5 stitches from my Spyderco - Page 3

5 stitches from my Spyderco

This is a discussion on 5 stitches from my Spyderco within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got to be tough when you are dumb... I been told that before......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5 stitches from my Spyderco

Got to be tough when you are dumb...

I been told that before...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Padawan View Post
    WOW. Several of you are awfully serious about his friend.
    I am 44 and got cut (6 stitches) fooling around with my knife (also a spiderco)about 6 months ago. No biggie, two men acting like boys. My buddy felt really bad about it. It wasn’t his fault, it was our fault. Take a breath for gosh sakes, not everything is a confrontation.

That said, I bet you leave you hands off of his cookies in the future.
    Because it is serious. Whether joking around with friends or not, you have to wonder about the general thought processes of a person that tries to grab at weapons attached to another person. I tend to try not to associate myself with those types of people these days and suggest the same for others. They're not mature enough or have enough "smarts" to be allowed to waste my precious time on this little floating hunk of rock and potentially get me dead.

...Birds of a feather and all.

edit: If the op makes it clear to his "friends" that this type of behavior is bad and why, and it's clear that his friends understand this concept they may be worth keeping, but something similar were to happen again...I'd be disassociating with them.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

On a funny note- I'm the one that brought the cookies to the party- and there were plenty left....

But yeah the more I think about it the stupider I think my friend was. I just can't get over how dumb is was that he grabbed my knife- even if it wasn't the type to automatically open you don't grab someone's knife!
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Did you get cut by serrations or just a plain edge?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

i think maybe both as it is a combo blade...
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

I think there were a couple of lessons learned for you and your friend.

Keep your wound clean and dry, and pop some Tylenol for pain. I would immobilize the finger if I were you to get it to heal faster.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I walk away and he follows me. He grabs my Spyderco Endura Emerson Wave which was clipped in my pants pocket.
    I would sit my "friend" down and "suggest" to him that he is, indeed, beyond normal stupidity to grab at a knife (any knife). He should learn to keep his hands to himself (a normal lesson taught to a 6 year old) and if he can't to that say sayonara to a friendship. If he doesn't receive that well then kiss the friendship goodbye.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    I would sit my "friend" down and "suggest" to him that he is, indeed, beyond normal stupidity to grab at a knife (any knife). He should learn to keep his hands to himself (a normal lesson taught to a 6 year old) and if he can't to that say sayonara to a friendship. If he doesn't receive that well then kiss the friendship goodbye.
    dang, you sure are rough on friends. I'm sure his friend feels bad enough as it is, and that is a lesson learned in itself. "Boys will be boys" and I have always rough housed around with father, brother, and friends, still do sometimes. Not everyone has "perfect" friends that think of every possible issue that could happen, nor am I "perfect" in that respect. And to think you would put a friendship on the line over a rough housing incident is kind of sad, at least to me. To shield yourself from any possible harm, from every possible person in your life would leave someone very lonely.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Boys will be boys.......knife grabbing, cup checking, cock blocking, tea bagging are all part of the territory in my opinion. Some of you guys need to lighten up a little.

#1 - now you know your knife works, and works well. imagine what it could do defensively?

#2 - your friend feels badly about your hand. i know i would. stuff happens.

#3 - when hanging out with friends, leave the knife, have a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by mhm2a View Post
    Boys will be boys.......knife grabbing, cup checking, cock blocking, tea bagging are all part of the territory in my opinion.
    I disagree...grabbing a knife is NOT part of the territory. My brother and I , and other friends, have rough-housed around quite a bit. A few bruises, some blood, elbows through walls, etc. But a knife is not a toy and was never part of the action. There is a line that his friend crossed. If he can't be mature enough to recognize the line, he needs a new friend.

OK so now EVERYONE (friends and family that heard the story) is giving me a hard time about carrying this knife and is pressuring me to at least go back to my standard Spyderco w/out the wave opener. Should I stand my ground or cave in....
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    OK so now EVERYONE (friends and family that heard the story) is giving me a hard time about carrying this knife and is pressuring me to at least go back to my standard Spyderco w/out the wave opener. Should I stand my ground or cave in....
    well, what is your gut instinct. The only thing I can see to think about is what if that had actually been a BG, at least with a regular knife you have a split second or so to grab the knife or his hand.

I have to say though, people on here should stop telling you what to do with your personal life and stick to talking about the knife itself like your original post asked.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Administrator
    Who did your stitches? He/she did not do a very neat or professional job.

In that location on your finger you should have had more than 5 and they should have been spaced much closer together.

Just my not so humble opinion on that.

a doctor in the ER did it- but it was in a small town and she looked like she was like 25... It took her 45 min to do it cause it wouldn't stop bleeding

here is an updated picture:

[IMG][/IMG]
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links