Review: Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Folder

This is a discussion on Review: Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Folder within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MSRP: $90 Paid: $0 (Permanent Issue) Another one of my recently acquired knives. This one comes in a nylon sheath and has a nice stiff ...

Thread: Review: Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Folder

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

MSRP: $90
    Paid: $0 (Permanent Issue)

Another one of my recently acquired knives. This one comes in a nylon sheath and has a nice stiff belt clip. The scales are textured hard plastic with some grooves running from hilt to tip. I didn't like it much. It gets slippery with wet or sweaty hands, and the only thing saving it is the thumb and index finger grooves. They feel a little cheap and can easily be squeezed with some flex, including the liner. I like a solid handle, and this wasn't it. Opening the blade is smooth, and can be done from completely closed with a good flick of the wrist, the ambidextrous thumb studs, which are stepped and work well even with a sweaty thumb, and the hump for the thumb stud can even be used like the Emerson wave feature (but the clip is tip down carry only). Once open, the liner lock solidly engages the blade with good depth, and has a thumb safety that is in the thumb groove and is pretty much passively engaged by gripping the handle, so you won't end up with an inadvertent release of the lock. The lockup is rock solid. I had absolutely no play in any direction. The balance is also very nice, with the balance point at the rear of the finger and thumb grooves. It's easily maneuvered and feels good. The blade is made of 425 Stainless. It takes an edge very easily, but I think it loses it rather quickly also. The upper bevel can easily be made into a sharpened edge (if legal for you to do so), and the finger ridges make one handed closing and precision work safe even with a sharpened second edge.

Overall, it's a decent knife, with plenty of cutting edge even with the serrations. A little large for EDC, but good for a defensive knife. I really wish they had done a better job with the scales and made an option for tip up carry. I've never been a huge fan of Gerbers blades because I haven't seen one yet that holds an edge for a while, but it's not a top level knife either. It's not a bad value, but I'd try to find one going for $60-70 instead of paying full price. As a utility/EDC, there are better knives out there. As a fighting knife, there will be blood involved, and I don't think the scales are able to handle slickness. Not bad for a dual purpose knife (EDC and defensive) I guess, but there are better ones out there for sure. Not one I would buy, but it was issued, and I'll never turn down a free knife.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Nice write up. Thought about picking one of these up when I was there (they had them in the PX in the IZ), I think selling around $50-$60 if I recall). The tip down carry was the deciding factor against. That and the Cold Steel SRK on the wall next to it for about the same money. I bought and carried the SRK, but obviously one can't compare the two.

Stay safe over there!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links