Blade length

Blade length

This is a discussion on Blade length within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering where blade length is measured from on a knife. Is it the actual sharpened area of the blade or is it the actual ...

Thread: Blade length

Blade length

Just wondering where blade length is measured from on a knife. Is it the actual sharpened area of the blade or is it the actual metal length from tip end to hinge end.

Huck
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW!!-- What a Ride!!"

On a folder it's measured from the tip to the hinge end. Having worked airport security in the past I can tell you most screeners use the palm of the hand as a standard of measure. If the blade is smaller than the screeners palm then it's okay to go on board. If not it gets checked. Box Cutters just recently returned to the "okay to fly" lists.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Streight blade is measured from the point to the hilt. Doesn't matter weather it's sharpened or not. Although I never could understand why the heck someone would want a blade that is half sharp. It's double edged for me !! --------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Although I never could understand why the heck someone would want a blade that is half sharp.
    Greater structural strength, superior edge geometry, ease of use (try caping with a double edged knife), etc.

Double edged knives will always be more fragile, harder to use for many tasks, harder to sharpen, etc.

I avoid them personally to avoid any possible conflict with Texas laws, but even if not for that I doubt I'd carry one. A design with a sharpened false edge (the second edge doesn't go all the way down the blade) seems like a good compromise if you need a pig sticker.

Sorry Euc,should have mentioned that my blade is carried so it can be used before or after my Kimber. The blade is (I think) strong enough to penetrate an eye socket,front of the neck, or kidneys, clavical artery or brachial artery. I do not use my carry blade for striping wire,opening birthday presents,coring apples, cleaning my fingernails or caping animals.
    I do not carry a blade so I will be able to loan it to anybody or so they can"see it".
    My blade is carried just as concealed as my firearm and I treat it (like my firearm)as a CONCEALED WEAPON. -------

But even at that RSSZ some of the greatest fighting blades in history have been single edged, such as the Bowie knife.

To be sure the double edged knife has its inherent advantages too, but it's not a clear cut (pun intended) case of "This one is better than the other!". Personal proficiency counts for a lot more than the design of the knife. It should also be pointed out certain martial arts styles tend to lend itself to a double edged blade.

It is worth remarking that if a knife is solely dedicated to personal protection, then a lot of bets are off. A lot of things don't matter that otherwise would. It depends on the person and their needs if a particular design is any good or not.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate. There's a use for everything.

Administrator

Just Curious

Is the way specific Blade Length is legally measured standard nationwide...or does the measuring criteria differ from State to State?
    In other words...could the same knife be considered to have a longer blade in one State than another?
    My best guess is that at whatever distance down from the point...the blade would STOP penetrating ~ would be the actual length of the blade.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Bowie Knife, one of the "greatest fighting blades in history"?
    IMO, no way ~ no how. How many men carried a TRUE Bowie??
    The ones that did, what was it used for?? As the very last resort,fightin' knife.
    There are some great single edged knives out there, but not as (strictly) fighters.
    If I could only carry one blade, and it had to chop wood, hammer/beat/pound stuff, process a whole buffalo (including breaking the bones), and the other daily chores that the men of the old west had to do, I would probably carry a Bowie also.
    There are some great single edged blades out there that are considered fighters.
    The old style Randall fighter comes to mind.
    The Randall that I chose was the Mod 14 Attack. It had a well sharpened 1/3 back edge. It was thick, heavy, very well made, and tough as nails.
    The knife is 38 years old and is still the blade that I would choose to go into battle with.
    It was my "Bowie Knife". The one knife that did it all.
    Those of you out there that carry the folders, them little box cutters/Xacto Knives, and the other little cutting implements, are carrying you own version of the Bowie knife.
    You're carrying a blade to be pulled/used in your daily activities. A blade that will do everything that you want it to do.
    But, seriously,think about it, if you knew that you were gonna be drawn into a KNIFE FIGHT today, would you choose to be caught holding a "box cutter"???
    Some of you carry 2 or 3 guns and 50 rds of ammo but will be content to carry a 2-3 inch single edged blade. (Actually,thinkin' on it,maybe that's why you carry them "box cutters")
    I understand that your local laws dictate what some of you can carry.
    This is not to be critical of the means/methods that you have chosen for you and your families self defense.
    As I do, carry what you feel that you will need to do the best that you can, to defend yourself and your family.
    After all, when the real SHTF, you don't want to be left standing there with your ____ in your hand. ------

Just to throw something into the mix...

Many "Bowie" knives, including those of the design that Bowie himself was said to have carried, had at least a portion of the back edge sharpened. For an example, see the Laredo Bowie. This enabled the user to use "back-cut" techniques. Incidently, from what I've read, Col. Bowie was known to favor the back-cut.

As far as the design for a carry knife...for utility I carry a folder. Granted, I choose my folding knives based on their suitability for use as a weapon if needed. When it comes to fixed blades that are carried specifically as a weapon, IMO, double-edged is the way to go (yeah, I know there are different laws everywhere, I'm just talking about what I consider ideal). Single-edged knives are fine if that's what you got, I just feel that the double-edge is more versatile.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

KPT, Your absolutely right ref. the back cut.(although I call it something else) During training/sparing with my buddies wearing our black long sleve shirts,and using a training knife with chalked double edged blade,we get"cut" more that you can imagine. After an encounter with our pardner, our forearms,back of the hands,tricep areas,and thigh area has more white marks that we care to admit or make excuses for. But chalk don't lie. With a good double edged blade and some training in the art of the back cut(slash),fightin' a street punk would be almost too easy. The blood flowing from his forearms and the loss of mobility would quickly drain him of his resolve. Of course this is not a given so..........train hard,fight easy. ------

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Is the way specific Blade Length is legally measured standard nationwide...or does the measuring criteria differ from State to State?
    In other words...could the same knife be considered to have a longer blade in one State than another?
    My best guess is that at whatever distance down from the point...the blade would STOP penetrating ~ would be the actual length of the blade.
    QK,
    I wondered about that myself. I happened to have my Spyderco Native and Emerson Mini-Commander on me today so I checked the websites to see what the manufacturers said their blade lengths were in their specs.

The blade lengths were spec'd at: Native - 3-1/8" and the Mini-Commander at 3.4". I measured the Native from tip to the grip edge and got 3-1/16" - that's pretty close. I measured the Mini-Commander the same way and it was 3-5/16" (3.313") instead of 3.4" (I wonder if the point 4 is really .375" rounded up). That wasn't as close but just over a 1/16" difference. Measuring from the tip of the blade to the center of the hinge point is much different than the specs.

So, it would appear that at least Spyderco and Emerson measure from tip to edge of the grip.

Sorry for any confusion - I had to edit this a lot.

Assistant Administrator
    Strikes me the key aspect is ''effective'' blade length - which would be tip to handle grip - at least that seems the logical approach.

That said - look at barrel measurements for semi's - it includes chamber!! That for me is not an accurate representation - when from my POV, the true length, is length travelled by bullet!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Strikes me the key aspect is ''effective'' blade length - which would be tip to handle grip - at least that seems the logical approach.

That said - look at barrel measurements for semi's - it includes chamber!! That for me is not an accurate representation - when from my POV, the true length, is length travelled by bullet!!!
    That's always bothered me as well. A revolver bbl. is measured from forcing cone to muzzle, IIRC, which is closer but not truly the distance traveled by the bullet.

Sponsored Links