What ever happened to the butterfly knife?

This is a discussion on What ever happened to the butterfly knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few Benchmades I bought in 1988, (my ex has a few too ) I have a couple new ones from Benchmade and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What ever happened to the butterfly knife?

Butterflies

I have a few Benchmades I bought in 1988, (my ex has a few too) I have a couple new ones from Benchmade and Microtech as well. Here in FL, it's a "concealed weapon permit". I carry them all the time. I also make them, and you can, too.

Typhoon
    Tsunami

Tons of fun, order some and give it a try. You can simply screw one together or make it as fancy as your talent allows.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/about_us.php#gallery

2. Remove Ads

We used the old saying, "down, round, up!" We used to also have the ninja stars! Now that's what you call a youth well spent!

PETA is gonna get all of you guys! Why would anyone need a knife for a butterfly? And another thing, what kind of cruel moron would tape a duck?
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

The Best cheaper(affordable) ones I've found (and by far) is 'the Twist' model by knife designer Darrel Ralph ..these are available in Typhoon kits Or sold by M-tech(for much less) but the quality is still about the same(amazingly) ..they all have heavy 'real' stainless steel handles, latch etc..(Not soft cast-zamack ''pot metal') like on many cheapies..so the pins don't wear in and loosen them up right away

I have both the Silver and Spectrum versions, and they are both really nice.

The drop-point blade design is very much like that of an earlier version of the BM wee-hawk(Nice) ..and shaving sharp.

Just be sure to Lock-tite (blue) All the screws..this is important with All newer non-rivet Balis, cheap or expensive.(links)...
    The Twist Butterfly Knife by M Tech Extreme (Silver) - Blade Play
    The Twist Butterfly Knife by M Tech Extreme (Spectrum) - Blade Play
    *Typhoon-Twister Trainer - Parts Kit - Twist Handle
    Last edited by flyby; February 13th, 2009 at 01:09 AM.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

scm
    I went to a freinds adoption hearing at the courthouse. My 17 year old set off the metal detector and out comes his knife. The guard looked at him and ask to handle it. Upon opening it he said: "Oh good, it's one sided. You can pick it up when you leave."
    That boy got an ear full when we got outside. Mostly, "WARN ME NEXT TIME!"

I think when the newer assisted opening knives came out on the market, the Balisong butterfly lost some of its appeal as a quickly opened knife. Plus the fact that some jurisdictions have banned them for carrying certainly did not help matters.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I love Bali's. Carried a Benchmade #69 (I think?) short Tanto blade for about 8 years. It was eventually replaced by a (far more practical) Spyderco Endura (roughly the same time I stopped carrying the Combat Commander and started carrying the Glock 17, circa 1987?).

Got back into them a couple years ago. Bought a Jaguar (Chinese Cheappie). Then a Benchmade 42 (sweet!). Then I went a little nuts and started spending a ton collecting. Got Benchmade 32 (Morpho), 41SS, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 and Spyder Fly in standard and Rainbow. Also picked up a Cold Steel Arc Angel. And a Filipino hand made from Luzon (bought on GunBroker from a Naval Officer who brought it back years ago).

These aren't the most convenient knives, and are illegal to carry some places (gray area here in Michigan). Illegal to import. But the "coolness factor" will be there always.

A few pics of the Benchmades...

And the hand made Filipino original

Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Impressive collection there T Bone!
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Thanks!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I've got an old Benchmade I bought going on 15 yrs ago that I used to carry as a "pocket knife". Although mine did have a sheath designed to carry it flat on the belt, VA law prevents carrying them if I remember correctly so alas...I no longer carry it. I still keep it around for fun at home though.

These days I just stick with my Kershaw assisted opener for carry.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The BenchMade Balisong Model 42

As soon as I get to 25 posts, I will be listing this brand new knife in another sub-forum.

Nice BM Balisong collection T-Bone!

People that think balis are outdated don't realize they are still the strongest most stable folding fast action knife design around..and of course still very fast with a little practice :)
    Is unfortunate the biased laws that plagued autos(in many states) usually follows the butterfly knife as well :(
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

I have a benchmade 42 at the house with a nice handmade leather sheath for it.

It is fun to flip but I don't carry it b/c I think if I was ever in a self defense situation it would be looked down on by the DA.

Plus it is slower to draw than a regular pocket knife with a clip.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

T-bone, nice collection. The only butterfly knife that I have left is the one that I also picked up when I was in the PI back during the war. Probably made out of a file blank with black plasitc scales. It was fun to play with but I was leary of putting too sharp an edge on it.................

I have a number of balisongs/butterfly knives (Benchmade, Spyderco, Jaguar). They're fun to play with learning various openings (I know about 25 various openings include some aerials) but with respect of SD I don't think they are very practical. The fine motor skills required for many of the openings would just not be very high probability in an SD situation. Even some of the very basic openings require a few extra tenths of a second to accomplish versus what I can do with a standard folder.

In my opinion the time and effort you have to devote to get really good at opening a balisong would be better spend gettng very proficient at a few opens with a folder and spending the rest of the time training application of the blade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links