Pocket folder. - Page 2

Pocket folder.

This is a discussion on Pocket folder. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the knife is for utility, take a look at Uncle Henry 5UH. I've had one for many (22) years...it holds a good edge. I've ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket folder.

If the knife is for utility, take a look at Uncle Henry 5UH. I've had one for many (22) years...it holds a good edge. I've used it as an electrician, cable splicer, and even field dressing a deer ocassionally when I forget my hunting knife. When the edge needs touching up, I use a fine grit carborundum stone, then an Arkansas white marble stone, and finally an old fashioned razor strop (with canvas and leather strops) to polish the edge. The other benefit with an Uncle Henry is if you lose it, they'll replace it...or so says the guarantee I have that came with the belt pouch for it. I don't know if that warranty is any good as I have never lost the knife...it's not considered a self-defense weapon BTW.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

You can get a Kershaw Scallion for under $50, the Leek will cost a bit more. Don't have a boa yet, but it'll get here eventually, I'm sure.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    since no one has mentioned them ill chime in with CRKT m-16 i picked mine up for just over $50.00 and it holds an edge pretty good. I like the " trigger" on them better than the " thumb drive" kinves for one hand flicks.

Completely forgot about CRKT. I like the K.I.S.S. series and the Tighe designs.

Lightbulb

Your like me, I lose knives also.Well...I usta lose'em. Heres how to quit doing that...
    forget about those small knives that you can put in your pocket.
    The key is to get a larger one ( folder with 4 or 5 inch blade) with a clip. Use the clip and attach to the edge of the front pants pocket. That way you know it is attached to you. Its a bigger and heavier knife, so you will feel the heft. It'll also be easier to retrieve out of pocket quickly.
    I have had my present knife about 5 years. A Benchmade Griptillian.

Ya' got good taste artz! I carry a Benchmade 750SBT Pinnacle (framelock in ATS-34) and sometimes supplement that with an 806SBT (axis in D2) if I'm going into unknown areas. Both blades are between 3.5" and 4" (4" being the legal limit here in TN). Would like to find an M2 Nimravus Cub (fixed blade) for offside IWB carry but other things are taking priority at the moment.
    Jack

I have used many knives but prefer Spyderco. AT one time or another I had a Harpy, Jester, 2 Delicias, CoPilot, a bone handle Kiwi, and a Mini Dyad. I find the Delicias to be incredible knives. One is used for work (lawn service) and has never been sharpened. It is still very sharp after 5 years of daily abuse. The Mini Dyad is by far my favorite knife ever. It is as usable as modern folders but reminds me of old timer knives, sadly it was discontinued. I plan on buying the next Mini Dyad I find and will give it to my son whenever I have one.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have to agree with the good words said about Sal's Endura's and Delica's. I have several of each, heck one even has my agencys badge on it. I also have the Spyderco/Emerson Wave Endura (my personal favorite Spyderco) but for the price you mentioned, the Delica sure is a handy carrying knife.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

'75scout: what do you think about the Spyderco Manix?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    '75scout: what do you think about the Spyderco Manix?
    I'm not '75scout but the Manix is my EDC. It's fantastic and I love it. I need to buy a second one as a safeguard against future discontinuation.

I've never seen one or handled one personally, they look like a nice knife on the website though. If I were in the market for a new folder I'd seriously look into one of these. Although I've had my eye on a Para Military.

+1 on the CRKT M16 series (work knife) and the Kershaw/Ken Onion Leek (dress knife). Buck, Gerber, Spyderco also come to mind in the $50 range.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

VIP Member
    I have dozens of knives, but I find that for carry I keep coming back to the ones by Beretta and Cold Steel. At one time I wondered by this was so I did some investigation. The one thing these knives have in common is Japanese steel. For inexpensive productions knives these hold an edge better than any I have found. Drop in on the Cold Steel website http://www.coldsteel.com/ and request the free DVD. It is impressive.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I must disagree with the sentiment that Cold Steel's DVDs are impressive.

First of all, they will tell you that doing any of that nonsense voids the warranty. If you don't guarantee my knife will do this, then why are you showing me this?

Second of all, a lot of their tests are just asinine. So a knife will go through a car door. Great, next time I get in a scrap with a Pontiac I'll remember that. By the way, a $3 chinese knife that's not even sharp will also go through a modern car door.

Third, in independent and in house tests, in a lot of areas like lock strength their competition does just as good if not better. Spyderco for instance tests their knives meant for martial blade craft (i.e. self defense) to withstand a pressure of 200 pounds per inch of blade and their tests often exceed that.

The Spyderco Dodo withstood 425 pounds of dead weight hanging from the blade before the lock failed, and technically it didn't actually fail. Basically the G10 handle was sheared by the metal being ripped out by the sheer amount of weight.

They brag so much about their locks supporting 50-100 pounds of weight, and how sharp their knives are... how sharp a knife is depends on its user and the maintenance it receives. My knives aren't going to work nearly as well as Ed Schmepp's.

I've owned Cold Steels before and may yet again, but their marketing is pure drivel.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I never could get a Buck to sharpen to my satisfaction either. I have several Case and Schrade knives that sharpen like a dream. But, for a more "tactical" knife, I love my Kershaw Blur which I got off Ebay for $55 including shipping.

Also, EZE LAP diamond sharpening stones will sharpen your blade good enough to shave with! Highly recommended.

http://www.eze-lap.com/
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links