Backup

Backup

This is a discussion on Backup within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have this Switch Blade, but I don't carry it as a backup. It was given to me by a friend of mine who is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup

Backup

I have this Switch Blade, but I don't carry it as a backup. It was given to me by a friend of mine who is a pastor at a biker church.

I carry this as my backup. It's a 38 cal. 2 shot Cobra derringer.

JT
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 21st, 2009 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Removed bold font.

Sweet. Looks good!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

You sure carry a lot of cartridges for that thang. Since it takes so long to reload and cock, you must be counting on a bunch of really slow moving perps!

- OS
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 21st, 2009 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Deleted image, unnecessary.

You might wanta check local laws in some states posession of a switch blade is illegal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    You sure carry a lot of cartridges for that thang. Since it takes so long to reload and cock, you must be counting on a bunch of really slow moving perps!

- OS

It's a back up. I have another gun. And it couldn't be slower than using a knife on a "Bunch of slow moving perps". LOL When I first baught the 38 derringer I also carried a 38 snub nose. My wife carries the 38 snub now and uses the ammo wallet.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You might wanta check local laws in some states posession of a switch blade is illegal

I already doen that. In Wyoming they are Legal to posses, but Illegal to Carry. Here ya go: State Switchblade Laws

JT

If that is the same knife I handled awhile back. Can not recall seems it was a Benchmade maybe a SOG. It is a stiletto not a switch blade meaning the blade comes out the front. But this one is not like the old Italian stilettos that came out with enough force to penetrate soft tissue. The blade felt sloppy. I'd be afraid it might break in a real world CQC. I would not rely on it for anything other than as a novelty item
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    If that is the same knife I handled awhile back. Can not recall seems it was a Benchmade maybe a SOG. It is a stiletto not a switch blade meaning the blade comes out the front. But this one is not like the old Italian stilettos that came out with enough force to penetrate soft tissue. The blade felt sloppy. I'd be afraid it might break in a real world CQC. I would not rely on it for anything other than as a novelty item

I'm sorry but your wrong. It's a front opening switch blade. Switch blade is a term for any auto opening knife.
    A stiletto refers to the shape of the blade, not the way it opens. A long skinny blade, much like a ladies shoe. Check out the Stiletto's on this web site Tinys Automatic Knives Switchblades -Automatic Knives Switchblades , you'll see what I mean. You can also look up the term switch blade in the dictionary and the term Stiletto.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by JTWY View Post
    I'm sorry but your wrong. It's a front opening switch blade. Switch blade is a term for any auto opening knife.
    A stiletto refers to the shape of the blade, not the way it opens. A long skinny blade, much like a ladies shoe. Check out the Stiletto's on this web site Tinys Automatic Knives Switchblades -Automatic Knives Switchblades , you'll see what I mean. You can also look up the term switch blade in the dictionary and the term Stiletto.

JT
    Italian stiletto where the word came from refers to a long thin dagger a stabbing weapon that became popular during the Renaissance. It may be either a thin flat pointed blade like a dagger or a spike / ice pick style blade. Arguably stiletto is the Italian word for dagger. Stiletto refers to function not just form, a knife capable of penetrating chain mail or armor. A more modern version would be the U.S. Marine Raider Stiletto pictured below.

Of course you could be right, the US Marines did not know anything about weapons when they named the "U.S. Marine Raider Stiletto"

Stiletto later came into common usage in Italy in reference to front opening knives due to their blade shapes. I had a few back in the 70's when I was a kid and thought those kinds of gadgets were cool. I've kept one from my gramps in Naples.

You may want check your facts and rely on real life experience and not believe everything you read on the internet. If you are going to depend on the internet for your information I suggest you verify rather than believe what you read on any one source

Read my post I said IF it is the same knife I had handled awhile back a SOG or Benchmade it is a stiletto. Apparently it is not. Just a cheap knock off made to look like a Benchmade or SOG
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Whether prohibited by the letter of the law or not, if carry a dirk/dagger/double edged blade or switchblade/automatic you may run into some problems.

how you like that cobray I've been thinking about getting a 45l/c one

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post

You may want check your facts and rely on real life experience and not believe everything you read on the internet. If you are going to depend on the internet for your information I suggest you verify rather than believe what you read on any one source
    I got my facts right. I not only looked them up on several knife web sites, but also in the Webster's Dictionary.
    Maybe it's your source that is wrong.

Taken from: Random House Westers Concise Dictionary

Switch Blade:

A pocket knife with a blade held and released by a spring.

Stiletto:

A short dagger with a slender blade.

Feel free to look them up yourself.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Whether prohibited by the letter of the law or not, if carry a dirk/dagger/double edged blade or switchblade/automatic you may run into some problems.

I don't carry it, it was given to me and I thaught I'd share a picture of it. I don't even use the knife, it just sits in my table next to my chair.
    For a cheap switch blade it's very solid. The blade is not sloppy at all and the sping is very strong.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by medic0079 View Post
    how you like that cobray I've been thinking about getting a 45l/c one

To tell you the truth, I've never shot it. But my friend Andy has the same exact Cobra as mine in the same Caliber ( .38 ) and I've shot his. It's not a bad little gun for the money.
    I just carry mine as a back up and I consider it to be a very close range gun. I'm sure there are people out there who can shoot pretty far with it, but I can't.
    I've seen Bob Munden shoot a ballon at 200 yards with a 38 snub nose. That guy is one heck of a shot.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by JTWY View Post
    To tell you the truth, I've never shot it. But my friend Andy has the same exact Cobra as mine in the same Caliber ( .38 ) and I've shot his. It's not a bad little gun for the money.
    Hmm...I have one in .38.
    It's heavy, crudely made, expensive for what it is, dangerous (to owner), slow to cock and deploy, and of course slower still to reload and deploy, and has a 43.4 lb. trigger pull. Other than that it's a fine weapon.

- OS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links