Review: Gerber 06 Automatic

This is a discussion on Review: Gerber 06 Automatic within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MSRP: $250 Paid: $0 (Permanent Issue) Yet another of my somewhat recent acquisitions. This one feels pretty solid in the hand. It has aluminum scales ...

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

MSRP: $250
    Paid: $0 (Permanent Issue)

Yet another of my somewhat recent acquisitions. This one feels pretty solid in the hand. It has aluminum scales and deep finger grooves, giving it a good grip. Even with wet or sweaty hands, the finger grooves will keep the knife in place. The safety is located right next to the button, and works with the blade open or closed, so you can prevent inadvertently unlocking the blade while working with it. The spring isn't very stiff, and after sampling a bunch of these, some have a nice snappy action, but most come out a little sluggish. Lockup is pretty good, but not as good as my Benchmade OTS autos. It has a slight amount of side to side play which can be noticeable when cutting, and a very slight amount of up and down play, which is unnoticeable. The balance is nice, with the balance point at the rear part of the index finger groove. The blade is S30V steel, takes an edge easily, and seems to hold it pretty well through consistant use. It's the first blade I've really liked from Gerber. It also has a very tall profile, which puts a lot of weight and strength behind the edge. This would probably even be suitable as a folding survival knife. The drop point version has a lot of curving before the blade gets straight. I don't mind this, but I prefer a little more straight edge. There is also a tanto version (which I wish I had, but I was issued this one). The tall profile makes it a little harder to use for precision work, but I still like it. The size is just about perfect. The clip allows for tip up carry only, which works great to get your thumb over the button when drawing from the pocket. It also has a "strike point" on the hilt, which isn't pointy so you don't have to worry about getting poked, but could work well as a glass breaker or as a defensive tool.

Overall, I really like this knife. It can be had for around $170 and for an auto, I would say it's worth the price. It has definitely outdone all the other Gerber knives I've used. The size is acceptable for EDC, and would make a great one if you can use autos in your area. Also not a bad knife to take into the woods with you. This gets a from me.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post

MSRP: $250
    Paid: $0 (Permanent Issue)

Yet another of my somewhat recent acquisitions. This one feels pretty solid in the hand. It has aluminum scales and deep finger grooves, giving it a good grip. Even with wet or sweaty hands, the finger grooves will keep the knife in place. The safety is located right next to the button, and works with the blade open or closed, so you can prevent inadvertently unlocking the blade while working with it. The spring isn't very stiff, and after sampling a bunch of these, some have a nice snappy action, but most come out a little sluggish. Lockup is pretty good, but not as good as my Benchmade OTS autos. It has a slight amount of side to side play which can be noticeable when cutting, and a very slight amount of up and down play, which is unnoticeable. The balance is nice, with the balance point at the rear part of the index finger groove. The blade is S30V steel, takes an edge easily, and seems to hold it pretty well through consistant use. It's the first blade I've really liked from Gerber. It also has a very tall profile, which puts a lot of weight and strength behind the edge. This would probably even be suitable as a folding survival knife. The drop point version has a lot of curving before the blade gets straight. I don't mind this, but I prefer a little more straight edge. There is also a tanto version (which I wish I had, but I was issued this one). The tall profile makes it a little harder to use for precision work, but I still like it. The size is just about perfect. The clip allows for tip up carry only, which works great to get your thumb over the button when drawing from the pocket. It also has a "strike point" on the hilt, which isn't pointy so you don't have to worry about getting poked, but could work well as a glass breaker or as a defensive tool.

Overall, I really like this knife. It can be had for around $170 and for an auto, I would say it's worth the price. It has definitely outdone all the other Gerber knives I've used. The size is acceptable for EDC, and would make a great one if you can use autos in your area. Also not a bad knife to take into the woods with you. This gets a from me.
    I gotta tell you, you guys get issued some cool **** nowdays. When I was in, we couldn't even get issued a Kabar!!!

Enjoy it, and thanks for your service

Semper Fi

Lon

Links