Your EDC knife- plain or combo edge ?

This is a discussion on Your EDC knife- plain or combo edge ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings Guys, As this is my first official post let me make a short introduction; I love all things 1911 [ currently carrying the SA ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your EDC knife- plain or combo edge ?

Greetings Guys,
    As this is my first official post let me make a short introduction; I love all things 1911 [ currently carrying the SA 1911A1 TRP ] and all things sharp. I'm about to make a new EDC knife purchase and have narrowed the selection down to these;
    -Spyderco Endura
    -Spydero Military
    -Benchmade Kalgura

My current EDC is an Al Mar Eagle which does several things well, not to mention it's sharp and easy to keep that way. It's also light in the pocket which is a good thing. That being said I'm looking for something a bit more robust, something stronger than the Al Mar Ultralight Eagle.

My question- plain edge or combo edge ? I have a predisposition for plain edge carry knives but want to hear from those who carry a combo edge folder, particularly as it relates to the above choices.

Usage is primarily utility- everything from light cutting chores to emergency backup tool with a secondary emphasis on SD.

As commonly understood;
    Plain edge=easier to sharpen, easier to maintain
    Combo edge- serrations 'bite' better in various materials

Which blade type would you choose were you buying a new EDC knife tomorrow ?
    Thanks in advance to all !
    EF
    Last edited by electric; January 1st, 2009 at 09:45 PM.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I usually carry a combo edge. I know I'll have it on me...I may have a little less normal cutting surface, and harder to sharpen (though you don't have to sharpen the serrations often), but I think if I'm going to have it on me, it might as well be useful for anything that comes my way. I can use the serrations to quickly cut a seatbelt free in a crash. I can cut rope, twine, etc. easier. I'm willing to sacrifice a little fine edge for the versatility a combo edge provides.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I will also vote for the combo edge, my reasoning behind carrying a combo edge is that if in the course of using my knife the plain edge gets worn down to the point that you could ride to town on it, it's very hard to use it for it's intended purpose but with a combo edge even if my knife gets dull I can still use the serriated part to saw through things.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

I've had and carried a Spyderco Endura combo edge for several years. It's cut rope, canvas, strap down belting, been used as a pry bar several times, and basically handled everything I've thrown at it, which has for a knife been a load of it. It's been a real hard used tool, but a few minutes with a stone brings the edge right back, a little more time with the serrations does them too. Its tough.

My knife has a plain edge. I carry a Leatherman Super Tool also as EDC, it has a serated blade as well as a plain blade. If I need a serated blade I use the Super Tool.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I carry a plain edge Benchmade Griptilian (550HG). It is easy to keep razor sharp, and I have yet to find a single material that it won't glide right through. A well kept serrated edge may be superior in certain applications, such as a table knife. These are used against a ceramic plate which will wreak havoc on a plain edge. The points of the serrations keep the cutting edge from dulling on the harder surface of the plate. A serrated edge also has a longer linear cutting edge, so theoretically is more effective on a given length of stroke. For me, however, the choice isn't plain vs. combo edge - it is plain vs. fully serrated, such as a Spyderco Endura vs. Spyderco Rescue. I look at a combo edge as the worst of both worlds, where the belly of the knife is plain and will dull easily, and the amount of serration isn't significant enough to give enough of a performance increase over a regular plain blade.

YMMV, my name is not Michael Janich, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Edited to add:

My Benchmade is carried strictly for defensive/emergent needs. I carry a small SOG Twitch II (also plain edge) as well for utility needs.

Plain edge, just keep it sharp.

I carry both. My EDC for utility is a Gerber Paraframe with combo, but I also switch out my 2nd knife as either my TDI or a SOG Flash II Tanto.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Combo ftw

I've carried a combo edge for at least the last five years. This year I received a bm707s for Christmas. I would place 99% emphasis on utility for my edc and 1% on SD. Also, BM's lifesharp program is a good solution for sharpening the serations.

A CRKT Crawford Falcon with a combo edge, as well as a Leatherman with a couple of plain blades and a serrated blade.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

For now, a straight edge Schrade Gel. Razor sharp, and I've cut a lot of boxes, and hay bailing twine. $5 at the last gun show, and I love it! Yeah....I'm a redneck, but for me knives are tools. I've never had a collection under glass.

I carry a smaller plain edge, but I keep it in my purse.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

i like combo edges, but most of the knives i happen to like and/or carry don't come that way. i'd love someone to make a karambit with a combo edge.

Plain edge. For the last few months my EDC has been a BM Griptilian. I've never come across a situation where I "needed" serrations. I just keep it sharp and it handles everything I throw at it.

I must confess I too prefer the plain edge EDC as long as its razor sharp. As someone noted in a previously the combo edge may just be the worst of both words, with both the serrated and the plain edges of the blade found wanting for the task.
    Still, I understand why some would prefer the combo edge; should I ever be unlucky enough to find myself seat belt restrained whilst trying to escape a crashed vehicle, that serrated combo edge might prove to be very useful.

Not seeing very many Spyderco Military fans- too big ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links