Tiny Boker Poker

This is a discussion on Tiny Boker Poker within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Try it with your index finger on the spine of the blade. It's ability to conceal and be deployed this way is it's strong point....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Boker Poker

Try it with your index finger on the spine of the blade. It's ability to conceal and be deployed this way is it's strong point.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Just got my new Subclaw - I'm impressed with www.edcdepot.com's response.

I am highly impressed with the solidity of this little knife. It is tiny in my hands, of course (see sketch), but the grip is surprisingly secure. It won't be the scariest in a knife fight, but I will certainly enjoy using it for boxes and such.

I've never owned a "real" knife - this certainly beats the $4 junk knives I've had in the past! I can heartily recommend this knife.
    Listen to semperfi.4's suggestion and do not let its size fool you. You need to be confident that it will do its job. This is not a knife that will intimidate or threaten anyone. Its purpose is as your last ditch effort to survive a close contact attack. Keep it razor sharp so if you use it for daily cutting chores sharpen it. A couple of strokes on a ceramic stone should take care of it, should never need a course stone unless you have given it some serious abuse and chipped the blade. If you are not skilled at sharpening use a Lanskey or Gatco knife sharpening kit. Be sure your kit includes a ceramic stone if not add one about $7. Last look at mercops link again. Easy enough for you to replicate it. Hang some bottles up slash the crap out of them. Practice opening your SubClaw, practice drawing from concealment and slashing those bottle to death. It may seem and feel silly doing it. Do it anyway. Remember your target areas. With this knife it is any exposed areas avoid heavy clothing you won't get through. So go for eyes throat face and hands. If you can manage enough force the crotch between their legs besides the psychological impact of losing the family jewels if you hit their femoral artery it gives them about ten seconds to say good by
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Had some fun with it today: my wife and I were fussing with a round hay bale, and she was trying to use a sprung pair of scissors to cut the plastic netting off of the bale so the calves woudn't eat it. She was muttering very ladylike but dire imprecations about the scissors, so I offered the Boker. I opened it and handed it to her VERY CAREFULLY, and she cut a three-foot swath in one swipe! It was fun to hear the 'v-i-i-i-p!' of the cut and her "Yay!"

Seriously sharp and useful for the farm, and perfectly plausible to carry. Thanks, Longrider, for starting the thread and for your advice.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Thanks. Be sure to keep her sharp. I carry another knife for chores a small Kershaw Chive or Leek on the key ring or clipped into your rear pocket. Around the farm away from the sheeple a Kershaw Black Horse 4 inch blade is an excellent tool and a lethal SD weapon if need be. I've carried mine for a good dozen years. A great knife molded non slip grip easy to sharpen keeps a razor edge near bullet proof. Great knives do not have to cost a fortune, though some high end knives are nice to have and I do have a small fortune invested in knives

Warning Knife Ownership May Become Habit Forming

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    ...Warning Knife Ownership May Become Habit Forming
    Aargh! You didn't tell me!

And you're right: I bought a second knife at the gun show on Saturday! Whatever will I do?!??
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I have spoken to Boker and to the designer Chad Los Banos who desinged the Sub Claw about doing a trainer. Chad and I are both still at them about and I will speak to them again at SHOT.

I found that the best way to exploit the design and size of this knife is with the scalpel grip. It lends itself to default targeting by just imagining you are hooking you finger and pulling. In the pictures I was cutting over the top at bottles but I feel the best way to use this defensively is using Inverted Edge Tactics but with the scalpel grip. You want to access the targets from underneath as LongRider mentioned. The natural reaction to pain is to pull away. When you use traditional over hand cuts this works against you. Whet the attacker feels any pressure against them blade or not they pull away and the blade looses contact. Using the two primary IET targets of up under the arms and inside the legs the hook of the Sub Claw sinks in and as they pull away it creates a scissor effect. This creates a very deep wound even with the small blade.

Another one that you will want to cover with the females in your life as well is the sink and twist. It is effective in a situation where someone is on top of them with little room to move. You take the Sub Claw, again with the scalpel grip. With someone almost chest to chest with you, sink the claw into their chest and twist your body.

As soon as I can get them to make the trainer or figure out a way to cost effectively modify my own I would like to do a stand alone course for the Sub Claw.

Mahalo much everyone!!!

Aloha ALL,

Hey thanks everyone for your great response toward my SFV's (Subcom Folder Variants) coming outta Boker Plus. I like 'em all, and which ones I carry on a daily, depends on my mood or if I "know" I might be needing a particular blade shape. However...

My most carried are my SubClaw and WHARCOM versions.

Some pics:

Clear sheath by Swissbianco:

Some "homemade Trainers"

Gathering...sheath by Death's Head:

God bless and mahalo much all!

tjm
    If you are not skilled at sharpening use a Lanskey or Gatco knife sharpening kit. Be sure your kit includes a ceramic stone if not add one about $7.
    I am a new Sub Claw owner and I've been trying to figure out how to sharpen that curved blade. Out of the box the thing is very sharp. I only know how to sharpen tools like chisels using a flat stone. I am going to order one of those kits today. Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I am a new Sub Claw owner and I've been trying to figure out how to sharpen that curved blade. Out of the box the thing is very sharp. I only know how to sharpen tools like chisels using a flat stone. I am going to order one of those kits today. Thanks for the information!
    Aloha tjm,

Mahalo on grabbing a SubClaw! Sharpening is easy, as the hawkbill blade is very relaxed on this one...even with a stone!!!

First, get something you can place the stone on one end without it slipping, or brace the end of the stone against something. Remember, the stone will be standing on one end.

Now, angle the stone slightly. If you freehand sharpen, you can "feel the right angle" to tilt the stone.

Next, use one corner of the stone and proceed to sharpen your SubClaw!!!

However, depending on the size of your stone, you could get away with using a corner of the stone while holding it in one hand and running the SubClaw against the corner with the other since the SubClaw blade is pretty small.

This works...ya know how folks use a Triangle Sharpmaker stone by Spyderco or a Lansky Dog bone? Same concept...just uh, go easy-easy until you get a feel for it.

God bless and keep us posted!

Great shots Chad as well as great knives!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Great shots Chad as well as great knives!!

Ron

WHOA!!!

Aloha Ron!

Great to see a familiar face here!!! Hope all has been well with you and yours and God bless Knifebro!

Hey Chad, it is really nice to have you here also!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    Aloha ALL,

Hey thanks everyone for your great response toward my SFV's (Subcom Folder Variants) coming outta Boker Plus. I like 'em all, and which ones I carry on a daily, depends on my mood or if I "know" I might be needing a particular blade shape. However...

My most carried are my SubClaw and WHARCOM versions.

Some pics:
    Show off

Joking of course. Welcome glad to see you made over here to to Defensive Carry and thanks for the pics. Always enjoy looking at your knives.

Regarding your insights on sharpening you knives how about using those round pocket hones like the ones you can sharpen serrated blades with?

Another question what are your thoughts about putting a convex edge on your knives. It seems that the SubCom F would be an excellent candidate for a convex edge. As small blades can be so eaten up with regular hones. Where as with a convex edge a light touch with fine sand paper and stropped with a bit of compound keeps a wicked razor edge on them. Obviously that won't work with a SubClaw. Anyway what are your thoughts on that?

Show off

Joking of course. Welcome glad to see you made over here to to Defensive Carry and thanks for the pics. Always enjoy looking at your knives.

Regarding your insights on sharpening you knives how about using those round pocket hones like the ones you can sharpen serrated blades with?

Another question what are your thoughts about putting a convex edge on your knives. It seems that the SubCom F would be an excellent candidate for a convex edge. As small blades can be so eaten up with regular hones. Where as with a convex edge a light touch with fine sand paper and stropped with a bit of compound keeps a wicked razor edge on them. Obviously that won't work with a SubClaw. Anyway what are your thoughts on that?
    Aloha LongRider,

Thanks for the welcome, and I am very happy to be here!

As for using those "round pocket hones", they work okay. I got a Smith's Tapered Diamond Rod for when I need a toothy edge, BUT I do not advise sharpening serrations with them. I screwed up my Spyderco Merlin BADLY with a Gerber diamond round hone...actually it was more in the shape of a "D".

Ahhhh, convex grind. I like those...they push stuff away when cutting, and yes, the Original SUBCOM F would be a great candidate for one. Maybe in the future, some of my stuff can be had in convex, but flat seems to be the latest rage and I like flat also.

Man, how you sharpen with sandpaper is beyond me!!! I "know" another guy who does the same thing, and he did wonders with his SubClaw using sandpaper. Perhaps a tutorial would be good when time permits?

God bless and mahalo!

I just have to say that Daywalker is one of the nicest guys I have ever met on the web. A year or so ago, I was looking for one of the Subcom F knives when they were first coming out. I know Daywalker from over on the Spyderco forums. It was not long before I received this little guy in my mail box. These are really great little knives!!

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links