Review: Benchmade 3300 Infidel OTF Auto

This is a discussion on Review: Benchmade 3300 Infidel OTF Auto within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MSRP: $450 Paid: $250 (PX) One of my friends bought this and had me sharpen it for him. This is Benchmade's first and only OTF ...

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

MSRP: $450
    Paid: $250 (PX)

One of my friends bought this and had me sharpen it for him. This is Benchmade's first and only OTF released in 2006. The handle felt pretty solid in my hand, giving me a good first impression. Maybe just a tiny bit smaller than I'd like, but not by much. The scales provided good grip both forward and back. I played with the switch, which had nice tension and slid well in the tracks without much play. The blade extends and retracts very quickly, and will not puncture durable cloth if obstructed before full extension. It can puncture thinner cloth, like a pocket lining. Benchade raved about the 3 point retention system for amazing lockup. I was a little disappointed. It had free play both side to side and up and down, which didn't feel like a loose blade, but was enough that I would consider it unacceptable. If you waved the knife in the air, it wasn't that noticeable, but as soon as you start cutting, you feel it. Microtech lockups are much better (and MSRP isn't much more?). The blade is composed of D2 tool steel. It took an edge nicely, but I personally prefer 154CM. It does hold up to the quality of other BM knives. The balance was good, but could have used a little more weight on the blade side, or a little less on the hilt...probably due to the mechanism in the hilt for opening. Wasn't enough to bother me, but it's my review and I can be as picky as I want.

Overall, there isn't much usefulness for the blade, as it is pretty thin and has a small profile. I wouldn't say it's worth the MSRP, or even the paid price. It has some cool factor, but you can get a higher quality OTF in the same price range. I'm usually a big fan of Benchmade, but this one gets a from me.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Interesting that you didn't like it. While I generally don't care for OTF autos, I didn't think the quality was bad at all. I do think the retail price is high, though, but it would seem you got it for a pretty good price for NIB.

I had one not long after they came out & fortunately traded it when they were still valued high. However, I've noticed this is one of those knives whose value really has dropped in the last 6 months or so. I agree the blade's pretty thin & not really that useful, except for stabbing, I guess, but not much else.

Anyways, did yours come with the nylon sheath? Mine did, but I'm not sure if that was a standard thing or not. Also, are you planning on keeping it?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    It did come with the sheath. It's not mine though, my friend lent it to me for a week to sharpen it for him and test it out.

I didn't think it was terrible quality, just that there are better quality OTFs for the same price...so I'd go with one of those instead. The longer I collect knives, the pickier I get.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Links