got me a kershaw

got me a kershaw

This is a discussion on got me a kershaw within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just got me a Kershaw Leek Serrated 1660ST . i know it's on the low-end of knife defense, but from the reviews I've read about ...

Thread: got me a kershaw

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

got me a kershaw

just got me a Kershaw Leek Serrated 1660ST. i know it's on the low-end of knife defense, but from the reviews I've read about it, seems to be high quality for the price! I'm excited to start practicing defensive techniques with it!

- p
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have one of those and love how it looks and it is a good knife. The problem is how slick it can/would be in a defensive situation. Your hand would easily slide down it.

Enjoy the knife and when you get a chance, get something with a bit more grip.

Still, I love mine and I think the all stainless makes for a good looking, well crafted knife that'll last a long time!

The Leek is a good little knife for general use. However, it would NOT be my pick for a defensive knife. I feel that the handle is too small and slick to for the user to obtain or maintain a robust "fighting grip."
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I picked up the same knife a couple of weeks ago. I also checked out a "Blur". I felt the "Blur" was a little too big for my purposes so I left with the "Leek".

Have a leek and a blur ... agree with the comments; not my first choice for SD, but it sure is a great little knife! Quality.

The Blur on the other hand is nice and grippy :)
    First choice for SD? I'll pick up the SOG Tech Bowie everytime.

For the price, a great knife. I own the 1660G10 with the S30v blade and G10 handle scales. It's my EDC knife during the summer because it's fairly light even though it has a 3" blade and the G10 offers amazing grip. I switch to a BM Griptilian for the winter months though.

Great knife, and should you ever need it, EXCELLENT customer service.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have the 1660ST also. Just ordered a new torsion spring. Customer service is fast and friendly. No charge.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I have Kershaw Chive alot like the Leek with a slight recurve blade, that I like very much an excellent blade but also not what I would call my primary SD blade. As far as handle size the knife that I think would be an excellent EDC blade for SD and my next knife buy is a Boker MPT

It has a very small handle easy to conceal but designed to give you a very solid combat grip
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I have Kershaw Chive alot like the Leek with a slight recurve blade, that I like very much an excellent blade but also not what I would call my primary SD blade. As far as handle size the knife that I think would be an excellent EDC blade for SD and my next knife buy is a Boker MPT

It has a very small handle easy to conceal but designed to give you a very solid combat grip
    Aloha LongRider,

Not to hijack this thread, but thank you...(BTW, same LongRider from BF?)

God bless and stay frosty!

This is what I carry in addition to a xd .40

I got this knife from my brother in law. He is in the Army, as far as I know this knife cant be purchased by normal civilians. ( I could be wrong tho)
    Attached Images

I carry the Kershaw 1550 ST Blackout. For me it's the right size, grip and feel. The black color stands out a lot less that the 1660 ST.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    Aloha LongRider,

Not to hijack this thread, but thank you...(BTW, same LongRider from BF?)

God bless and stay frosty!
    Yep the one and only. That is where I saw your excellently designed MPT. I have your SubCom and still amazed at how well it mates to my hand. I get a better grip on my tiny SubCom than lots of my full sized knives. So I know your handle magic works and should make the MPT easy to carry and conceal. My guess is it will be fast and nimble in my hand too
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I bought my Leek for those times when I am wearing a pair of dress slacks and I need a slim profile knife. I carry the rainbow version and it seems to go unnoticed.
    God bless our troops!

I have the Kershaw Ken Onion Series Storm II - Serrated. Ken Onion's Storm provides rugged styling with sure-grip Trac-Tec handle inserts. The 3 1/2 inch blade has a modified style with a slightly upturned tip and deep belly for excellent leverage. I just love this knife! Easy to open, and makes a great skinning knife too. Sorry about the pic, it was the best I could do for now.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have one of these: Kershaw Oso Sweet

Its sharp as all get-out, but I haven't durability tested it. Its part of my EDC.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson

Links