Defensive Carry banner

Help me get a new knife. [=

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mercop 
#1 ·
Well, this is my first post on this forum so I guess I'll start out with a simple hello. So, Hello! :wave:

Towards the end of the month, I'm going to invest in a good $50-60 Survival knife. Something that will hold a good edge for a long time, and will last me a good long while.

I've been thinking about getting the Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie, or the Buck 119 Special. What do you think of these two? What else should I consider?

(Please excuse any typos. It's 4:00 in the morning. D:"

#2 ·
What do you define as a survival knife? As far as a decent knife with about a 7" blade, a good ka-bar, something from ontario knife company, or Cold Steel ODA are all pretty decent.

#3 ·
I'd suggest that you expand your definition of "survival knife," and think about what you realistically need in the suburbs of Lexington, KY. You might consider that the best survival knife is the one you have with you. This probably argues against the big, fixed blade unless you work outdoors beyond the suburbs, or your job takes you to Afghanistan, Somalia, etc. "Surviving" in the everyday world is more likely to mean extraction from a wrecked car or cutting a tangled tow line when water skiing.

If it's a knife to keep in/on you pack or Jeep, then the big blade may be the right tool. If need to manage every day, think about a good folder.

For some thoughtful reviews, check out Equipped to Survive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.