Carrying a fixed blade

This is a discussion on Carrying a fixed blade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious how and where ya'll carry a fixed blade. Is it concealed? Does it have to be? Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a fixed blade

Member Array carry for protection's Avatar

Carrying a fixed blade

Just curious how and where ya'll carry a fixed blade. Is it concealed? Does it have to be?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Much of this depends on your state and city laws. I carry a TDI weak side between my belt and pants, concealed.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

JD
    Administrator
    Concealed if legal in my location at the time, usually either around the 8 o'clock position or 10-11 o'clock position.

This sheath/knife combo

Works well IWB under a t-shirt

I also carry a tdi weak side at about 5 o'clock (Left side is strong side). Cover garment easily covers it and I've practiced drawing the knife this way. It works well!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Is that a Strider JD?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Is that a Strider JD?
    Nope, it's Goldsworthy.

Hmmm is site was working the other day, now all I get is the items available page...http://www.goldsworthyknives.com/blog/

Kershaw Boot Knife comes with a sheath and a variety of fastening approaches. I carry mine in my right rear pocket in its sheath - concealed!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I carry a Shivworks Clinch Pick off set from my belt buckle, concealed. I conceal it whether I have to or not.

http://www.shivworks.com/clinchpick.asp
    God, country, family.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I've got several nice fixed blades. Unfortunately, in Michigan, it is a Felony to carry a fixed blade of ANY length (even my little Cold Steel Urban Pal, with it's 1.5 inch blade). Only exception is a hunting knife, carried while hunting.

Last time I carried a fixed blade on a regular basis was in Baghdad. Carried a Cold Steel SRK IWB (knives were against my employers policy, though we all had some type for work. I carried the SRK strictly for defense in case of kidnap attempt, etc.). I wish Michigan would adopt a law similar to Florida's, I'd carry a fixed blade all the time. For now, I get by with a quality folding knife, as though they are not legal to carry for defense, they are not illegal to carry for general use.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Cold Steel Safekeeper III...factory sheath but I replaced the worthless clip with a tek-lok. Always concealed (except when I'm taking a picture )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I carry two TDIs in Shawn's Tactical sheaths....until I can get some Clinch Picks. :)

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    I've got several nice fixed blades. Unfortunately, in Michigan, it is a Felony to carry a fixed blade of ANY length (even my little Cold Steel Urban Pal, with it's 1.5 inch blade). Only exception is a hunting knife, carried while hunting.

Last time I carried a fixed blade on a regular basis was in Baghdad. Carried a Cold Steel SRK IWB (knives were against my employers policy, though we all had some type for work. I carried the SRK strictly for defense in case of kidnap attempt, etc.). I wish Michigan would adopt a law similar to Florida's, I'd carry a fixed blade all the time. For now, I get by with a quality folding knife, as though they are not legal to carry for defense, they are not illegal to carry for general use.
    Actually, if your referring to MCL 750.227, then it only restricts one from carrying those instruments "concealed". Normally, I wouldn't want to walk around with a fixed blade hanging from my belt, but if I think there is a chance to go hunting (for me that's quite often), then I might wear one. The fortunate aspect about that law is that hunting season allows me to not worry so much about it being concealed.

I've actually been carrying a Mora 2000 lately. Mind you, I am not carrying it as a weapon, but for hunting, and utility. My occupation places me in a position where I can go hunting on a moments notice, so I just wear the knife regular for when I am going hunting. If I wasn't wearing that, then I'd be wearing a pocket knife.

Summertime, you can carry a fixed blade as long as it isn't concealed, and I've seen people who do. Met a guy at a show last year who carried a Mora. Told me he used to carry a pocket knife, but the Mora was the best knife he'd found yet, so he carried it always. It dangled from his belt by a piece of para cord.

It would be nice if Michigan allowed fixed blade knives for SD, although if I need a weapon to defend myself, I'm going to use anything at hand, be it a knife, a ball point pen, a belt buckle, flashlight, etc. ...

Aloha!

Cannot carry concealed here, but...

Boker Plus MPT carried via Mercharness!!!

God bless and stay frosty!

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    Aloha!

Cannot carry concealed here, but...

Boker Plus MPT carried via Mercharness!!!

God bless and stay frosty!
    Thats the one I want to carry seems the handle would make it easier to conceal, As I've said before darn shame that blade does not come in black too not just the serrated blade. Hey if you can't conceal a knife on the islands I can hold that harness for you here on the mainland
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I often carry a Shivworks Clinch Pick, right on the front of my belt. If worn vertically, rather than at an angle, and especially if adjacent to a mobile phone case, it is very rarely noticed. In my very uptown urban environment, even when noticed, it is usually perceived as "cute," once I mention that it works great for opening the stiff plastic packaging of computer stuff. Of course, I don't actually use the Clinch Pick for that purpose, but it truthfully would work well for that task.

Texas law does not care whether a legal-length and legally-configured blade is fixed or folder, concealed or visible. The blade length limit is 5.5". An often-carried computer bag transports a Duane Dwyer (of Strider Knives) Custom AL with a recurved tanto blade.

I sometimes wear various other fixed blades, the legal ones being a Shivworks Disciple, and a couple of Pikal knives made by Jens Anso. Illegal knives, legal for me due to my peace officer status, include Strider Airwings and karambits, and Randall #1's. The blades in this last paragraph I carry concealed unless "out in the field" somewhere, under which circumstances even private citizens are usually legal to carry larger knives in Texas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links