Need help with a new knife for EDC?

This is a discussion on Need help with a new knife for EDC? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive been looking mainly at SOG knives and really like the flash knives, as well as the trident. i just wanted to get opinions and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a new knife for EDC?

Need help with a new knife for EDC?

ive been looking mainly at SOG knives and really like the flash knives, as well as the trident. i just wanted to get opinions and other suggestions. i just want something to carry basically as a utility knife. also, where would be the best place to purchase one? i have been looking at amazon, but would it be cheaper to go to a local gunshop or somewhere else? any and all help is appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

I think that over the years I tried around a dozen or so knives as utility folders. The one I settled on was the Al Mar SERE 2000. You many also want to look into the mini SERE.
    MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - Al Mar SERE 2000 as Utility Folder

while that seems like a very nice knife, it is out of my budget. i should have said something about that in my first post, i would like to spend no more than ~$70-80. i still appreciate the post and will keep that knife in mind for the future, but for now is there anything in my price range that stands out? thanks!
    -C

I just bought two Spyderco Natives (one plain edge and one full SpyderEdge (Serrated)). That were each around $50 from gpknives.com. I received them within 2 days and am very happy with the service and the knives.

From what I've learned when searching for a knife is that many of the name brand ones are very good--but it comes down to personal tastes. Good luck.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Assistant Administrator
    IMO - for value the Kerhaw Scallion is good value. I used to carry a Buck TNT but found that a tad long - the Kershaw is shorter and less of a nuisance when sitting etc and had kept one heck of an edge for ages now. IIRC it was around $50 or so - maybe less - from Wally World!

It sure ain't this clean and shiny any more!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

There are plenty of options out there. My personal favorites are the Spyderco Endura or Delica. Inexpensive and absolutely bulletproof.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by reality99 View Post
    while that seems like a very nice knife, it is out of my budget. i should have said something about that in my first post, i would like to spend no more than ~$70-80. i still appreciate the post and will keep that knife in mind for the future, but for now is there anything in my price range that stands out? thanks!
    -C
    Spyderco Endura would be more in line with your budget needs, (and mine), and is an excellent knife IMO.

gpknives.com

I recently shopped around for a Benchmade 707s, but I ended up waiting and got it for Christmas. The cheapest I found it was gpknives.com. I have heard good things about their customer service, so I would recomend them. Also, before you checkout, google "gpknives.com coupons" or "promotional codes". You may find one for free shipping or 10% off.

Knife recomendation- Gerber mini covert, kershaw leek, or bm707s

thanks everyone for all the suggestions. i currently have the kershaw vapor and am relatively happy with the build quality, the blade just got pretty dull and i have to sharpen it up, but thats to be expected with any knives.
    and i had seen a lot of recommendations for spyderco knives on this website, is there something special about them or are they just really good for the price? thanks again for all the help so far!

Go with a Spyderco and get the ZDP steel. You will not be disappointed!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSire View Post
    I just bought two Spyderco Natives (one plain edge and one full SpyderEdge (Serrated)). That were each around $50 from gpknives.com. I received them within 2 days and am very happy with the service and the knives.

From what I've learned when searching for a knife is that many of the name brand ones are very good--but it comes down to personal tastes. Good luck.

I'd like to pickup a Native also. Wallyworld has them for $39ish in store only. That sounds like a great deal except I can't find one in stock within 20 miles of my house.
    Walmart.com: Spyderco USA Native Knife: Hunting

I called a few stores and they didn't even recognize the number. Looks like I'm off to eBay again.

I have a Kershaw Chive (boron coated handle/DLC coated blade) but want something a little bigger. The Native looks perfect for my needs.
    Last edited by Wasabi; January 8th, 2009 at 04:49 PM.

Yup, I checked my local WW, but they don't stock any of the knives. (roll eyes) It is not available online, so I opted to pay the $8 extra and get it without any more hassle. :) ...plug I knew I also wanted the all black SpyderEdge one, which WW doesn't carry.
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSire View Post
    Yup, I checked my local WW, but they don't stock any of the knives. (roll eyes) It is not available online, so I opted to pay the $8 extra and get it without any more hassle. :) ...plug I knew I also wanted the all black SpyderEdge one, which WW doesn't carry.
    Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards the black serrated edge one myself. Definitely seems more versatile. I think I'm sold on it. Now I just need to find a deal on one.

The best I could find, when considering shipping also, was at gpknives.
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

I'm a fan of the Ken Onion Kershaw knives. I have a Blur and a Scallion (The Blur has a rough texture that's hell on my suit pants so I use the Scallion for those).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links