I'm interested in the wisdom of the group here with respect to my non-firearm self-defense options (I work in a no-weapons building, and wish to keep my job).
- 53 years old, way out of shape, and have occasional back and knee problems;
- 6' 3" or so, 420 lbs, with gorilla-like shoulders and arms (and physiognomy);
- I was last in a fight in 7th grade and decided that I didn't like them (though I used to break up fights when I taught);
- I avoid questionable parts of town and lead a retiring lifestyle;
- Twenty years ago I almost maced a guy, but that's it for any real excitement;
- I have my own office with a solid door and no windows, and I'm 30 feet from a fire exit (straight shot across cubicle-land) and 35 feet from the main employee entrance (through two doors);
- I can shoot on my own property and expect to burn a lot of ammo this year;
- I have never had any knife training;
- My wife carries and our daughter is usually off at college.
- Where legal I carry a 9mm 15-round sidearm (and certainly not at work);
- I ALWAYS carry a very bright metal 2AA flashlight and a cell phone;
- I just ordered a "900 lumen" flashlight - no, I don't believe it either, but it's likely to be really, really bright and it has a strobe function;
- I used to carry pepper spray, but lost it somewhere amid all of my junk.
- VA law says 3" or more folding knives are illegal at schools; by extension, I could probably carry a <3" pocket knife at work, but certainly not a Gecko45 model (maybe that 'cute' little Boker Subcom?);
- I really could use a knife for farm-related tasks, at least occasionally.
Sounds to me like I should probably:
- Continue to carry where I can (and train);
- Rely on pepper spray and a powerful flashlight where I can't carry (and have those on me all the time).
- If I want more options in the workplace I should consider a cane (especially given my weight and bad knees).
- Consider buying the Boker just because I need a good knife and it's tiny enough to pass inspection;
- But give up on any thoughts of using a knife in a self-defense situation and rather plan on strobe-or-spray-and-run: better to recognize my lack of training and my physical limitations than to walk any further down the fantasy path.