I always remember to carry a pistol, but often forget the OC

This is a discussion on I always remember to carry a pistol, but often forget the OC within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thread on the movie theater shooting in Pa. (and especially Ramrod's comment) got me thinking about a big gap in my self defense preparedness, ...

Thread: I always remember to carry a pistol, but often forget the OC

The thread on the movie theater shooting in Pa. (and especially Ramrod's comment) got me thinking about a big gap in my self defense preparedness, and that's not packing my OC as religiously as my firearm. In other words, I'm pretty unprepared for non-lethal encounters.

I ask myself, what if I ask some guy talking in a movie theater to quiet down, and they take it as a challenge to their manhood, and wants to kick my butt (which most folks could do easily). Sure, I'll try to de-escalate, but if that doesn't work, I wouldn't be justified in shooting (in most cases)

Anyone else have this same "problem" in discipline?

Deploy OC in a movie theater? Don't think I would want to do that. What are the chances of it only effecting the target? Slim to none me thinks. Those rows of chairs make pretty good physical barriers, I might try to get a few more between or hit on of the exits that are usually close. More important don't take the bait. Easier said than done I know. Also have to consider that if you are at a movie you are likely not traveling alone. Are you responsible for the person you are with?

A little something on that topic.
    http://www.mercop.com/docs/articles11.htm

good point mercop. If you felt you had to engage, would some form of taser be more appropriate in a theater as to avoid effecting more than just the target?
    I dont really have experience with oc...quite a bit with bear spray so I was just curious as to other options.

Edit: by taser I meant the handheld that does not launch the probes...but good point
    Last edited by clipper1; December 30th, 2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added

Senior Moderator
    I don't carry OC, myself but it is an option that should be considered.

I would use it with the same relutance as my pistol

meaning I would only use it when under severe threat to life or limb
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

The only thing I had worse than OC for civilians is the Taser. Movie theaters are crowded places. Can you imagine if you accidentally hit a kid or something. Open hands, knives and sticks are contact distance weapons, if you can at least keep a row or two of the chairs between you and the BG you should be good to go for at least a little bit.

A bright flashlight would also come in handy. That and a jar of moths.

Added after pgrass101's post- if I did carry OC I would put it in the same place on my continuum force as police do, right after verbal persuasion. Way below the presentation of capability of deadly force.

I think the OC is a great idea. Crazy drunks..etc great to have something like pepperspray handy.

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    ....In other words, I'm pretty unprepared for non-lethal encounters.

What if....some guy....wants to kick my butt (which most folks could do easily)....
    Just take the beating. Seriously. We don't have to "come out on top" in every situation. The fear, of course, is that the beating can leave permanent injury.

Used to be, a fight was just a fight. Do you really need to constantly carry (and train with) a tool that can only fill a teensy band of usefulness?

The "teensy band of usefulness" is:
    - violence against you or others that you need to protect
    - that will cause permanent injury
    - that isn't what you'd consider a "grave threat of personal injury or death".

If it's just a fight, fight. Or run. Or fall down.

You mean that in the beginning of an encounter you didn't believe that it was a deadly force situation you would not use any force at all?

Many a person has been critically injured or killed just from being knocked down.

Judging from most of the posts I see here most formites would do their best not to become involved in shouting matches/arguments that usually lead to fights. However sometimes criminal attacks are like car accidents, they just happen.

Not fighting may be OK if you are not responsible for anyone except for yourself, but if that is not the case you need to think about it ahead of time.

Distinguished Member
    Forget the OC, forget the taser, just find the exit................

It will be out on Blue-ray.

Don't forget to take the popcorn out with you, cause it the best.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    You mean that in the beginning of an encounter you didn't believe that it was a deadly force situation you would not use any force at all?
    .......Not fighting may be OK .....
    No. I don't mean that at all. If someone brings a fight to you, fight back.

I have the idea in my head, but am having a hard time figuring out how to spell it out.

If there is a confrontation that comes down to a hands-on fight, fight. But, if (as the OP stated) you're not a good enough fighter to win... so be it, you get beat up.

If it wasn't a life-and-death situation, everyone will be okay.

It's not the worst thing that will ever happpen (unless you have an ego that has WAY over-inflated your self-worth, based on your perceived "manliness").

I kind of see what you are saying but here are my thoughts which I taught during officer survival classes and it can pertain to anyone.

Most of the time when a BG fights an officer it is just to get away. Officers that are killed by BGs either never make the distinction or make it to late that the BG is willing to kill them to get away or just willing to kill them.

The same thing goes for anyone who is assaulted. If at some point you just give in and take your beating don't be surprised if you attackers prey drive kicks in once you give up your back and he just keeps going. Kinda like how a cat is OK until it runs and then the do is on it.

Sponsored Links