Mini Pika: How easy to open?

This is a discussion on Mini Pika: How easy to open? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the mini pika for EDC after reading through some of the posts. However, when I tried to open it, the action was stiff. ...

Thread: Mini Pika: How easy to open?

I got the mini pika for EDC after reading through some of the posts.

However, when I tried to open it, the action was stiff. After making some calls to benchmade and my local gun shop, I put a couple drops of oil on the pivot screw after I loosened up the p.s.

However, I still have to give the knife a fairly forceful and noticeable snap with the wrist to open it one-handed.

Does this matter? My impression is that swiftness and stealth do matter.

Will the blade get easier to open over time?

Thanks for any advice. Any specific knowledge re the mp would be most appreciated.

Is the knife for self defense or utility use? On the bottom of our lesson plans when teaching folder it says in bold type NO INERTIA OPENINGS. They require more room than a thumb opening and we have found them to have a high failure rate under stress. For utility purposes, don't worry about it, the knife will loosen up.

For self defense.

I'm trying a method where I put my forefinger on the top of the knife for leverage, then rotating the blade out, into locked pos'n with the thumbhole. However, that leaves me with a less than desireably secure grip and it's still agravatingly slow compared to other lock/opening methods.

So, does this not really matter, is it fast enough/enough of a grip, or should I sell this and get another style of lock that will allow me to open the blade quicker and with less force?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Is the knife for self defense or utility use? On the bottom of our lesson plans when teaching folder it says in bold type NO INERTIA OPENINGS. They require more room than a thumb opening and we have found them to have a high failure rate under stress. For utility purposes, don't worry about it, the knife will loosen up.

I have a whole list of MCS approved Primary Defensive Knives. Here is what we advocate-
    Quality production or custom folder
    Tip down, pocket clip carry
    Has hole, stud, or disk on the blade for opening
    No knives with Waved knives, no autos /assisted openers

The most general advise I give is to get a Spyderco Endura and the trainer. If you are serious about using a knife for SD you need a training knife and training.

Here is the problem with inertia openings. Even when done without stress they usually are done with your hand out to the side of off your center line. The farther from your center line your hands are the easier you are to attack and have your knife defended against. There are only three ways to know if your knife is opened, you can hear it, which is unlikely under stress. You can can see it, which depending on where your hand is requires you to take your focus off your threat. The last way is to feel it, the bad way is feel it as it closes across the back of your fingers because it failed to lock. The good way is as you cut your attacker. Opening it every time with your thumb leads to more consistent opening.

Thanks, mercop.

I guess from what you're saying is that I should probably keep the mini-pika, see if I can get a trainer from benchmade, and sell my sog tanto and sog flash 1? The delica was my second choice- just didn't like the looks vs the mini-pika. In IL, to be legal, blades have to be less than three inches.

For the mini-pika, the clip comes in the tip-up (edited) position, which I kind of like b/c, I can draw it faster as a percussion tool in that position, initially. Is this bass-ackwards? Should I just carry a flashlight/kubaton and use that first in the force continuum, or use the knife for double duty, escalating to the blade if I have to?

We work with knives in the systema class, it's one of the foci, but I'm not sure how extensive the offensive training is, compared with a dedicated knife course. I'll ask the instructor and depending on his answer and how the class goes over the next month, maybe I'll sign up for some dedicated knife classes outside of systema. Are there videos or books that you would recommend?

As of yet I am not a paying advertised here so you can e-mail me for some info. We always advocate having in impact weapon such as a pen, Kubaton or flashlight in your hand to use as a bridging / transition tool. Bridging is moving your location out of a situation or to the outside of your attacker to use the impact weapon to end the situation when it is your only tool or the one that is legally justified. Transition is just that, it allows you to launch an initial counter attack and upgrade to another mechanical or deadly force option.

We teach that deploying the knife from the pocket and the blade from the knife are two separate things and when you try to do them at the the same time something is likely to fail. The folder drawn closed can be used as in impact weapon when you do not have the time and space to deploy the blade or based on the totality of circumstances deadly force is no longer required.

Sponsored Links