I got me a new Folding Knife

This is a discussion on I got me a new Folding Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Cold Steel Recon 1 just arrived. Got it for $75 as their monthly special. Awsome knife, gonna have to cut some water bottles and ...

Thread: I got me a new Folding Knife

My Cold Steel Recon 1 just arrived. Got it for $75 as their monthly special. Awsome knife, gonna have to cut some water bottles and coke cans in half.

Nice, don't order from Cold Steel or Special Projects (too expensive). Find an online knife shop, it will save you quite a bit. Nice pocket chainsaw!!!
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

VERY nice looking blade... congrats.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    If you hold the lock button back on that beauty, you can flip the blade out with a quick flip of the wrist! Great knife.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As getting the best price is concerned, I happen to like the SOG Flash II, which usually runs around $60. But I go on EBAY, and frequently pick one up for $35, with very low shipping. I've bought several this way.

Nice!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Exactly what I carry...with a few others, and yeah, I got it on eBay for fifty something plus shipping...I see they've gone up a little there, but several in the $60's.

good choice
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have the Recon 1 as pictured closest above. I love it. If there were anything I could change about it, I would make it lighter and thinner. It comes sharp and is pretty easy to keep that way. It has a nice easy deployment, that needs just a little snap to open it up. And when it's open, it's staying that way. It is being replaced by a Spyderco Endura Wave as my primary right side knife, merely because the Wave is faster. It will make an excellent utility knife though, replacing my Kershaw Blur.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

straight edge

Nice knife, I love knives and have many. Please consider getting it in a straight edge. If you are ever in front of a jury the serrated edge may work against you as they are very impressionable and may see it as a scary looking weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by dignzepln View Post
    Nice knife, I love knives and have many. Please consider getting it in a straight edge. If you are ever in front of a jury the serrated edge may work against you as they are very impressionable and may see it as a scary looking weapon.
    Well, can carry the 4" blade without a permit in TN, but need permit to carry gun -- now, they are both considered deadly weapons, but thinking that knife is probably thought of as less deadly. I mean, after all, I could have SHOT him, but showed a lot of restraint, right? Serrated or not.

Serrated is good for seatbelts and whatnot. Rescue knives are generally serrated. It's a rescue knife, in more ways than one!

- OS

Well that looks like a nice blade. I've got Cold Steel fixed blade, and it's a good performer. On the serrations, you may be more likely to need a knife to cut seatbelts in a wreck, pantlegs in an escalator, or rope in a barn to save a life than defending your life. Consider this side of the coin, too.
    Still Clingin'

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If you hold the lock button back on that beauty, you can flip the blade out with a quick flip of the wrist! Great knife.
    More important in my mind, closes the same way, one handed, so if you are holding something, knife goes away click and pocket.

The knife I carry, a Benchmade, it says Made By McHenry and Williams on the blade, I have two, one half serrated in black, one not, white steel.

Both a tiny fraction under 4"

They cost a lot more than $60! each.

If my straight edge Kershaw won't cut a seatbelt, I'll throw it away...

I have had two cold steel recon 1 tantos before. The first one's blade began to wobble after i walked around the house flicking it 24/7....... The locking mechanism rubbed away some of the steel inside the lock and it began to wobble. I sent it back and got a new one, but i lost it playing paintball about 3 weeks ago. So over all it's a good knife but a little large. The way it clips in your pocket leaves alot for people to see, which is favorable in some situations but not in others.

P.S. it does hack through ropes and cans easily but if you get you thumb in the way, (like i did) you will sufer. The teflon makes it slide through stuff easily. It's so cool.

Sponsored Links