Fixed or folder

This is a discussion on Fixed or folder within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested to know what your primary defensive blade is, fixed or folder? Looking at your EDC, what knife would you consider your primary ...

View Poll Results: Is your priimary defensive edged weapon a folder or fixed blade?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fixed

11 11.00%
  • Folder

89 89.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed or folder

Fixed or folder

I am interested to know what your primary defensive blade is, fixed or folder? Looking at your EDC, what knife would you consider your primary defensive blade. Not what you would carry if you knew you were going to use it but rather what you EDC. Please vote.- George

2. Remove Ads

I own plenty of both......including a really sweet Bud Nealy, but the one that ends up in my pocket nearly every minute of every day is my trusty old first generation delica.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I tend to have both on me all the time . the folder is the work blade. but i voted for the Fixed

JD
    Administrator
    Currently my primary knife is a folder, either a Spyderco Waved Endura or a SOG Spec Elite 1.

As soon as my new sheath from On Scene comes in, I will probably be carrying my CRKT ABC which is a fixed blade as primary until I decide on it's replacement.

So far the two front runners are a SOG Seal Pup or a Benchmade Fixed Griptilian

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Gerber Paraframe as my EDC plus I have a Ka-Bar TDI LDK fixed behind my belt buckle.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Cold Steel SafeKeeper III (push-dagger) carried at 11:00. Since I carry my pistol A-IWB, my draw-stroke is pretty much the same with either hand...gun with the right, knife with the left.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

i normally carry a folder. i know, i know, fixed blades are better, but it's hard to find a fixed blade i can actually carry daily.

well, i carry a HAK daily, does that count as a fixed blade?

I usually carry my Spyderco Endura and so voted "Folder". Less frequently carried are my Short K-Bar and my old Gerber Mark I, fixed blade knives.

Spyderco Delica 4. Clipped right side pocket (lefty, gun resides at 10:30).
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

SOG Pentagon Elite folder.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Folder, pocket clip, Benchmade AFCK. Ease of carry and overall utility would be the points I was looking for.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I voted fixed since that's my primary. I carry both at the same time though. Fixed TDI and one of several folders.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I carry a folder but I would much rather use a fixed blade knife. Still shopping around for one I like.

So far the poll is showing what I have found doing the same poll in other places. Around 80% of folks say that even though they sometimes carry a fixed blade they carry a folder all the time.

Traveling around I have found that carrying a sub 4 inch folder will keep you within the confines of the law in most places. Everyone one knows the old adage of "fixed in a fight" but the reality is that if you knew you were going to be in a fight you would just not show up, and if you had to you would bring a gun.

When I teach IET classes we use the the Spyderco Endura trainers since they are a make a great trainer and live blade. Forcing student to manipulate the folder is an easy way to add stress and show the deterioration of fine and complex motor skills under stress. Once they learn using a folder, moving to a fixed blade is a much easier. Plus they have confidence in something they can have with them in most environments.

Fixed blades are great but the biggest issue is that whether they are production or custom too many of their sheaths are great carry options but poor deployment options. Best to find what works for you needs based on lifestyle, body style and wardrobe and have some custom kydex made.

I don't really think of it as a defensive knife since being left handed with with a right handed folder makes it difficult to open quickly one handed without chopping off the tip of my own finger. though I wouldn't hesitate to stab someone in the neck with it if I got the chance and they were, say sitting on my chest and knocking my teeth down my throat and I couldn't get them off me..

right.. there I go rambling again.. Its a Buck 110 folder, Id prefer to carry a fixed blade but carrying one concealed if I was ever caught by a LEO id be in just as much trouble as if I was concealing a firearm without a permit. Open carrying a fixed is fine legally but I tend to be the only person in the room who cares about self defense so you can imagine how it would go if I had a big kabar strapped to my belt openly, whether I intended it to be a weapon or not id probably regularly have the police called on me for being a "paranoid psycho walking around with a big scary knife"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links