5 stitches from my Spyderco - Page 4

5 stitches from my Spyderco

This is a discussion on 5 stitches from my Spyderco within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mhm2a Boys will be boys.......knife grabbing, cup checking, cock blocking, tea bagging are all part of the territory in my opinion. Some ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mhm2a View Post
    Boys will be boys.......knife grabbing, cup checking, cock blocking, tea bagging are all part of the territory in my opinion. Some of you guys need to lighten up a little.
    Long time ago, when I was younger a guy grabbed my weak side weapon, he got mule kicked his knee cap broke before I even saw who it was. Thankfully people saw him grab at my knife. He is lucky to have not been shot. It almost sounded like he did. About the time LEO showed up the shock was wearing off, at first I thought he was faking the crying. We were not friends after that kind of lost respect for him due to all the girly man crying

FWI For the clarity sake I was cleared this happened over twenty years ago all the statutes have run out but it can happen today and it would be a good shoot. Grabbing peoples weapons can get you killed. So lighten up on the friends if you wish but if they grab the wrong weapon and die whose fault is it?

NRATodd who is responsible for your safety and well being? That is the only person that should be able to have a say about what you do or do not carry for defense. IMO
    Last edited by LongRider; January 29th, 2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Correction change alnitak to NRATodd
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    OK so now EVERYONE (friends and family that heard the story) is giving me a hard time about carrying this knife and is pressuring me to at least go back to my standard Spyderco w/out the wave opener. Should I stand my ground or cave in....
    Why should you? So they can and try to pick your knife out of your pocket more safely? How about they instead keep their hands to themselves, like they teach in pre-school for pete's sake. You should keep the knife. It worked as intended and you have shed blood for it. It's wed to you now. It's a darn good knife too. I carry the same one. None of them got cut, I don't know what they are whining about. If you all must horseplay then make it a rule that you divest yourselves of your weapons beforehand.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

OK so now EVERYONE (friends and family that heard the story) is giving me a hard time about carrying this knife and is pressuring me to at least go back to my standard Spyderco w/out the wave opener. Should I stand my ground or cave in....
    keep the knife. it's obviously a good cutter; why switch now that you know it works?

Member Array carry for protection's Avatar
    I just showed both pictures to my young kids. We live on a farm and none of us is ever without a knife. I'm always on them about being careful. These photos just drove that concern home.

The finger looks really sore and as of now looks like it will leave a scar.

Keep the knife...you've earned it.

BTW it could have been alot worst an example is here from an Outcast review and a link to the pic here for those that want to see with out turning this into a knife wounds thread. One moment of carelessness is all it takes. Knives are sharp they cut and stab they are not toys to be played with or taken lightly.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    Why should you? So they can and try to pick your knife out of your pocket more safely? How about they instead keep their hands to themselves, like they teach in pre-school for pete's sake. You should keep the knife. It worked as intended and you have shed blood for it. It's wed to you now. It's a darn good knife too. I carry the same one. None of them got cut, I don't know what they are whining about. If you all must horseplay then make it a rule that you divest yourselves of your weapons beforehand.
    +1. I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
    Come on guys, it was probably an accident from screwing around with buddies.
    There are no "accidents," only varying degrees of stupidity.

1) If someone is grabbing your weapon, and is that close, you probably should be attacking their face, rather than "grabbing for IT."

2) Someone grabbing your body is not a "friend," they want to bleed. Let them. I had 1 "friend" in highschool try something like this- no one else ever has.

3) If you're old enough to be carrying dangerous weapons, you're too old for grab-ass. Some cops have gunshot wounds to prove this. Many are ex-cops, though sadly, not all are.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    1. Friend should've had his own knife. And he should know you don't go grabbing a weapon over a cookie! And you definitely, never ever, grab someone else's weapon unless real combat is your intent.

2. You should have had your own cookie. And you should know you don't go grabbing a cookie out of someone elses hand!

Good lessons learned here. Spyderco's work (I carry an Endura, most every day, fully serrated, no wave).
    I don't like the wave. I can open it when I want very quickly and easily. But that's personal preference.

Carry the knife you want to carry. But be advised, if others can see it, it may be subject to a grab attempt by others with more menacing intent than just horsing around.

It is easy to be distracted. Sometimes by something as simple as a cookie!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Did the knife fail in some way? If you like it then carry it, if they don’t like it then they shouldn’t carry it.

Several people have commented on your friend grabbing your “weapon”. He didn’t. A pocket knife is a tool. It is generally used to cut stuff on a daily basis. It can be pressed into service as a weapon, but the general intent of carry (at least with guys that carry guns) is for general cutting.
    One could try to generalize a gun in this fashion, but we carry a handgun for defense. It is seldom put into action for any other thing.
    For all of those serious types out there, I guess it was a good thing you took the cut. It was an excellent use of weapons retention. Any knife fight you walk away from with just a few stitches is a good one.
    Congratulations for having the mental discipline to block the grab, access the situation and choose to not draw and fire your primary weapon. Good target identification.

jim
    Just carry the damn thing. I've cut myself a few times with my Spyderco Eviscerator (O.K., it's a Salsa. Don't laugh...thing's sharp). My wife said it's why God didn't put any major arteries in a guy's fingers.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Well, there is an old saying that it isn't your knife until your have drawn your own blood with it. It think it's safe to say that you can claim total ownership of that blade.
    Hear, hear!

I can't count the number of times my knives have tagged me. Comes mostly from learning my way around new ones or just accidentally when working with them (comes with the territory: slick and/or wet hands holding a knife cutting on slick and/or wet surfaces).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

1) I think you got an unexpected test of whether you should be carrying this type of knife and I think the the answer is obvious. If this wasn't a friend but instead someone you were in a serious altercation they would have taken you out of the fight by simply grabbing your knife.

2) If you are carrying weapons of this type then you have no business initiating this kind of horse-play.

3) Your friend was probably trying to take something of yours to exchange for the cookie. He grabbed for the item that was most obvious and easiest to grab (should your defensive knife fit that description?) I don't believe that your friend would have been stupid enough to try to grab your gun if that had been most visible since everyone knows guns are serious weapons and off-limits from this kind of kidding. Most people view pocket knives not as uber tactical defensive weapons but as a simple tool carried for convenience so I can see where your friend would grab it. It also highlights the problem with clip knives. They are easy for you to grab but also easy for everyone else to grab. At the very least you should reconsider where you are carrying it. Maybe time to put it IWB with the clip under the belt.

4) What kind of friend steals another friend's cookie out of his hand? Once you are carrying deadly weapons you are past the point where you can engage in this type of juvenile behavior.

5) Your friend probably feels bad about what happened. One minute he's happily enjoying a cookie and the next your bleeding. The entire thing is your fault for acting like an 8 year old to begin with. There are all these people here saying you should get a new friend because this one grabbed for your knife. I would turn that around and say your friend should be thinking about if he wants to hang out with someone who carries dangerous items and behaves like a child. Luckily your actions only hurt you this time.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

+1 on the WE4. I carry one from time to time, because it is a fast opening TOOL.

I gotta say that not reacting like this guy takes TRAINING...that being said, grab a Trainer and then let your buddy "goof off" and practice, practice, then practice some more. BTW, Trainer knife tips, even though dulled, hurt like hell. (Ya know what they say about "paybacks"...)

God bless and take care!

Wuchak-

I behave like an 8 year old child for "stealing" my friends cookie??? Well sorry for being only 36 and not 106 like you are acting. Don't you ever have any fun with your friends? How can I live my life my life in fear of what my friends will do to me if I have a little fun? Are you telling me no one who carries a knife should ever "mess" with their friends? That's TOTALLY unrealistic!

Of course knives are serious business but just because I carry one doesn't mean I can never have fun. My friend should have known you never grab someone's knife- period.
    Last edited by NRATodd; February 3rd, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links