Pocket folder.

Pocket folder.

This is a discussion on Pocket folder. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys, here's my dilemma. I've got two pocket folders that don't seem to hold an edge. I know there are knives that'll hold an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket folder.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Pocket folder.

Ok guys, here's my dilemma. I've got two pocket folders that don't seem to hold an edge. I know there are knives that'll hold an edge for more than a week.

I'm not looking to spend more than $50, because I tend to lose them.

What do you recommend???
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I know there are several good brands out there, but I am a fan of Buck knives. I have one that I carry frequently and have even used for whittling. It has held an edge well for me. Hope this helps.

Senior Moderator
    Spyderco Nature - great knife; but I think it's gonna cost more than $50.

Might be cheaper to buy a quality knife and hang on to it.

Exclamation Spyderco Delica

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Spyderco Nature - great knife; but I think it's gonna cost more than $50.

Might be cheaper to buy a quality knife and hang on to it.
    Spyderco Delica = $39.95 I have two and love them both! I prefer the partial serrated.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Here is my pat answer for this.

Trying to tell you everything you could consider is nigh impossible because there is so much out there. At $50 and under there are a lot of fine products and there's also a lot of junk. Knives are so subjective it's tough...

But if you want something nice in the mid price range that won't break the bank, my two standing reccomendations are:

The Spyderco Delica, Native or Endura - the new models especially are nice, and you can get a real good deal on the Native at Wally World of all places. It's normally $65, Wally World has it for $40. The reason I reccommend these three is that most people find their hands fit one of the three very comfortably. I'm an Endura person myself.

Something in the Benchmade Griptilian Series - 550 or 551. These are also real good knives, they're just different. I always list them because people tend to be Spyderco people or Benchmade people.

I'm no kind of expert but I like knives too, and I went through a lot of them before I found the one that made me happy. I wish I'd started with one of these models, because even if you move on it's handy to have a spare for the car, office, etc.

I carry a Colt M4-k. I've had it for about 4 months and it's held a great edge (and it cost just under $50.00).
    Attached Images
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Assistant Administrator
    My Buck Mayo TNT has held an incredible edge - but considering it is a $300 knife I paid $200 for - it is way up there for cost.

I am still planning on a Kirshaw next but Spyderco is looking appealing too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

A Benchmade Mini Griptilian has an awsome blade....and perfect size for pocket clip carry. I never could get a Buck sharpened like I can the Benchmades.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Thanks Guys.

I have one I got for Christmas that's an "Outdoor Life". The lady at Kmart swore it is the company that bought all the plans from Schrade/Old Timer, when they went kaput. I know Old Timer made some hella good knives. This one seems to be CRAP. The knife, I like; the edge, won't stay sharp. I'll give it a little longer. Maybe I can get a real good edge on it and see how long it lasts. Plus, I'm working temporarily at a carpet store and carry a utility knife too, now that's sharp.

I touched a Kershaw at a gun show and nearly peeled my fingerprints off. Man it was SHARP.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I can strongly recommend the Kershaw Leek and Boa. The Boa is generally over $50, but (sometimes) you can find them on ebay, or borad listing for $30-$50.

The Leek is a more "delicate" profile, but up for anything other than serious prying. Wicked , "jabby", point, and makes a great fist-load, for medium sized hands, on the SD side of things.

In the under $50 range I'd look at Buck, Case, Spyderco, Kershaw (Ken Onion models) and the Benchmade "Red" line. For edge holding performance I prefer 154CM or S30V in stainless and M2 for high carbon, heavy use blades - but that usually puts the knife well over the $50 range.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    I'm not looking to spend more than $50, because I tend to lose them. What do you recommend???
    SPYDERCO NATIVE.

I have one Spyderco Delica. I carried it on my climbing harness for many years. It is with me most all the time.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Lots of good suggestions. If you're looking for a knife that's strictly for utility, I'd probably go with a Buck. I've got a couple that have served me very well.
    If you want something that could double as a SD knife, I would recommend the Endura or Delica from Spyderco, or one of the Benchmade Griptillians.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Lead Moderator
    Best cheap /stay sharp knife I have is my Gerber LST . Blade is 600 Steel-? Works bettert han any other knife I have tried. I can skin/gut process a deer with this knife before it goes dull. My Buck skinner doesn't hold an edge as long. Best part is this Gerber has been thru heck and back. i used it fore years working construction. It cost me about $30. I imagine a mini version would cost less.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links