dang those spyderco bites dont feel nice....

This is a discussion on dang those spyderco bites dont feel nice.... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To not high jack an earlier thread here ya go. I just got my new edc in the mail 20 minutes ago, its a spyderco ...

Thread: dang those spyderco bites dont feel nice....

dang those spyderco bites dont feel nice....

To not high jack an earlier thread here ya go. I just got my new edc in the mail 20 minutes ago, its a spyderco delica wave and as was stated earlier in the week "its not your knife till youve cut yourself". Haha well its definitely already my knife within the first 20 min. Trying to get used to all the mechanics of a new knife to replace my kershaw blur and what do you know its not real easy to close one handed!

I tried to and flicked a little too hard and the serrated part of the combo blade decided to embed itself right on my first knuckle!!!!! Probably could use a few stitches but I just started a new job and am waiting for the insurance to kick in so we will make do! Careful with those spydercos! They are as sharp as claimed right out of the box!

2. Remove Ads

pics or it didn't happen.

haha I just got it all bandaged up and no one here to take a pic(its on my right hand and im right handed) but maybe when the fiance gets back i can get her to take a pic...... after she stops laughing and making me feel like an idiot that is!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    Probably could use a few stitches but I just started a new job and am waiting for the insurance to kick in so we will make do!
    Super Glue works wonders.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I prefer superglue over stitches.

Am I the only one who never cuts myself with my knives? The last time I cut myself must have been like 10 years ago whittling bamboo with an X-acto
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I prefer superglue over stitches.

Am I the only one who never cuts myself with my knives? The last time I cut myself must have been like 10 years ago whittling bamboo with an X-acto
    Funny you ask, I was feeling all high and mighty earlier in the week but a little more humble now. Guess there is a first for everything! I did use superglue on a friends finger once when we where in mexico(you dont want doctors in mexico stitching you up) didnt even think about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Remember the boy scout knives,I cut myself hundreds of times whittling sticks,dang blade would snap shut on my finger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Superglue works wonders, the people I usually get blades from send band-aids with the knives, its awfully thoughtful of them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I own both the Delica (now called the Delica 3), and an Endura Waved. I also used to carry a Endura CE (now called the Endura 3 CE). I always one handed those knives. The kick is supposed to protect your finger. Just make sure your index finger is where it can catch the kick, and it should be fine. Of course, if your finger is too far back from the tang... Did that once myself not ten minutes after getting my orange Rescue Jr. Hadn't even left the store parking lot yet.

Never owned a knife that didn't have my blood on it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Aloha yankeeman,

One of my co-workers did the same thing as you...but he was messing with my Spyderco Matriarch! Next thing i know, I hear my knife drop, see him holding his thumb leaving a blood trail, looking for the first aid kit!

One thing I advocate is this, regardless if the opening "device" is a Hole, disc, or stud: PRESS the knife opened. Find whatever it is with your thumb, be it disc or whatever, and "dig" into it a bit with some pressure and PRESS it open.

I have seen "flickers" not always get the knife opened due to wrong thumb placement, change in pressure, etc...However:

Once you learn how to PRESS the blade open, (by this I mean keep pressure on the blade while opening, until you hear the *click* assuring you it's locked open) you can then PRESS and DETACH...sorta like a flick, and the knife will open as fast as any auto, but you will keep you thumb SAFE because you will learn how to DETACH safely from your blade upon opening. *Trust me on this*.

I have seen a lotta flickers end up with thumb wounds...

God bless and take care!!!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I bought my Kershaw because while I was looking at it in the store I cut myself and bleed all over the knife and the counter. The guys behind the counter says, " I sell a lot of knifes this way".
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Links