Newbie Looking for First Defense Knife

This is a discussion on Newbie Looking for First Defense Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since as a college student I am not allowed to carry a firearm on campus, plus I'm not 21 yet... I've been looking for a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking for First Defense Knife

Since as a college student I am not allowed to carry a firearm on campus, plus I'm not 21 yet... I've been looking for a good self defense alternative. I understand your brain is the best defense tool you have because it can help you can avoid many situations. However, I still don't feel comfortable without a last ditch knife. I have a Leatherman and Swiss Army knife....but figured it was time to get a real knife. What I'm looking for is a good folder for about $50.

I've been looking at a few, specifically the SOG Aegis, SOG Twitch XL, Kershaw Blur, a handful of Smith and Wesson knifes, and some of the cheaper CKRT's, but still have little clue to which one I should get. I'm tempted just go down to a local store and play around with a few until I find one I like, but I usually try to get the best for the money... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Administrator
    Helpful Hint: Before you decide on any particular knife for carry...you need to find out if your state has any blade length restrictions or "assisted opening" restrictions or double edge restrictions...etc. Then go from there.

I'm currently in Texas; the limit is 5.5 inches. However, I need something that will fit in my pocket so I was thinking around 3-4in? From reading the Texas Lawbook, assisted is ok, automatic is not.

Administrator
    I carry the SOG Pentagon Elite II which has a 5" blade but, that is a longer blade length than most folks carry. I don't find it to be any sort of problem though.
    You have a lot of good choices up there.
    I just saw the S&W line shown on gun TV but, have not seen them first hand. The price was right though.

I'm a fan of spyderco's, which are a little above your price range in the 60-70 range. And you can get a delice or endura which gives you one handed opening without a mechanical device to achieve it.

You can get a benchmade griptilian or mel-pardue for about 70.

CKRT's are ok, but I hate the auto lawks on all the new ones, but my m-16 14 has been rugged and hasn't failed me yet through a lot of field ops and half a deployment. But their really cheap models aren't made of the best materials.

I'd stay away from s&w knives just from personal experience, they usually lasted a max of 6 months and then fell apart on me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Is there or is there not a new line of S&W knives? Anybody know or know about those?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

i recommend the kabar tdi knife, its a fixed blade knife.

You can't go wrong with SOG Twitch. I have the smaller one (not the XL) and really like it. I had a gift card to lowes and thats where I found mine. I wouldn't mine upgrading to the XL model though. It holds a good edge and I really like the assisted opening feature. I don't really like the lock that holds it closed because I sometimes engage it and have to switch it off to open the blade, but not enough to replace it with something that costs a whole lot more.

Kershaw Blur is a good knife. Suggest you go look at the ones you are considering and handle them before buying. Gunshow or a well stocked dealer would be the place. Just like guns, it has to feel right to you.

I've looked at and considered the Kabar TDI, but I think in this PC world it would be much harder to try and explain it to or LEOs than a folder would be.

I have a Kershaw Shallot and love it. My knives are well-used. I had one of the older Leek models and after about 1 1/2 years I was having some issues (not locking open). I took it back and they let me trade it in (for purchase value) towards my Shallot. The issues that I had with the Leek have been fixed on the newer ones though. Either way, I prefer to not have the slide blade lock (like the Leek has). I also have an older S&W Pocket Defender that is well used, but it's falling apart, which hasn't happened with any of my Kershaw knives.

As noted above though, you do need to go and handle these different models to see what fits you best. Good luck with your search. I just recently graduated from college, but I always carried a blade on campus.

-Jeff-

Another vote for Spyderco. I have a Native and a Delica. Got each one for around $50.

Also when you get some extra cash, you might want to get a trainer which is a replica of your knife without a sharp edge on it.

Trainers are good for practicing weapon access and to work fast moves without opening up an artery.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I like the Kershaw Leek myself and have never had any issues with the sliding blade lock. I just don't use it. This is a slim design knife and it is at home clipped to your pocket or deep inside it.
    God bless our troops!

In my opinion the best knife at that price point and above is the Spyderco Endura. When you can also get the trainer for it. I think that the role knives play, especially folders is very misunderstood. Even more so if you are are using it to augment a firearm.

When you have more money I think that anyone interested in SD should have an Emerson La Griffe. It is the J Frame of the knife world.

Will second Mercops opinon.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links