5 stitches from my Spyderco

This is a discussion on 5 stitches from my Spyderco within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aloha NRATodd, Breath in...breath out...breath in...breath out. LOL!!! NRATodd, a lot of views here are from the tactically minded point. What's done is done, now ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 5 stitches from my Spyderco

Aloha NRATodd,

Breath in...breath out...breath in...breath out. LOL!!!

NRATodd, a lot of views here are from the tactically minded point. What's done is done, now just learn from it. (*Ahem*...get a Trainer!!!) Believe it or not, I think folks here care about what happened to you, and as I did, I went beyond the cut on the finger scenario: What IF, you managed to grab his hand that held the open knife, friend proceeds not to give it up, tries pulling away, you now have a tow handed grip on the knife hand/arm, movement occurs as you try to retrieve your WE4...OOPS...both fall and you end up with the knife in your gut. What IF, you manage to garb friend's wrist that held the WE4, he pulls out of your grip with a violent jerk, thus cutting the face of another friend watching the hijinks...What IF...

Ahhhh, you get the message. Sorry, but I always do a lot of what if thinking. :-)

ANYWAY, KEEP carrying that WE4, it's a good knife no matter HOW MUCH pressure is on you. I bet they had no idea the knife opened in such a manner.

Also, I am serious about a Trainer. It does not have to be a WE4 Trainer, but dull out a cheapo folder and train with that friend of yours.

Finally, since you wounded your right hand, now you can experiment carrying that WE4 in your LFP and practice drawing in it into a standard reverse grip!!! That's ALWAYS fun to do!!!

God bless and again, take care.

2. Remove Ads

Excellent reading . . . but I still don't know what kind of cookie!

The cookie in question was a Singoalla. It is rich pastry cookie filled with raspberry goodness. They are made in Sweden but can be bought at IKEA. I used to live in Sweden and they are one of my favorites.

HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

my friends do not grab my pockets--male or female.

Todd I said some of the same things to you about your part in this injury that you have not addressed and that it is a bit disconcerting. Because it means that this or worst could happen again until you learn the lesson. No one is trying to beat you up, you are a young man I for one would like to see you make it to 106 or more. You are already hurt no one wants to make it worst for you. Every one seems to have shown genuine concern and empathy for you. Every opinion I've read was to assist you in keeping this or worst from happening again. We've all made mistakes and have learned from them and try to pass that on when we can. So please understand that when someone is passing on an opinion in all likelihood we learned the lesson by making a mistake or from someone else who made a mistake for us. Sometimes the truth hurts

None of this is said to demean or insult you. We all screw up I have done much worst and posted it here on the board in hopes that other would learn from my mistake. That really is what this board is about to help each other learn The thing is in order for me to learn I must look at my part I must accept the fact that "I" screwed up. In order to grow and benefit from my mistakes I have to look at myself and not point fingers at anyone else. Yes as everyone has said your friend acted poorly no if ands or buts about that. The fact remains the responsibility is yours.

The fact is that you decided to act like a responsible adult and take responsibility for your own well being and safety. You accepted the responsibility of carrying a deadly weapon. A weapon capable of taking a human life. You and only you are responsible for that weapon no one else.

If some one takes my weapon and kills or hurts me with it it is my fault, no one else's
    If some one takes my weapon and kills or hurts themselves or someone else with it it is my fault, no one else's. I and no one else decided to accept responsibility for my having a deadly weapon on me.

I need to be situationally aware never ever can I allow myself to be on white and allow anyone to grab my weapon. Not even my wife the person I trust most on this planet can come up on me without me knowing it. No one should ever be able to take a weapon away from you not ever. If they can something is wrong your situational awareness or your method of carry. Figure out which and fix it.

It is my responsibility to associate only with mature adults that know and respect boundaries. When I meet someone who does not respect other peoples boundaries it is my job to inform them of mine and enforce them if need be or eliminate that person from my life. Those few people who are my friends know that the instant they touch my weapons without my explicit consent they cease being my friend and become my mortal enemy. PERIOD no if ands or buts not ever

You asked
    How can I live my life my life in fear of what my friends will do to me if I have a little fun? Are you telling me no one who carries a knife should ever "mess" with their friends?
    The answer is YES no one that has a weapon should ever play in any way that the weapon can become involved. I do not ever play act the fool, clown around or party in anyway that a weapon can come into play not ever. I do however often act the fool, clown around and party. We have friends over often we go on rides, BBQ hang out and goof off. Sometimes folks come out we hang out often going down to my little range and spend the after noon blowing the crap out of whatever. Other times we will party and folks camp out here. Some people get rip roaring drunk everyone clowns around, plays foot ball, basket ball, mates and goofs off. Those days the guns get put away. NO one is allowed to attend with a gun in their possession, all guns are in my custody for the duration. Knives are kept but everyone knows they are not toys, you do not touch anyones knife without permission they do not come out ever except to cut a steak or tent peg. My house my way or the highway. Point is you can live your life enjoy it but do so responsibly how you work that out is up to you. The bottom line is it is your responsibility to assure that your weapon is never ever taken from you for any reason. If it does there is only one person at fault and it is not the idiot that grabbed it. If you can not accept that. If you are unable to guarantee that no one will ever get your weapon without you express consent. Than maybe your family and friends are right maybe you should not carry a deadly weapon.

Hopefully, you take this in the spirit it was intended, just as I believe the other posts were intended. We just don't want to see you or anyone else get hurt again for no good reason.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    If some one takes my weapon and kills or hurts me with it it is my fault, no one else's
    If some one takes my weapon and kills or hurts themselves or someone else with it it is my fault, no one else's. I and no one else decided to accept responsibility for my having a deadly weapon on me.
    You are kind of going against yourself. You are saying people need to take responsibility for their actions...unless they take something. By saying this, you are saying that if someone steals your gun and kills a loved one, it's not their fault.

I don't think this is what you mean, or I would hope not anyway, but in my opinion this discussion has gotten way to detailed and "what if-ed." If we over analyze every single action we take, everyday...well, I won't have time for anything else.

Should we reflect on our decisions, sure how else are we to learn? But this discussion has gotten as far down to he deserved to get cut because he jokingly took a cookie. What if he had made a "your momma joke?" Would that make it his fault?

As far as the friend goes, yeah, it was his fault for grabbing a knife(in my opinion). But sh*& happens. Does this excuse it? No, but take it with a grain of salt. At this point I feel like we are
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member
    Good thing he didn't grab your gun! I hear that takes a lot more stitches!

Nothing wrong with the knife. Crap happens! I'm sure you learned from the experience.

Those must have been some cookies!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    By saying this, you are saying that if someone steals your gun and kills a loved one, it's not their fault.
    No of course it is the killers fault, I never said other wise. I said I too would be at fault. The fact is if I carry a deadly weapon with such a degree of negligence, irresponsibility and disregard for the safety of others that I allow it to be used to kill a loved one. I am 100% at fault. My point is and was that in order to learn anything I need to be accountable for my own actions, not play the blame game. I must accept responsibility. If I don't innocent people can get killed.

This is not a what if. The OP got cut. He never should have been injured. It was and is avoidable. Yes his friend was 100% out of pocket no doubt about that. He did however prove a point anyone at any time can act like an idiot. Neither you, the OP nor I can control what other people do. We can control what we do. The scenario that he got cut could have been avoided. That is what I do as I said before.
    I select mature friends.
    I maintain control of my weapons at all time.
    I stay aware of space violations, no one gets close enough to take my weapon i.e. I stay situationally aware.
    I do not engage in play where a weapon can come into play for any reason. If I play grab ass or am in an environment that that is likely I put the weapons away.

Back to you statement IMO if you carry a deadly weapon you are responsible for every cut stab or shot taken with it whether or not you are pulling the trigger or doing the cutting.

Here is a well written articulate article on topic Can You Be to Prepared

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Don't want to hijack this thread but felt obligated to post after reading yours. I had an extremely similar incident last year with the exact same knife (plain edge though). I was talking with a group of friends and of course the idiot to my right decided to see what was clipped on my pocket. Unfortunately it was only someone I casually knew and thus they didn't realize I carried a knife around. Like you I responded once I felt the knife being removed from my pocket but suffice it to say I was a little late and at that point my fingers were already bleeding. 19 stitches and one surgery later, along with 4 months or so of recovery, my partial tendon cut and two severed nerves are almost back to 100%. Of course like any nerve damage I suspect full recovery will never occur but I am more than thankful for having all of my fingers still. (Edit to add: Pictures available upon request but most will have a pretty good sense based upon photo posted earlier in thread)

In regards to your comment about using the knife at this point I have still not resolved that debate for myself. Due to my situation I decided until I had full use of my hand it was best not to carry a knife. Now that my nerves are much closer to 100% I am approaching decision time on what I should carry. I feel the knife has proved itself but at the same time question the wave feature now. Sure, it is a great feature but as we have both found out there are some drawbacks. I suspect I will keep it for chores but will be in the market for a non-waved knife. Interested to hear what you have thought/decided upon...

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    The cookie in question was a Singoalla. It is rich pastry cookie filled with raspberry goodness. They are made in Sweden but can be bought at IKEA. I used to live in Sweden and they are one of my favorites.

I can understand now why your grabbing of a cookie caused this chain of events. I can't say I'd be stupid enough to grab your knife, but we'd definitely have words over you stealing one of those cookies from me.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

OK this will be my last post on the subject. I have decided not carry this knife anymore... Carrying that way just made too many of my friends nervous. The reality is I can flick open my normal Spyderco almost as quickly... (I have switched the clip though so it's blade down so it won't engage when I draw it- but it will be my backup knife)
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    OK this will be my last post on the subject. I have decided not carry this knife anymore... Carrying that way just made too many of my friends nervous. The reality is I can flick open my normal Spyderco almost as quickly... (I have switched the clip though so it's blade down so it won't engage when I draw it- but it will be my backup knife)
    Selling the knife? If so Pm me with a price

i steal cookies and food from my friends all the time and they steal from me lol, nothing wrong with kidding around with ur friends. we have friends to do silly things, thats one of their purposes :D get well soon and try to get (at least) less stitches next time ;)

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    It's gonna take a lot more than that for me to lose my craving for some cookies right now! Second of all, hopefully he won't grab for your knife again. I understand that people just play around but the first thing that comes to mind is: How would this friend have reacted had you been carrying a pistol on your belt? I would tell him that playing around is one thing, at the same time make sure you ask him politely yet firmly not to reach for something like that again. If he wants, he can steal a french fry from you later!!
    One should not reach for another's weapons/tools! Just my two-cents.

BTW, if your friends are nervous, tell them that they don't have to carry the knife. Would you switch from a 1911-style to something else if they were offended by you carrying it cocked-and-locked? NOT ME. I carry what I'm comfortable with, not what others are comfortable with me carrying!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Ouch! ..thankfully my Spyderco's never got me ..though my Cold steel voyager has :0 ..but its usually the balisongs that get me with their butterfly kisses :)

ps: I'd still carry it..it'll more than likely never happen again ..just leave it home when you know that friend will be around ;)
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links