5 stitches from my Spyderco

This is a discussion on 5 stitches from my Spyderco within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here is the story. I was at a cabin with some friends and I decided to steal one of my friends cookies out of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5 stitches from my Spyderco

Ok here is the story. I was at a cabin with some friends and I decided to steal one of my friends cookies out of his hand. I walk away and he follows me. He grabs my Spyderco Endura Emerson Wave which was clipped in my pants pocket. The knife automatically opens. I instinctively reach down to grab it- and grab the blade (of course no thinking person would do this but it happened in the blink of an eye). Needless to say the blood gushed and I had to get 5 stitches. My friend was just messing around and didn't mean anything BTW.

Now everyone is telling me how dumb I am for carrying this type of knife. What do you think?
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    Ok here is the story. I was at a cabin with some friends and I decided to steal one of my friends cookies out of his hand. I walk away and he follows me. He grabs my Spyderco Endura Emerson Wave which was clipped in my pants pocket. The knife automatically opens. I instinctively reach down to grab it- and grab the blade (of course no thinking person would do this but it happened in the blink of an eye). Needless to say the blood gushed and I had to get 5 stitches. My friend was just messing around and didn't mean anything BTW.

Now everyone is telling me how dumb I am for carrying this type of knife. What do you think?
    IMHO friend or not... you let him get too close to the knife....

I'm thinking ouch that's gonna leave a mark
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    No objection to the knife, however I wouldn't eat a cookie that someone else had their hands over.

#1, your knife did what it was supposed to do.

#2, you need new friends, if yours habitually grab things from your pockets.

#3, you should post pics of the stitches, for educational purposes.

Lead Moderator
    Learn to bake and make your own cookies next time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

nothing wrong with carrying that knife...but I'd tell that friend that if he ever again tries to take it, he'll get knocked on his butt.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    #3, you should post pics of the stitches, for educational purposes.
    Umm, not a necessity, they would possibly be removed depending....
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Here is a picture for you. I won't be offended if you need to remove it...

HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

I'm thinking, what does grabbing a cookie have to do with a knife in your pocket and why is your friend grabbing it? I'm also thinking you need new friends that aren't idiots playing with dangerous toys.

The only thing I can think of, is that this shows what could happen if someone grabbed your knife that you REALLY didn't want to, such as an aggressor. With a knife that doesn't open automatically, you could still grab it without injury. That's just my initial thought though...by the way, what kind of cookies??
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Ouch!!!! +1 on bringing your own cookies next time.

I'm thinking your friend is the IDIOT, not you. You reacted to somebody taking a weapon from you, even if just playing around you acted on instinct. He needs to learn that you never ever ever do that. My friends know that I'll play around and be a typical "guy" but when it comes to self defense and any weapons I'm carrying it's all business and I will not mess around.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

This is only a personal preference, but I avoid waves for that very reason.

I want ME to be the one openning my knife because I decided to; not because the design of the knife had it open automatically when I draw.

I try to practice access regularly, with an uncooperative training partner when possible. It's comforting when you can consistently draw the knife while someone is punching you or charging you or taking you to the ground.

I say keep your friends but stay away from their cookies.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Ouch, I'd consider serious talk with my friends. About keeping their paws off of my tools. More importantly not to get down on you I would take a look at my awareness. How did he manage to get close enough to grab your knife and take it from you? If he can do it to your knife is it possible for a thug to grab your knife? Or Gun? Situational awareness is the most important aspect of SD there is IMO.

Last I know this does not apply in this case but in self defense when you do grab a blade don't pull on it. If you must grab a blade grab it with a death grip and push towards your assailant. Use their force against them as they will be trying to pull the knife away from you. Press it flat against their body use your free hand to shoot, stab, hit repeat as needed. Yes it hurts but I imagine it will hurt less than being gutted and that is what could happen if a BG not a friend gets ahold of your knife
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links