have some very 'casual' models as well. I like the Emerson because I study/use a karambit. Spyderco used to make one as well, but it is discontinued. The 'wave' feature is like anything else, practice makes perfect!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    The clip is mounted in a reverse fashion so that when you pull it out of the pocket, the hook catches on the edge and pops the blade open (and this is key) in a reverse "ice pick" grip.
    Get a Spyderco Endura/Delica with the "Wave" feature (the hook).

The pocket clips on those can be attached on either side, and at either end.

You'll want to set it up in such a fashion as to achieve your desired goal. Blade tip UP, blade spine FORWARD.

.....and you'll want to clip the knife onto the pocket as far FORWARD as possible.......which will likely be awkward in a front pocket.

.....and using a rear pocket will make the mechanics of the draw a bit awkward.

Interesting idea, though. If I didn't carry my wallet in my off-side rear pocket, I might consider that myself.

I really like my Emerson CQC-14 but it doesn't have options for changing the position of the pocket clip to draw and use the hook in reverse grip.

The Spyderco Endura Wave and Delica Wave can both be configured to use the the "wave" as you've described (open in reverse grip using the hook/wave). Both are quality knives. If you have small hand the Endura may be the better option.

Emerson.
    I have several and all hold up extreamly well.
    كافر

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have the Spyderco Delica wave, Endura wave, and a couple of the Emerson CQC waves too. The wave hook on the Emerson is much smaller than the Spyderco wave hook. I find the Emerson hook easier to work, even though you'd think the bigger hook would be easier. The Emerson edges are much squarer and do significantly erode the pants at the top edge of the knife, as mentioned earlier in the thread by Rob72.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links