Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a tactical folder with a 'pocket hook'

4K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  jensen47770 
#1 ·
I hope I can describe this adequately...I'm looking for a folder, has a hook sort of thing on top of the blade near the base. The clip is mounted in a reverse fashion so that when you pull it out of the pocket, the hook catches on the edge and pops the blade open (and this is key) in a reverse "ice pick" grip.

The knife itself has to look 'innocent' - no Navy-Seal-wannabe blades. Only 4 inch blade at the max.

A friend bought one at a gun/knife show, but when I went and questioned the dealer, he didn't have any more and couldn't tell me the brand name. I think I saw a Spyderco like this once, but it was all black and evil looking. My friend's blade has wood 'grips' (is that the right term for a knife?).

#6 ·
The Spyderco is the best buy, and a more reliable design than even Emerson's original. Larger & smoother notch- catches the seam more readily (and is less destructive to the wardrobe).:wink:

The zip-tie mods can work, but don't fit the "first-time-every-time" criteria for me (or many others).

#10 ·
The Spyderco is the best buy, and a more reliable design than even Emerson's original. Larger & smoother notch- catches the seam more readily (and is less destructive to the wardrobe).:wink:

The zip-tie mods can work, but don't fit the "first-time-every-time" criteria for me (or many others).
ditto that, I tried the zip-tie mod and was not satisfied. It works when you're just goofing around but it doesn't perform consistently enough for me when trying it under any type of time-pressure or stress.

I've got a Spyderco P'kal, Endura, and Delica and all of them work great. Much better than the Emersons in my experience.

#11 ·
Spydercos are really good, hence all the recommendations. They have some very 'casual' models as well. I like the Emerson because I study/use a karambit. Spyderco used to make one as well, but it is discontinued. The 'wave' feature is like anything else, practice makes perfect!

#12 ·
The clip is mounted in a reverse fashion so that when you pull it out of the pocket, the hook catches on the edge and pops the blade open (and this is key) in a reverse "ice pick" grip.
Get a Spyderco Endura/Delica with the "Wave" feature (the hook).

The pocket clips on those can be attached on either side, and at either end.

You'll want to set it up in such a fashion as to achieve your desired goal. Blade tip UP, blade spine FORWARD.

.....and you'll want to clip the knife onto the pocket as far FORWARD as possible.......which will likely be awkward in a front pocket.

.....and using a rear pocket will make the mechanics of the draw a bit awkward.

Interesting idea, though. If I didn't carry my wallet in my off-side rear pocket, I might consider that myself.

#13 ·
I really like my Emerson CQC-14 but it doesn't have options for changing the position of the pocket clip to draw and use the hook in reverse grip.

The Spyderco Endura Wave and Delica Wave can both be configured to use the the "wave" as you've described (open in reverse grip using the hook/wave). Both are quality knives. If you have small hand the Endura may be the better option.

#15 ·
I have the Spyderco Delica wave, Endura wave, and a couple of the Emerson CQC waves too. The wave hook on the Emerson is much smaller than the Spyderco wave hook. I find the Emerson hook easier to work, even though you'd think the bigger hook would be easier. The Emerson edges are much squarer and do significantly erode the pants at the top edge of the knife, as mentioned earlier in the thread by Rob72.

#17 ·
i have the spyderco endura wave,it works great for me.

#18 ·
I don;t know if these are too "navy seals" for you,

M21 Special Forces

The blade length is 3.875" and the clip is easily reversible.

But I love CRKT products, I have and use many of them.

If you want something a little smaller or leas "seals", look at the M16-12 series.

#19 ·
Wow - thanks for all the replies!! I think what I saw at the show must have been the Spyderco Endura - maybe I'll go for that one after all. If I remember correctly, it was about $100 - $120 at the show - I'll have to see what it is online.

I want the knife to look as 'innocent' as possible - it will be part of my EDC kit (along with my SW 3913) - and I'm a civilian, don't really need a true military blade. My kids are in Boy Scouts and I want it looking as unobtrusive as possible in a fighting blade - it will be on the campouts with us and I don't necessarily want the sheep-dads to realize there's a sheepdog in their midst... I have kerambits also (been training in Filipino MA and Krav Maga for a few years now, after 25 years in Tae Kwon Do and Aiki-jutsu), and while kerambits conceal well it's difficult to mask their true purpose. "Er, it's a fancy toothpick..."

Anyway - the pictures are GREAT and when I get one (if my wife has left me any money after Christmas!) I'll post it.

THANKS

#21 ·
I saw that Emerson Super QCB-7 and now I want it bad. It's pricey...but I'm gonna have to buy it. Yet another knife to add to the ever growing collection. I've recently gotten my TDI in and a Gerber Combat Folder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.