Expandable Batons

This is a discussion on Expandable Batons within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know where I can locate info concerning Expandable Baton carry by non-LEO's ?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expandable Batons

Expandable Batons

Does anyone know where I can locate info concerning Expandable Baton carry by non-LEO's ?
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

I Don't Think You Can Carry One In NV If Non LEO

I know that in Pennsylvania Expandable Baton carry by Non LEOs is a no~no.

I am Best Guessing that (See Below) an Expandable Baton would be prohibited in NV since it IS in effect a collapsible Billy Club which seems to be prohibited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nevada
    1. Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 202.355 and 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, a person within this state shall not:

(a) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into the State, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give, lend or possess any knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a switchblade knife, blackjack, slungshot, billy, sand-club, sandbag or metal knuckles;
    (d) Carry concealed upon his person any:
    (1) Explosive substance, other than ammunition or any components thereof;
    (2) Dirk, dagger or machete;
    (3) Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon; or
    (4) Knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle.

7. As used in this section:

(f) “Switchblade knife” means a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife or any other knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, any blade of which is 2 or more inches long and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle or other mechanical device, or is released by any type of mechanism. The term does not include a knife which has a blade that is held in place by a spring if the blade does not have any type of automatic release.
    (g) Trefoil means an instrument consisting of a metal plate having three or more radiating points with sharp edges, designed in the shape of a star, cross or other geometric figure and used as a weapon for throwing.

Thanks QKShooter,

I wasn't sure, I am looking for a BU other than another gun or knife. Any suggestions ?
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

Administrator

Question Tough One

Maybe a 2 Ounce Fox Labs OC Spray & a City Stick By Cold Steel?

Hummmmmmm....but, then I'm wondering if Nevada Law could look sideways at The City Stick due to the way that it is marketed. ???

You could have a Lathe Turner/Woodworker in your area Lathe Turn you an ordinarly looking Ball knob walking stick in one of the following woods: (there are also other SUPER DENSE heavy exotic & HARD woods...but, here are a few)
    Lignum Vitae ~ Bubinga ~ Ebony ~ Ash ~ Purpleheart ~ Tulipwood ~ Bloodwood

Koppo stick (I like the ASP Defender)

Lead Moderator
    O.C. , martial arts training, a mag light.

http://roadietools.com/thumper.html

Getting lug nuts off frequently takes some extra effort......

Edit to add this:
    http://www.rickhindererknives.com/
    Hinderer's batons are topnotch! EDC Knives also markets some that he's making in Al, at about half the price of the Ti. I have the Ti, and it will put the owie! on you.

A big 6-C or 6-D cell Maglite is a good flashlight and you can carry it right out in the open when walking at night....and it's a flashlight, not an impact weapon. Meanwhile, it's tough enough to definitely hit "something."
    An ASP baton is useful (at least once in my experience) in that when you snap it open, it's a deterrent to someone who didn't really want an altercation in the first place.
    These days, I just walk away if at all possible, but I do have some Fox spray....

For the truck nothing beats a 6 C-cell maglight. Better hitting than my 26" ASP ever thought of, and it's not a "weapon" by design.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Maybe a 2 Ounce Fox Labs OC Spray & a City Stick By Cold Steel?

Hummmmmmm....but, then I'm wondering if Nevada Law could look sideways at The City Stick due to the way that it is marketed. ???

You could have a Lathe Turner/Woodworker in your area Lathe Turn you an ordinarly looking Ball knob walking stick in one of the following woods: (there are also other SUPER DENSE heavy exotic & HARD woods...but, here are a few)
    Lignum Vitae ~ Bubinga ~ Ebony ~ Ash ~ Purpleheart ~ Tulipwood ~ Bloodwood
    Cold Steel also offers a wood version of the City Stick and I think it's called the Walkabout. I have one and it is great.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    It really bugs me that in TN a telescoping baton is illegal for civilians. It seems especially illogical that I can be trusted to carry a handgun but not a baton.

Well, you can inflict more serious injuries (excluding death) with a baton. Leaving them "broken on the wheel" so to speak........

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, I know batons are a potential deadly weapon; so is a walking stick. I can legally carry one, but not the other. And, round(s) through the liver, kidney, kneecap, etc. is pretty serious not to mention the danger of a misplaced round(s) to bystanders.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    A while back I picked up a ASP (26") from an LEO that had got it by mistake. Think he said that it was too long. In Fla.they are legal for a CWP holder to own/carry.
    The only time that I carry it is when I'm out walking off supper, in the late afternoom.
    We have dogs in our area that run together from neighborhood to neighborhood.
    I would much rather whack one with the ASP than have to shoot it.
    The ASP slips down into a 12" length of plastic pipe that has a screw on cap on one end and a friction cap on the other.
    I have been told by LEO's that this method of carry fits the guidelines of "concealed" as per Fla. statutes.
    I have no official training with the ASP but have been shown several moves, holds, locks, and striking methods by an ex LEO.
    That is fine with me. If needed I can revert "back" to my primary.--------

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    We are lucky we are allowed to carry them. And I never leave home without my small snapout baton.

It's my first choice when deadly force is not a threat. Nothing like a damn good wacking with a hard steel baton to slow down some stupid person trying to pull off something on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links