Anyone have a Kershaw Tactical Blur?

This is a discussion on Anyone have a Kershaw Tactical Blur? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If so, what do you think of it? I went to the store the other day to once again fondle a knife I was considering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Kershaw Tactical Blur?

Anyone have a Kershaw Tactical Blur?

If so, what do you think of it? I went to the store the other day to once again fondle a knife I was considering buying, when my friend noticed the Tac Blur. I hadn't seen it yet, and tried it after he did. I LOVED IT!!! The same old reliable and smooth Kershaw spring assist that I love in my Scallions, but this one is big enough for me to use easily with my sausage fingers. Plus it had a very nice grip, and the key selling point for me was the reversable pocket clip. I like my knives to hang upside down so I don't have to flip them over before opening it.

How has it held up so far? I am really looking at getting it this week. Is it as nice as it seems?
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I would be interested to know more. I have been jonesing for a BOA for some time but cost is near $100 - and IIRC the Blur is a lower price. Still looks good and if action as you say and so, like BOA - I could consider it.

I do like Kershaws generally - just haven't managed to fondle them all up close anywhere yet.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry one clipped in my pocket every day.

It springs open quick and smooth every time, and it is VERY sharp.

The grip is very very tactile and never slips. The only drawback to the grip is that it actually roughs up the edge of the pocket that you carry it in over time, due to the rough texture.

The first thing I did was switch the clip around to the other end so that the knife is facing the right direction in my hand when I pull it out of my pocket. It takes a tiny allen wrench to loosen the two screws.

The knive feels rock solid, has high "intimidation factor" (every time I flip it out to use it in public, folks always comment on how mean it looks), and I paid $56.00 for it locally.

Get one. It's a quality blade that is functional and affordable.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

How about a pic

Looks just like this, except I've switched the clip around to the other end of the knife:

(And the "chopped tip" on the top pic isn't the way the blade is cut. That's just the way the picture was cropped.)
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

We did a pass around of the blur on OCC, most didn't like the extra course grip, but other than that it's a nice knife.

Here's my review and a pic (click to read) of the knife (red one)

Oregonshooter, is that a Griptilian in the pic above? I carry the mini Griptilian by Benchmade and it is a very sweet knife. I love the axis lock and the blade really holds an edge.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Yes it is.

I carry a Ritter Griptillian in S30V and it's the bomb for a work knife.

PS. I would not trust my fingers to anything less than an AXIS lock for stabbing, which is what the "tanto" blade suggests. YMMV

What is the closed length of the Blur?. I like the looks of the knife plus the assisted opening would be nice.!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered
    I carry one clipped in my pocket every day.

It springs open quick and smooth every time, and it is VERY sharp.

The grip is very very tactile and never slips. The only drawback to the grip is that it actually roughs up the edge of the pocket that you carry it in over time, due to the rough texture.

The first thing I did was switch the clip around to the other end so that the knife is facing the right direction in my hand when I pull it out of my pocket. It takes a tiny allen wrench to loosen the two screws.

The knive feels rock solid, has high "intimidation factor" (every time I flip it out to use it in public, folks always comment on how mean it looks), and I paid $56.00 for it locally.

Get one. It's a quality blade that is functional and affordable.
    I'm glad to hear that you like it and that's it's held up well. It's $54 around here at Wal-Mart. I can live with it roughing up my pocket a little, in exchange for that extra grip, because I have to be out in the rain and cold all the time, so grip is everything. Me thinks I may have to buy it this week.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the blur and it's a good knife but I have two things against it. First, the grit on the grip mean's it won't slip in your hands but it's miserable putting in your pocket, taking it out, etc. I wear mine IWB and it literally will chew up your pants in a heartbeat. It's like putting a real sharp file in your pocket. Honestly, i think it's too abrasive. Second issue, the sound it makes when it opens. Now it's a fast effortless knife to open. I mean in a blink it's open but it makes a loud "snap" sound. All assisted openers make a little noice but this one is very very audible. I wish it wasn't. If you were to deploy it behind your back in anticipation of trouble, those close by would say "whats that?".

It is a large knife and would be a formidable defense weapon but the things I've mentione are two detractors. At the same time I bought the CRKT M16 and I really like how that deploys just about as fast but absolutely silently. It's a slicker handle so thats both good and bad. CRKT makes a larger M16 style that I think would be an ideal tactical folder.

I too would like the kersha boa because it appears to have a smother finish and I like the blade style. If I had it to do over again, I definitely hold on the blur, save a little more, and then buy it on Ebay for $99.00 "buy it now". I've seen a few go for $79 and 80 something from individuals on ebay but those are few and far between.

Your call...

God Bless

Gideon

used SOG Vision for sale. It's got some pocket wear, but is otherwise in great shape. Very smooth opening and closing.
    Blade is ATS-34, handle scales are titanium. Tip up carry with SOG's ArcLock.
    This is a better option IMO. Better lock and similar blade design. Plus not so hard on the pocket. Could add some Safety Walk strips if you want.

It's for sale $125.00 (normally $234.00) at http://totalprotectioninteractive.co...ead.php?t=2289

You will have to register to see it, but that is a great forums to be a member of anyway.

Lead Moderator
    I too have a Blur. I have noticed pocket wear, but mostly from the clip. No worse than my other knife clips. I like the sandpaper type grip. The click of opening the knife may not be tactical, but may slow or distract an opponent. Especially if they cannot see what you have.

Thanks for all of the reviews guys.

I don't think that in my line of work, there can be too much grip on the blade, so that doesn't bother me.

As for the SOG, I like it and I wouldn't mind getting one someday, but I wouldn't spend that much on a duty knife, even if I had the money to blow. I use to carry a really high end knife, and it got stolen at work. I also lost another one on duty during a really bad foot pursuit. It got snagged on something, yanked out of my pocket, and ended up buried in a couple feet of mud somewhere(I'm guessing since I couldn't find it). So the expensive knives are athing of the past for me. Right now I am carrying a $25 Gerber, so the $54 Kershaw would be a stretch for me.

I just need something easy and fast to deploy to enhance my odds of survival against the guy who's trying to grab my gun.

I am also looking at the CRKT M16 in several different sizes, and the only reason I have found not to buy it, it the darn thing sits backwards in my pocket. I really need a knife that hangs properly so I don't have to turn it around to use it. If CRKT would get off their butts and make the pocket clip reversible, I'd be all over it.

SO,

I used a Benchmade Push Dagger paracorded behind my radio holder for a fast draw deterrent against gun grabs. You don't notice the knife with a radio in the holder and it's super easy to get too.

I can post a pic if you want. The BM cost $60.00 though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links