UK - Spyderco UK Penknife or SAK?

UK - Spyderco UK Penknife or SAK?

This is a discussion on UK - Spyderco UK Penknife or SAK? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm scheduled to deploy to a plant on the east coast of England for a few weeks, and will obviously have to leave most of ...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Question UK - Spyderco UK Penknife or SAK?

I'm scheduled to deploy to a plant on the east coast of England for a few weeks, and will obviously have to leave most of my EDC stuff at home. Since I can't carry one of my normal knives (or even my leatherman, since its blades lock), I'm going to bring a small SAK. I was also considering the Spyderco UK Penknife, but it is pretty expensive for something I wouldn't carry here. Is it worth investing in an easier to open, one handed Spyderco? I don't want to risk having it confiscated and running afoul of the ridiculous laws, but as far as I can tell, both of these meet the letter of the law for legal carry, and I hardly look or dress like a yobbo or chav. I also won't be spending much, if any, time in London - mostly I'll just be working and sleeping.

Am I overthinking this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I'm scheduled to deploy to a plant on the east coast of England for a few weeks, and will obviously have to leave most of my EDC stuff at home. Since I can't carry one of my normal knives (or even my leatherman, since its blades lock), I'm going to bring a small SAK. I was also considering the Spyderco UK Penknife, but it is pretty expensive for something I wouldn't carry here. Is it worth investing in an easier to open, one handed Spyderco? I don't want to risk having it confiscated and running afoul of the ridiculous laws, but as far as I can tell, both of these meet the letter of the law for legal carry, and I hardly look or dress like a yobbo or chav. I also won't be spending much, if any, time in London - mostly I'll just be working and sleeping.

Am I overthinking this?
    Aloha Chooie,

IMHO, go with that SAK. All things considered, the UKPK is pricey and considering you will not be there long...
    However, the UKPK could easily be re-sold as Spyderco's tend to hold their value...you may not get what you paid for it, but then again, who knows? Some Constable might be willing to shell out some Euro's for it!

Again, re-read first sentence. Just my two cents.

Have a good trip, and be safe, and God bless!

Even though the knife may be legal it is still possible to be arrested or have the knife confiscated by the police if you cannot justify having it on you. Also it is illegal in the UK to carry any knife into a Bar\Pub, school, or to a sporting event i.e. soccer.
    I lived in the UK for 10 years and my Mom still lives their () so feel free to PM me any questions you may have.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Yeah, I understand as much... thanks for the response. I'm not overly concerned about losing a $13 SAK, but as I said, I don't intend to spend a bunch of time getting drunk and being stupid. I'm going over there to work and bank money, not to blow it.

Links